• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

R! Entertainment Television ... so to say

;)
Stay tuned, we'll be right back after this commercial break ...
"Are your plants looking beat up, tired or just not lively enough? Have your pod sizes started to diminish and is production lower? You should take a serious look at the new sargassum & kelp killer combo, mixed to give your plants impressive grow, production & vitality ... produced & bottled via a joint venture from stc3248 & WalkGood, give your plants that tantalizing taste of weed mon!" lols ;)

Not much kelp washes up on the beach riverbed in these parts. Some mud plantian dies back in the fall -wonder it it packs any magic seaweedical punch....maybe. I have considering hauling sand by the bucket off the riverbed -100yds, uphill, both ways. On account of the magnificently dense clay around here But I got what Shane has -it's seasonal -just flares up on me when there's a season.

They want $40 a ton for it around here! For sand!

Coffee and eggs. Good combo. I had such miserable success with eggs because they dried out so fast with my mix. Coffee does seem to hold water well.
Goferit!

Great info coming from the Coffee experiment there Ramon, have you started wo work any with the coffee tea or just the grounds? Actually I wonder what adding like 10% to say 15% coffee tea to the Kelp tea you like touse might do? Add some Nitrogen at the least, but who know. I'm starting to use a very mild coffee tea with some added Blackstrap Molassas for the babies in the solo cups. Supposed to be getting some rain today too.

Cheers Bro

Your transplant looks like it will make it. Fingers crossed for you, man. I mean, how can it lose with such a cool duck standing guard? Just noticed in one pic that it seems your place backs to a waterway. Very nice. I'll be very interested to see how the seeds germ in pure coffee grounds. Now that would be cool. Eggs and coffee, a breakfast of champions!

Not much kelp washes up on the beach riverbed in these parts. Some mud plantian dies back in the fall -wonder it it packs any magic seaweedical punch....maybe. I have considering hauling sand by the bucket off the riverbed -100yds, uphill, both ways. On account of the magnificently dense clay around here But I got what Shane has -it's seasonal -just flares up on me when there's a season.

They want $40 a ton for it around here! For sand!

Coffee and eggs. Good combo. I had such miserable success with eggs because they dried out so fast with my mix. Coffee does seem to hold water well.
Goferit!
I believe the best place for you to harvest would be the beach but it’s been years since I surfed Cape Hatteras so I don’t recall the seaweed there. There is some interesting info click here (2nd paragraph) about the types in NC but I bet you have better info than I. I’m sure there’s a season for it there, I read an article back in 07 click here that shows the same stuff I use Sargassum.

The tests I’ve been doing with coffee are to see if I can make a mix that the fungal gnats don’t like. Even when I get rid of them for a while they seem to show back up at my seedlings, I never had this issue in the past :/

Great info coming from the Coffee experiment there Ramon, have you started wo work any with the coffee tea or just the grounds? Actually I wonder what adding like 10% to say 15% coffee tea to the Kelp tea you like touse might do? Add some Nitrogen at the least, but who know. I'm starting to use a very mild coffee tea with some added Blackstrap Molassas for the babies in the solo cups. Supposed to be getting some rain today too.

Cheers Bro
Bill I first started with the coffee tea per Tom’s (Cycadjungle) recipe. In the past I always had it in the soil but had never used it as ground cover. I think the ground cover keeps ants away or at least this has been my observation but I prefer the seaweed ground cover as it does the same but probably with more beneficial trace elements. Per Tom’s feedback I’m only using the coffee tea to spray for bugs now rather than a weekly spray as some type of fert. I think there’s enough coffee in the soil to provide that. I have not tested coffee in my seaweed tea and I don’t see a need to do that, the seaweed is good enough on it’s own. The Molassas into the seaweed might get the thing going faster but I’m a little worried about anything sweet in there that could attract ants again. For now I’m good with the tests and I like to throw in that I don’t see any gnats around the coffee starters but only time will tell as I did see one the first day next to the eggs. BTW for anyone wondering it’s not the eggs that attract the gnats as I have seedlings in small pots that get them too. Yes I’ve done the Mosquito dunks but they come back after time :/

