• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Mac N Cheese Throwdown Official Thread

Who has the best Mac N Cheese?

• SumOfMyBits' Mackin' Peeza

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • QuadShotz's 3-Cheese Mac with Salmon, Roasted Garlic, and Mushrooms... and a Dorset Naga

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • frydad4's Mac In Choke

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • texas blues' Golden King Crab Mac & Cheese

• SumOfMyBits' Calzonis Macaronis

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • QuadShotz's Drunken Buffalo Mac Attack

• JayT's Lobster Mac-n-Cheese

• Noshownate's Fiery Chicken Mac N Cheese

• 5oclocksomewhere's Cheesy Mac N Peppers

• FiveStar's Mac'apeno

• texas blues' Triple Mushroom Head Mac & Cheese

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
thp, you missed the point, that was my culinary whooping...not trying to do anything illegal.

hope we get more competition!!!

That calzone looks slammin! No foo foo there.

No, I got the point, but old pics cause confusion.

Drunken Buffalo Mac Attack

Ok, I have to admit fail on no flames..I was gonan flambe the burger wit the bourbon...but i ended up having more bourbon in me than seemed safe to ignite...

But, it still's gonna rock.

Behold:

S6303739.jpg

Burger:

Ground 100% Wyoming Buffalo, worstershire, cayenne, sea salt & black pepper, granulated garlic, the cooked macaroni, shredded cheddar & mozz, a shot of Stout and some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce spiked with Ghost Pepper Sauce.

Fixin's

Red Bell Pepper and Walla Walla Sweet Onions, hardwood-smoked bacon, and more cheese. EVOO'd up a Kaiser roll and put in the toaster oven to get all comfy.

Ok..

Started off by frying up the bacon to a yummy crispness...gonna need that delish bacon fat later...

Meanwhile, formed a patty outa the meaty-mac stuff...then stuck in foil and put it into the freezer to firm up so it wouldn't fall apart.

S6303746.jpg

Now, the vegies are nice and carmelized in the yummy bacon greese....set 'em aside to wait their turn with the bacon and cheese.

S6303753.jpg

Boozey Cooking Time!!

Following the Julia Childs rule of two for the cook one for the pot here... liberal splashes of killer Young's Double Chocolate Stout on the burger...

S6303755.jpg

Ya can't belive the fragrance of the cholate stout mixing with bacon fat and a frying hunk of Buffalo...unfreekin' real.

MoNeY SHoT + possibly a new kinda booze shot, coming up...

Here comes JayT...

Ok, I guess everyone knows that I am doing lobster so this will be JayT's Lobster Mac-n-Cheese.

Ingredients for this masterpiece include:

butter
flour
cream
onion
poblano
scotch bonnet
baby bella mushrooms
Reisling
gouda
mascapone
grueyere
asiago
thyme
taragon
saffron
sea salt
black pepper
white pepper
garlic
panko breadcrumbs
1 1/2lbs elbow macaroni
two 1 1/2lb lobsters
two bread bowls (one is sourdough, the other is marble rye)

Ingredients:

1-1.jpg

Me in action:

2-1.jpg

The cheese sauce (started as a blonde roux then cooked the veggies for a minute, added the wine, cream, and cheeses)

3-1.jpg

The mac is cooked and about to mix in the lobster:

4-1.jpg

Into the casserole and the oven:

6.jpg

The bread bowls:

7.jpg

Part 2 of Drunken Buffalo Mac Attack

Ok kiddies...this may be rated PG-13 for gratuitus boozin' and aggravated misconduit involving meat... ;)

It's insane.

Also decided to make a shot of the bourbon + the stout...pretty damn good.

S6303758.jpg

It's not normal! Aieeeeee!

S6303760.jpg

SO, there ya go...a drunk buffalo mac attack!!

Cheers,

QS

out of the oven:

8.jpg

Obligatory booze shot (have to drink wine with this much foo foo!):

9.jpg

The money shot:

10.jpg

That is all...

Sum...that crumpled can in the pic had me laughin' my ass off! That calzone rocks!

Quady...kudo's for creativity on the mac "burger". Deglaze with stout? Jury's out on that one.

JayT....I knew it! i was thinkin' bread bowl 2 weeks ago! Awesome!

I haven't cracked my first hosky yet. Crackin' in one hour, cookin' in two. I'm bringin' the kung foo foo too ya'll.

