smokers Weber Smokers

Sorry dude, I like the grilling experience of being outdoors so gas grill trumps sous vide for me. :)

Yeah yeah, I do have an outlet out there but I ain't sous viding outside lol.

why not? ... lol.

you can kiddie pool sous vide!

The Hot Pepper said:
My next purchase may be a gas grill. Eat a lot of fish and various burgers, and no wood or charcoal costs. Can still rig up a smoker box for a little smoke flavor on grilled fish.

I've scaled down my cooks and like the fast and now.
I bought a small table top grill at costco for $99 . I use it just like you mentioned. I also have a small weber smokey joe, kamado and electric Big Chief smoker. If I were to get another smoker I would go for a barrel smoker used vertically to hang my racks of ribs from.
It is similar to this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40719811?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227030918572&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=53411886032&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=111827821472&veh=sem

Cool!

I guess I need to see this hanging rib stuff in action before I get onboard. I totally get the concept, but like I said I go rub heavy, and for those that like to wrap in butter or apple juice, that really wouldn't work. It would run out or collect at the bottom. I'm usually not a wrapper though. I like nekked ribs cooked throughout. I also like a chew to my rib, where wrapping can steam them into a fall off the bone if not careful. So I guess I could dig the hanging now that I think about it. Mostly it's because I start my ribs, as I said before, with a rub that absorbs the moisture, then I dust them again with a dry later that does not take moisture. This would fall off. But I like the way it performs. The wet layer starts to caramelize and the dry top layer forms more of a dry crust.

You could do it, too. It's easy to use the hook tool and pull the items out for a sec, and then you lay them across the rebar ... and you know how foil is, you could wrap still, just probably not so much on the butter ...

Yeah. Since I like my rib surface more dry than wet I am sure I would dig now that I think bout it. I don't like saucy or glazed really, I like the rub to do its thing and create that nice layer, just enough sugar to melt and create the bond. No glaze needed. No sauce, except after the cook, and I hot sauce the top. Take a bite and you get bite marks but the meat pulls away no problem.

I'm sure hanging would be fine. Maybe even better lol. BBQ is cray cray.

Refill!!

I buy ribs from this guy Perry who sells roadside out of a parking lot nearby on the weekend - so good. He cooks overnight in a trailered offset ... I'll take pics next time. I never have.

Yup. That's 30 gal not a full 55 size drum.

I ain't knockin' it just pointing it out as some people don't realize it's like a mini UDS with one grate level and the ribs have to hang from hooks. So just FYI is all.

No offence taken . My problem is that on my kamado grill which is pretty big it only fits 2 racks of ribs. If I have a good size group over then that barrel smoker can feed a large crowd with all the ribs you can hang from it. For everything else I do the kamado it great.

Capacity planning is the key differential between everyone's needs ...

Family size, or usual number of mouths otherwise, is the key ...

It's just Danielle and I, and she doesn't even really eat all that much meat, but I like to have meat, and also freeze meat, for easy leftovers that are awesome enough to keep me out of trouble (going out, taking out) ...

I bought the Akorn because the fuel cost of doing a brisket at true low and slow temperatures added too much cost to the cook beyond the already jacked up cost of brisket these days ...

Pork is a much better deal, dollar for dollar, all day, everywhere ...

Today's brisket cook will cost like a mere couple of dollars ($3-5), whereas the same size brisket easily consumed $20 in briquets in the Weber, which just isn't as well insulated or sealed ...

I think folks are cooking 6x racks in the PBC, which would always be more than enough for me and mine, but wasn't enough for Booma recently, I think he did 10x and also cooked a bunch of other stuff (I can't recall if the whole hog was part of that cook, or a separate one) ...

I could envision doing 2 racks on the main grate of the Akorn, and a nice pork butt up top ... eating the racks hot, and pulling the butt for future grubbage ... on like $2 fuel ... now we're talking ...

So yeah, it just depends ...

If you've got 4-6 mouths, or want to vac pack a bunch, you probably want an efficient fire and a big capacity - like an offset, or a big UDS or two ...

I would just be wasting a shit ton of fuel to keep a chamber of that size hot, and there's no point eating leftovers instead of fresh, either, since I work from home ...

The real beauty of the Akorn is that you can just leave the lump in the bottom and top it off for each cook, always just adding more, and dumping the reportedly small amount of ash from the pan (which is easy) ...

I've seen people using little stainless 1/4 sheet pans and foil to great effect, making the clean-up a breeze ...

I don't know, we'll see how things look after the cook, but this thing could be my new best friend ... just lit it w/ the Iwatani torch, let it run opened up for 4-5 mins to get going well-enough, and then shut her down and let it stabilize while I got the food ...

For $300, this thing will save it's cost beyond the Weber in fuel savings in the first 6 months of moderately heavy use, and within a year certainly ...

I'm glad I put it into service, finally. It's running nice for me so far ...

I'm thinking about this little baby to add to my collection show you guy's how to cook some ribs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thinking around 500/600 full racks

photo.jpg

NOW WHO'S SUPPLING THE THE CHARCOAL!!!!!

images-12.jpeg

Back