Your transplant looks like it will make it. Fingers crossed for you, man. I mean, how can it lose with such a cool duck standing guard? Just noticed in one pic that it seems your place backs to a waterway. Very nice. I'll be very interested to see how the seeds germ in pure coffee grounds. Now that would be cool. Eggs and coffee, a breakfast of champions!
I hope she does, it’s my fault as I gave her too much soapy water. So far I don’t see new growth and that’s not a good sign, but we have rain later so maybe that will stimulate something. Yes the duck is a prize collection as I did not enter the wacky duck race that year and found it much later, was surprised no one else had snatched it up, cleaned her and she looks good now :) The 50/50 coffee & soil mix yields 2 sprouts so far, it will be interesting if 100% coffee can do it, kinda thick & too moist but we’ll see. I only hope it works to keep gnats away … probably someone else has done this before, hope they chime in and save me time, lol.

Took me a min to get caught up der mon! That transplant will survive man. They are strong plants bud!
You are right, IMHO peppers are very resilient but in this case I over did the poison for the nematodes … hope she makes it.

Stay tuned, we'll be right back after this commercial break ...
"Are your plants looking beat up, tired or just not lively enough? Have your pod sizes started to diminish and is production lower? You should take a serious look at the new sargassum & kelp killer combo, mixed to give your plants impressive grow, production & vitality ... produced & bottled via a joint venture from stc3248 & WalkGood, give your plants that tantalizing taste of weed mon!" lols ;)

OMG! Now all y'all need is a Superthrive website! :rofl: smh :rofl:

Ramon...wonder if mixing some slug bait into your mix would get the gnat larvae...bet it would. I had huge gnat trouble last year, but thankfully have stayed clean this year. The thought of slug bait just occurred to me...

Mosquito dunk water, Shane, has worked for me--indoors and out--washed down onion transplants with 1 5 gallon bucket mosquito dunk water for gnat larvae. Not seen anymore gnats or evidence of gnat larvae damage.The actual gnats don't do the damage but see a fungus gnat, it's been a mama or daddy or about to be. Since I off-gas the chlorine in tap water in 5 gal buckets, just crush a dunk in a paint strainer to contain it--Bti is Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis--completely organic, won't kill fish, pets, kids, anything except mosquito larvae, fly larvae, fungus gnat larvae. And for some dang reason the adults are attracted to the water. I just scoop em out, dead, use the water indoors too. Helps and won't hurt anything . . . unless ya a nasty plant eating larva ;)

Ramon...wonder if mixing some slug bait into your mix would get the gnat larvae...bet it would. I had huge gnat trouble last year, but thankfully have stayed clean this year. The thought of slug bait just occurred to me...
Very nice idea, another test … right now I’m feeling all tested out, hehe. I will probably try this down the line, this years problems have all been new, never dem issues in the past here ;) One neighbor started yard spraying and it could be others have folowed dem ... now all their critters are hitting me :(

Mosquito dunk water, Shane, has worked for me--indoors and out--washed down onion transplants with 1 5 gallon bucket mosquito dunk water for gnat larvae. Not seen anymore gnats or evidence of gnat larvae damage.The actual gnats don't do the damage but see a fungus gnat, it's been a mama or daddy or about to be. Since I off-gas the chlorine in tap water in 5 gal buckets, just crush a dunk in a paint strainer to contain it--Bti is Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis--completely organic, won't kill fish, pets, kids, anything except mosquito larvae, fly larvae, fungus gnat larvae. And for some dang reason the adults are attracted to the water. I just scoop em out, dead, use the water indoors too. Helps and won't hurt anything . . . unless ya a nasty plant eating larva ;)
Mosquito dunk has worked for me too, just lasts a few days and they’re back. I’m really just testing coffee cause I have access to so much and I was curious, I may have pushed these tests beyond where I wanted to go, hehe. Familiar with BTI, nice stuff and I have a bag full, btw it’s very cheap here …. once I kill the tests then I’ll pull out the real guns :D

Tried the dunks last year and it helped, but didn't cure the problem. Them plus sticky traps had them down to a managable hoard.
Try to mix your own BTI, it does work. I think some dunks don't have BTI in dem and the ones that do might have low quantities, thus a bag of the magic dust for a few bucks is worth dat spend. Listen to Annie not me, lols.

Nice Glog Walkgood, too many glogs and too little time, OK I'm a a bit of a lurker.....

Hope your baby makes it!

