• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! The Best Meal I Ever Ate TD

The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Impy because of the Brie! Huge fan of Brie got about 2lbs of it right now!
Wanted to vote for others, but not a fan of eggs (sorry SD), and really wish there were juniper berries added to the smoking of the pastrami (sorry frydad).
Everybody's dishes looked awesome, really wanted to vote for others. Jayt's lobster bisque and salt cured bass almost had me to.
Aaron

So my noob mistake has put me on the other side of this little shin-dig. But I am proud to vote for Scovie on this one. Nothing I love more and my wife hates more than runny eggs. About to take a trip just for some of that goodness. I cant tell you how many times my wife has left the table because my plate is covered in yellow. Man, so delicious! Anyways, great job everyone but I can only cast one. Eggs made it easy.

Thank you guys for the votes! Holy :expletive deleted:! That :expletive deleted: ROCKS!

So much GREAT food. EVERYONE, GREAT FOOD!
I think "Best in Show" photo has to be Impy's steak burger-runny brie....

My vote had to go to Texas Blues... :tips hat: :spitoowee:

My Mom would burn boiling water, and got Bones in toast.
But her Meatloaf was guuuuud! and she put chorizo in it.
Great looking Meatloaf TB and I'm mostly jealous of the sammiches...
And thanks for reminding me of Mom's meatloaf!

i couldn't resist the seafood... jay got my vote...

right this minute i'm craving the fried chicken though...

and i used to have a girlfriend in pittsburgh so the primanti's hits home as well...

I had to go with SD. I believe unless you cook eggs for a living its very hard to get consistant eggs looking like those so great job!
SL almost had me since fettucini is my absolute favorite food along with Jay T's lobster. YUMMY!!!

I loved all the stories. Good job everyone!!!

Just had leftover pastrami for dinner.

So damn good!!!

I know there are pit-masters on this thread.
Consider dry rubbing a rinsed corned beef and smoke it for a bit.
Don't use salt in the rub, just a bunch of black pepper and spices (pastrami rub).
Someone said you need juniper berry, but I used allspice.

It really turned out great, even better than I expected!!

Had to vote for sumofmybits I would have happily eaten 8 of them at any time ( +my own ;) ) but his stood out to me.

Rub it in whydontcha!

Make sure that pan is THICK RM, a husband killer THAT big better conduct some heat from little tiny burners!!!! So jealous!
Is it Cast Iron or enameled c.i.?

Neither a Paella Pan or Paderno is either Carbon Steel or Satinless Steel. The better and true Spanish ones are Carbon Steel. Also traditionally a true Paella is cooked over an open fire, fueled by orange and pine branches along with pine cones. This produces an aromatic smoke which infuses the paella. Also, dinner guests traditionally eat directly out of the pan

Right now though I just waiting on 2 fresh loaves of Sourdough to finish proofing so I can egg wash them and get them into a hot oven.

Rub it in whydontcha!
OK- I just finished a serving of leftover fettuccine apollo with extra parm and another little dash of scorp powder.

OK- had to go with a fellow Swamp Mama Johnson groupie.

Nice job all!

I think Scoville DeVille pulled it off, with the story, and actually remembering the 5 different recipes. Scov did you have to look at a menu or something, or did you really remember them all? I know they were probably not exact but still... they obviously made an impression, and that's the idea. Hard to cook perfect poached eggs. How many are in the garbage? :)

Or was that all made up?! :lol: An eggs-benedict-only restaurant, and you slid the guy $100 for eggs!

I voted for Impy because of the Brie! Huge fan of Brie got about 2lbs of it right now!
Wanted to vote for others, but not a fan of eggs (sorry SD), and really wish there were juniper berries added to the smoking of the pastrami (sorry frydad).
Everybody's dishes looked awesome, really wanted to vote for others. Jayt's lobster bisque and salt cured bass almost had me to.
Aaron

Yay I got a vote! I'm a huge brie fan as well, and that was actually why I decided on getting those particular sliders. They had some other yummy sounding ones, as well, like turkey and cranberry. I actually came in pretty late to the brie game. I only first had it around 2007. Now I eat it all the time :).

And Sum it still tickles me that you know Jerome!! That's awesome.

Lots of great-looking dishes this go-round, but these are particularly noteworthy:

Scovie - I was very impressed, and won't believe it if you ever say you can't cook again!
Ela - Your dish looks amazingly FRESH and delicious.
RM - That paella makes me drool; I had to do a coin toss on this one.
JayT - Dude. Seriously? If I ever come visit, you're going to HAVE to make that again, but this time without BP! Yeah, you got my vote anyway!

Yeah, I "made up" a story about eggs benedict :crazy: yeah I remember like it was 3 weeks ago.
I'd rather "make up" a story about yachts and hot tubs etc.....

Poached Eggs?... Garbage-0... SD-5.

Thanks to all who voted!
Sooo much good food to look at and drool over.

Want me to burn you some Swamp Mama Johnson Dan?
They put out 4 CD's while they were together.
Not as hard as you guys, but still good...
PM me.

Wow just Wow to everyone who entered. This is my second one voting in and about the 7 or 8th I have looked up and in at least those this was the toughest to judge as they were all well above par in quality and presentation. To kick it to boot many were it sounds quite intoxicated either from the beginning or by the time it was plated up. Could you imagine if one of the cooking contest shows made one of the challenges require the contestants to drink a form of alcohol all during the challenge. I would venture to say many would not finish there entry at the level our members do here. SO I ended up making two lists one of the dishes and one of the stories about them and numbered them from my favorite down. I then added each members numbers up and JayT and SD tied for the top spot. I finally went with JayT because I think it took a lot of skill on several levels and would have given even an Iron Chef a run for the money.

I was just keeding! I already said you nailed it!

onefowl1, you are SO right on that drinking and cooking thing, although I know of a couple TV chefs who were perfectly happy slurping and stirring.

Graham Kerr and (our own favorite) Keith Floyd. If anyone wants a good laugh and see some early cooking mastery, youtube Keith Floyd

Scovie---DIBS on one of the SMJ cds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back