Salute', TB.

texas blues said:
Quady...kudo's for creativity on the mac "burger". Deglaze with stout? Jury's out on that one.

Thx!

To be honest, I got the idea from Rachel Ray...but mine's better. ;)

Actually, I was doing the reverse with the stout..

It added a buttload of flavor and along with the bacon/buffalo fat made a spiffy carmelizing happen on the burger...buffalo is a rather dry and lean meat. With the embedded pasta units (EPU), it needed it. :)

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! I'm actually gonna make the throwdown!!!!

OK, as far as the previous entries go, I'm sure they'll whoop my ass. It's great to see so much seafood being paired with cheese, since I used to live with a guy who swore up and down that shrimp, crab, and lobster didn't pair well with cheese. He promptly made his way out of my life...

Was off doin a bunch of other shit this weekend, but I'm back in time to make the Mac n Cheese happen. Thought I'd be crying in the dark closet of FAIL since my camera batteries died after the first prep pic, but I got my girlfriend to drive my drunk ass to the store for more batteries.

Lightnin Hopkins record spinning on the turntable as we speak, so I've got serious mojo vibratin up in the cheezeyness. Think I might hold the pan in front of the speakers a bit before it hits the oven. Pics later, more tequila and beer is needed now.

THROWDOWNS FTW!!!!

FiveStar said:
I used to live with a guy who swore up and down that shrimp, crab, and lobster didn't pair well with cheese. He promptly made his way out of my life...

SO, now you have a new man in your life? :shocked:

Hahahahaa!

FIERY CHICKEN MAC N CHEESE

take a seat
Here she is!

main ingredients:

2 Lightly marinated Chicken Breast
cream cheese
softened butter
half/half
parmesan cheese
mozzarella
1 LOng hot
2 fresh orange hab
2 sundried orange habs (crushed)
2 jalapenos
1lb cut macaroni
5 slices hickory smoked bacon yes
IMG00159.jpg

then..

Bacon going as well
mrs. noshow killin it!
IMG00162.jpg

and...
last but not least.
IMG00167.jpg

it's ok get in there
IMG00169.jpg

oh yeah carmelized peppers n bacon on top

No fair...he's got a busty young lovely...cooking bacon no less!

And she's just my size...muhahaha! (j/k)

*falls over amonst the empties*

texas blues said:
Sum...that crumpled can in the pic had me laughin' my ass off! That calzone rocks!

JayT....I knew it! i was thinkin' bread bowl 2 weeks ago! Awesome!

I haven't cracked my first hosky yet. Crackin' in one hour, cookin' in two. I'm bringin' the kung foo foo too ya'll.

Salute', TB.

@TB- that can got me a little vexed. I was terribly vexed... don't know how he got in the shot.

@Quad- nice looking entry for the burger throwdown! ;)

@JayT- I was thinking mac stuffed lobster, but good show.

5* [Edit: $#!t, I meant noshownate], sittin' on the dock by the bay... [Edit: 5*]bring that mojo with a side of yucca fries.

This throwdown is going from cold to melting hot.

QuadShotz said:
SO, now you have a new man in your life? :shocked:

Hahahahaa!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH SHIT! Quad got JOKES! :rofl:

Yeah, actually I live with two women now. My GF, and her lovely sister. That was in my bachelor days. Lived with 4 other guys in a huge ass house. It was cheap while we lived there, but cleaning up that place when we all moved out was hell!

NoShow, excellent dispaly of teamwork! You get extra points for a shot of the lady cooking bacon! I can't believe you were the first to use bacon though. I figured TB would have a Bacon Weave pot pie crust top and bottom on one of his entries, so I strayed away. But now you're the one shining pork laden entry!

FiveStar said:
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH SHIT! Quad got JOKES! :rofl:

Yeah, actually I live with two women now. My GF, and her lovely sister. That was in my bachelor days. Lived with 4 other guys in a huge ass house. It was cheap while we lived there, but cleaning up that place when we all moved out was hell!

NoShow, excellent dispaly of teamwork! You get extra points for a shot of the lady cooking bacon! I can't believe you were the first to use bacon though. I figured TB would have a Bacon Weave pot pie crust top and bottom on one of his entries, so I strayed away. But now you're the one shining pork laden entry!

Heheh, np ;)

Acutually..i used liek 5 slices of bacon in the burger...whihc technically ws first..he broke up my postinz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back