Scott
Scott, thanks for stopping in and commenting, I hear you … I’ve posted on some others glogs and have fell behind myself. I try to get around as you imply but we all have limited time and I understand, you always welcome to comment here both good or bad, have a great weekend!

Hmmm.... what is this a killin' my chillins? Ooooh... I"m dead
¿? ¿? ¿?

No sea weed here either ... hasn't been for quite a few years as I understand it . :confused: Closest I get is in a jug .
And when it comes there will be mountains and you’ll be off on vacation somewhere else … isn’t that how it always goes :/ The first time I went down to harvest there were very slim pickings and I had to go back two times to even find enough. Our bulk of seaweed comes in the summer time, try to see if there is a better time of year or not. You can always call the lifeguard boss, he might know but then they might tell you it’s illegal to harvest weed :/

Thanks all for reading and I enjoy reading all yours as well, great tips you guys provide :) some I use now and others I will try down the road ... have a great weekend!!! Yea I know it's Thursday but mine started today :)

..... Our bulk of seaweed comes in the summer time, try to see if there is a better time of year or not. You can always call the lifeguard boss, he might know but then they might tell you it’s illegal to harvest weed :/

After thinking more on how good seaweed is (even in a salad :P ), I realized I'll be at Cape Hatteras, NC in late July. But then I realized it might be illegal to pick it off the beach. So this is as close as I could get with Harvesting seaweed NC . I think it's probably legal unless it's a nature preserve. I'm going to go for, I may try to dry it before hauling it back home.

If arrested I'll tell them it's for personal use.... It's for medical purposes....I promise not to inhale.

After thinking more on how good seaweed is (even in a salad :P), I realized I'll be at Cape Hatteras, NC in late July. But then I realized it might be illegal to pick it off the beach. So this is as close as I could get with Harvesting seaweed NC . I think it's probably legal unless it's a nature preserve. I'm going to go for, I may try to dry it before hauling it back home.

If arrested I'll tell them it's for personal use.... It's for medical purposes....I promise not to inhale.
lols' on the “medical purposes.” I’d make sure to make some calls and find out when the best time there is a lot on the beaches before you take a long drive … gas is too expensive these days to waste IMHO.

Ramon do you know if it's legal in all of Florida to harvest it or is that determined beach to beach. Might be worth a little outting to Canaveral or Cocoa Beach with the kids :)
From the contacts I have here it’s by City or County and where I live it’s by City … while I use to live in Satellite Beach FL the laws have changed by now and Cocoa Beach is a bit further north from where I lived, different laws AFAIK. I would say yes it’s worth doing it when you go to the beach but it’s not always available, there are times when you’ll show up and there isn’t any. IIRC their best season for lots is summer but after any period of swells (like we've had lately) after cold fronts there is a good probability that some will wash close to shore.

Not looking good, I don’t see any new growth :( I’d say the odds aren’t good anymore but it’s a wait and see game. No one to blame but me, don't know what I was thinking that day but I've certainly learned from this experience. On the plus side I can see my shadow ;)
2nvwfn5.jpg

Very few JA Hab pods to pick today, the front one is showing her roots by this shape if you know what I mean.
3520z13.jpg

1z3bfxt.jpg

ip6sfl.jpg

First ripe Serrano pepper, plants full of dem but these are the smallest Serrano’s I’ve ever seen o_O
hvcxmo.jpg

Jalapeño’s almost, should be picking some by Saturday \o/
sdpyk2.jpg
25fkto0.jpg

MoA update, this is the largest one but the other two doing fine and a little behind this one in growth/size
2m64pl2.jpg

As I said, small harvest but should be enough for two days ^_^ (6 JA Habs, 1 deformed & 1 normal Cayenne pepper and small Serrano)
2potjx2.jpg

Size comparison of da worlds smallest Serrano \o/ hehe
dmcjcz.jpg

Thanks for looking & great weekend to all :)

Give the plant some time, and less light. It may be shocked the inner growth can take a week or so. I'd keep it in the shade. It the end branching starts to brown cut it off. The growth will start low and work its way up.

Nice Hab shots, I'd be happy right now with one of those on my plate.

The Scotch ...MoA is starting to take off. You'll probably start to see new leaf clusters every few days......wait till it branches out. Like Steve's.........one bud after another.

Thanks for your help earlier, I'll give that idea a whirl this weekend...

Have a good one !

Back