• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

salads What is your Tuna Salad recipe?

The Hot Pepper said:
It's not fancy really.I could have said fresh tuna steaks...I usually have those ingredients on hand. Not a fan of iceberg lettuce and white bread. Give it a try. The kicker is sweet relish, that gives it a nice contrast. Plus the pump bread is the perfect match.
SLAMMING THP!! I'm a tarragon nut love it on all things fish and fowl. Never thought tuna salad.
Love everything on pumpernickel!! (Peanut butter) . Bacon and havarti. Nice slice of purple Cherokee tomato slice Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm should post that THP :) that's a topper.
I buy my tuna in jars. Some really nice tasting tuna :)

oldsalty said:
SLAMMING THP!! I'm a tarragon nut love it on all things fish and fowl. Never thought tuna salad.
Love everything on pumpernickel!! (Peanut butter) . Bacon and havarti. Nice slice of purple Cherokee tomato slice Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm should post that THP :) that's a topper.
Try it salty! You and I seem to like the same stuff a lot. I swear you won't go back to Miracle Whip, it's like making your own. It's adds the tang you said you like plus... tarragon!!!! :) And yeah the whole sandwich is bangin. I haven't made it in a couple years but that's how I do it. Pump, bacon, havarti... how can anyone not like that?!!! Fancy????

Thanks sir!

oldsalty said:
I buy my tuna in jars. Some really nice tasting tuna :)
Wow, cool. Never seen that before just googled it.

I'm all over that this weekend perfect change from Turkey overload!! Going to give my baker friend a call see if I can get him to make thepump. He loves to eat should be no problem. Lol
Will post some pics. Cool THP glad you found them give them a. Try lots of Italian families I'm friends with swear by them ! :) will post the brand I use in recipe. Yyyeeeeeehhhhhhaaaaaaaa!!

oldsalty said:
I'm all over that this weekend perfect change from Turkey overload!! Going to give my baker friend a call see if I can get him to make thepump. He loves to eat should be no problem. Lol
Will post some pics. Cool THP glad you found them give them a. Try lots of Italian families I'm friends with swear by them ! :) will post the brand I use in recipe. Yyyeeeeeehhhhhhaaaaaaaa!!

Exactly. Italians and French hold some canned (jarred etc.) goods in high regard. The real salad nicoise is canned tuna. Italians eat the hell out of canned sardines and use canned tomatoes and dry pasta more that one thinks... here in the US, we think using fresh tomatoes and fresh pasta makes it better.

Looking forward to that entry. I won't be making one for awhile so borrow an idea if you want lol.

The Hot Pepper said:
Exactly. Italians and French hold some canned (jarred etc.) goods in high regard. The real salad nicoise is canned tuna. Italians eat the hell out of canned sardines and use canned tomatoes and dry pasta more that one thinks... here in the US, we think using fresh tomatoes and fresh pasta makes it better.

Looking forward to that entry. I won't be making one for awhile so borrow an idea if you want lol.
I'll take fresh pasta over fresh tomatoes every time when making pasta dishes :)

Canned San Marzanos make the best sauce. 

Yes, I do like my fresh pasta as well.

sometimes canned is better, especially when you're pressed on timing. Honestly a can of good crushed tomatoes can be spruced up by fresh basil and garlic so easily for chicken parm or something. However, sometimes you have to go canned like for instance: If you want to clarify your broth if you make your own, and there aren't any fresh local tomatoes with good acidity, you can use canned tomatos for that purpose and not have your egg white raft break when taking it out. Otherwise, you're screwed. 

Edit: I'm probably one of the few crazy people who prefers to make their own broth lol and then even goes further by clarifying it. on that note, pressure cooker broths are amazing since the aromatics can't escape! If you have a pressure cooker, put it on high for 40 mins with water carrots celery onions and bay leaf. Or you can even do roasted chicken bones and have it turn out great (i prefer chicken backs)

Plus San Marzanos are good tomatoes because they are grown in volcanic soil. You can grow them here but they won't taste the same. A can of good ones, the best for sauce!

Agreed on fresh is not always best. :)

But canned pineapple is the only fruit I will eat from a can. It's the only one that still tastes the same!

The Hot Pepper said:
Wow! So only two people added jalapenos on THE HOT PEPPER???!!! LOL. This is like a Southern Living thread. Booooo.
Sorry but I like my powders better. Besides, I don't know about fresh jalapenos but those sliced ones from a jar burn me up on the way out worse than habaneros or any other hot or super hot peppers I've ever eaten. :onfire:

That's great, I missed it in your post!!!!!

HEAT!!!! Any kind.

I see what happened. I stopped reading at egg. :lol:

I'm all about the canned tomatoes and San Marzano....
++ to BigB about adding fresh basil and garlic, spruce it up....  

But what the heck is up with boiled eggs in a tuna fish sandwich????   NEVER heard of it!  If I want an egg salad sandwich it's eggs, mayo, s&p.....

Tuna Sandwich-
canned tuna- (drained with juice being used to treat the cat and dog)
minced onion
minced DILL pickle
Salt
Pepper
mayonnaise

options for a SANDWICH-
lettuce
tomato
no cheese unless grilled sandwich... and then no lettuce cuz it gets limp and then that's yucky...

A minced pickled pepper would work well in addition to or instead of the minced DILL pickle.....

Good stuff!

Try the sweet vs. dill (good brand not corn syrup crap). Just humor me.

k bye.

Okay- I can "see" where eggs would be a way to stretch out the tuna if there was one can of tuna and 2 eggs in the fridge....

Totally get that.  But for a true tuna sammich??? Can't get the eggs on board...~~~ :stop:  

My Mom always served sweet and dill pickles at holiday meals.  Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why... because everyone in my family hates Dill things and Hates Pickles (in general).  Mom liked dill pickles and spicy foods. 

Trying to get the whole SWEET PICKLE version in my mind ~  but thinking I'd still like the DILL PICKLE version. 

SIDE NOTE-  SalsaKid has loved tuna sammies for fer-ever and it's something he will make on his own.  Even to dicing the onions and dill pickles.  :)  O'Course, if you ask him if he likes pickles or onions, he'll say "NO".  :rolleyes: 

PepTalk said:
I like mine with roasted red peppers from a jar, Mayo and a dash of my own dried Pepper topped on toasted rye.   Pickle on the side thank you!
Sounds good but to me it always need a crunch. No celery or onion?

salsalady said:
Okay- I can "see" where eggs would be a way to stretch out the tuna if there was one can of tuna and 2 eggs in the fridge....

Totally get that.  But for a true tuna sammich??? Can't get the eggs on board...~~~ :stop:  

My Mom always served sweet and dill pickles at holiday meals.  Looking back on it now, I'm not sure why... because everyone in my family hates Dill things and Hates Pickles (in general).  Mom liked dill pickles and spicy foods. 

Trying to get the whole SWEET PICKLE version in my mind ~  but thinking I'd still like the DILL PICKLE version. 

SIDE NOTE-  SalsaKid has loved tuna sammies for fer-ever and it's something he will make on his own.  Even to dicing the onions and dill pickles.  :)  O'Course, if you ask him if he likes pickles or onions, he'll say "NO".  :rolleyes:
NO EGGS!!!!! Like you said, they have their place. No need to add a sulphur bomb to a tuna sammie.

And I may have discovered the sweet by mistake or out of necessity, but when I did it, I was sold.

Back