• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Adam, Scott, Bill, Penny, Sy, Arrik, Carl, Annie, Lourens and all others I send lots of pepper love back at you all \o/

While I’m replying to Annie below it’s intended to all my Pepper loving buds on THP = )

annie57 said:

Heck, mi hermano, why close it? Unless you've started a new secret glog? :shh: (Where is it? :shh: :) )
Not sure if you noticed but I’ve been away for a while now and have been unable to keep up reading anyone’s glog much less read or post into my 2013 glog. My father always instilled in me … Ramon if you are going to do something you might as well do it right and at this point I can’t, so my apologies to you and all my great friends here =/ Maybe I’ll start a thread where I can post some pics and provide some updates if my girls survive my poor behavior this year, not sure yet let’s see how things progress.

When I did my 2013 grow I was only working on contract and not that busy, now I am putting in 10+ hour days, traveling and not enough time for my family or peppers. I have been away the last 2 weeks and snowed in during the storm up north. Yea New York didn’t get as much snow as others but what it got was enough to delay my return to my beloved tropical zone for over 4 days and one night at the airport was more than I was willing to put in =/

I have no idea how you guys do it, I wear shorts year round down here, even in our winters …. Just can’t get use to long underwear, sweaters, coats & more coats, etc, etc, although I certainly enjoy a nice scarf, lol. Hats off to all you northern growers with such a short season, awesome job everyone!

annie57 said:
Thank you so much, my friend, for helping me so much throughout 2013 grow season and being such an inspiration to us all!

Your too kind my pepper growing, powder making, sauce making, song singing, guitar jamming, recording artist, teaching momma, people loving, Spanish speaking and much much mas ... you're wonderful human being!!!!

I say the same back at you Annie and to all the others that I have learned from here, thanks and Hat’s off to everyone \o_

WalkGood said:
Adam, Scott, Bill, Penny, Sy, Arrik, Carl, Annie, Lourens and all others I send lots of pepper love back at you all \o/

While I’m replying to Annie below it’s intended to all my Pepper loving buds on THP = )

Not sure if you noticed but I’ve been away for a while now and have been unable to keep up reading anyone’s glog much less read or post into my 2013 glog. My father always instilled in me … Ramon if you are going to do something you might as well do it right and at this point I can’t, so my apologies to you and all my great friends here =/ Maybe I’ll start a thread where I can post some pics and provide some updates if my girls survive my poor behavior this year, not sure yet let’s see how things progress.

When I did my 2013 grow I was only working on contract and not that busy, now I am putting in 10+ hour days, traveling and not enough time for my family or peppers. I have been away the last 2 weeks and snowed in during the storm up north. Yea New York didn’t get as much snow as others but what it got was enough to delay my return to my beloved tropical zone for over 4 days and one night at the airport was more than I was willing to put in =/

I have no idea how you guys do it, I wear shorts year round down here, even in our winters …. Just can’t get use to long underwear, sweaters, coats & more coats, etc, etc, although I certainly enjoy a nice scarf, lol. Hats off to all you northern growers with such a short season, awesome job everyone!

Your too kind my pepper growing, powder making, sauce making, song singing, guitar jamming, recording artist, teaching momma, people loving, Spanish speaking and much much mas ... you're wonderful human being!!!!

I say the same back at you Annie and to all the others that I have learned from here, thanks and Hat’s off to everyone \o_

Ramon, Best of luck in your endeavors. It sounds like life is calling you away from your pepper friends for a little bit which I'm sure we can all understand. Just stop by and give us some updates here and there! 

Where in NY did you end up? Those are my native stomping grounds. I grew up in the Lake George region and went to school in Potsdam at the top of the state. Always a solid week or two in winter up in Potsdam around -10 to -20, -40 with wind. If you don't grow up in it you will never be used to it. I would gladly trade for your tropics to grow all year! 

also in palm beach brother but im new to growing got 5 ghost scorps and 5 moruga's do you kno what pots a should plant them in, how often i should water, soil, etc.

Ramon brother - hope you are well and coping with the stress of the contract work. We have missed you and hope that you'll get a chance some time to pop in and catch up. Just to let you know, your JA Habas have grown like demons here in SA. They are awesome my friend. The White Bhuts had a wee spot of trouble with aphids, but are doing just fine now and making up for lost time. The MOA Scotch Bonnets also, had a wee problem with aphids but are into making loads of pods... can't wait to try the latter ones ;) That's all from SA - thinking about you lots my friend... hope you are well, wherever you are - Capsaicin! :D

Hola to all the great peeps here, I truly miss everyone and woot what great grows everyone has going. The quality and caliber here has gone thru da roof ... I hope everyone is doing great!

Am I still growing, yes but haven’t taken proper care of the ladies in a long time which has lead to fugly plants, some losses and lower yields. But that’s fine, still producing enough to enjoy fresh pods with meals and enough to powder.

I’m preparing a post to share soon and since I don’t have a new glog I’ve decided to play [SIZE=12pt]"Wake the Dead," [/SIZE] hehe. I’ll try to get in up dis weekend, Hab a great day =)

Hi Ramon! Glad to see ya pop in! The MoA seeds you sent me last year were great producers, and I'm definitely hooked on the variety. I ended up making about 4 quarts of peach-bonnet sauce and 4 batches of Jerk chicken with the pods from the 3 plants I grew.
Cheers!

+1 everyone!  Good to see your blog on page one, my friend!  

The JA Hab and MoA seeds produced some awesome pods this
season; thanks, Ramon!

Back