smokers Weber Smokers

grantmichaels said:
I kind of try not to let shit through to my inner sanctum w/o some rigor.

Much easier for me to never-forget something I truly understand, that something I've been told.

Of course. Also helps you remember, if you know why.

when people say, "so and so says ..."

my brain hears, "some people think that ..."

and files it under folklore ;)

unless it's meathead g., kenji, or nathan m., or anyone who's put in the work, i guess, that is ...

it's not a necessary thing, colloquialisms and traditions are very effective, but it is how i work, anyways ...

grantmichaels said:
when people say, "so and so says ..."

my brain hears, "some people think that ..."

and files it under folklore ;)

unless it's meathead g., kenji, or nathan m., or anyone who's put in the work, i guess, that is ...

it's not a necessary thing, colloquialisms and traditions are very effective, but it is how i work, anyways ...
Honestly GM, I can't be put in as someone that put in the work. Other than learning temps, I didn't learn crap as far as smoking meat. All I learnt was setting a temp on a guaranteed temp propane rotisserie, and adding a few hunks of wood in the burner. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Honestly GM, I can't be put in as someone that put in the work. Other than learning temps, I didn't learn crap as far as smoking meat. All I learnt was setting a temp on a guaranteed temp propane rotisserie, and adding a few hunks of wood in the burner. 

I agree. I mean the work ... cleaning the grill, adjusting the vents as often as it's needed to have the best possible fire, a nice, long rest, being careful about cutting against the grain well, even when it deviates ...

I couldn't mean doing the research any less ...

I often do the research, but rarely do ALL the work ...

So, I agree w/ you.

SmokenFire said:

shenanigans. I worked stick burners for a decade and will set my wsm results against em w no fearz.

I'm sure you've considered that it might be at the right distance to achieve the desired effect ...

grantmichaels said:
I'm sure you've considered that it might be at the right distance to achieve the desired effect ...

No sir, but now that you mention it I suppose that could be the case.  I've not measured but I'd put a best guess of around 2.5 feet from the top of the coals to the grate the meet sits on in my WSM (with the water pan in between).  No idea if that's enough distance/time for heat traveling to cool enough but I'd have to think it does judging from results.  Having had both offsets and bullet smokers I can see the pros and cons of each.  More pros and fewer cons w the bullet smokers in my experience; you feed them less often and it's easier to maintain proper temps. 

The only thing I've never cooked on is a pellet smoker.  

The WSM is an exceptional design, and the exception. Other bullets have poor design and it's hard to maintain temps. Brinkmann, forget it.

I'd take a WSM over a UDS any day. UDS' look cool, but the WSM is made for smoking. The UDS is made from an oil drum and has its own issues. Go for what is proven to work out of the box without mods or tinkering. You don't see the UDS on the circuit. You see offsets, customs, and WSMs (a little).

Haven't seen many UDS' posted here lately but a few years ago everyone had them. TB gave his away, and not many people use them.

SmokenFire said:
The only thing I've never cooked on is a pellet smoker.
Like electric, hard to get a smoke ring if that matters to you.

Finally found a packer that will fit on my 18 inch WSM. It was a 10 pound beauty  . Shitty pics but it I must say it was my best yet . Lots of fat  tender up that beef .A wise man once told me don't you trim the fat of that beauty . That's where all the love is made   :shh:  Smoked for 10 hours at 250 to 275. 
Bitch stalled out at 170 internally for like 2 hours . So I was forced to give it the old crunch . Hour after wrapping in foil it hit 200 internally . Toothpick went in every orifice like butter . Plenty of bark and burnt ends for all that attended . 

photo_zps5c8522ba.jpg

photo_zpsa2f7829a.jpg

Back