• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

salads What is your Tuna Salad recipe?

The Hot Pepper said:
Sounds good but to me it always need a crunch. No celery or onion?

not a fan of onion in my tuna, grew up on celery mixed in.     I will pluck a few green Peps from my plants and dice em up for the tuna in summer but there is great flavor in those roasted Peppers and I will almost eat the whole jar in one sitting!

Roasted red peps are great. Good call.

Oh that that reminds me I can eat lychee fruit from a can. But never had it ripe so can't compare.

Thanks, I will. Love guava.

Pineapple in its own juice is very good. Firm, not soft. Tastes like pineapple not some other fruit, lol. Peaches, BLECHHHHKKK!!!!!!! WTF??!!!!!

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh that that reminds me I can eat lychee fruit from a can. But never had it ripe so can't compare.

Although lychee in cans are decent, fresh tastes so much better. The only time I really used canned lychess are for making lychee sorbet, mainly because of the flavor packed syrup

The cans from Thailand are great. Admittedly there is sugar, but it is not HFCS.

9apo1w.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
NO EGGS!!!!! Like you said, they have their place. No need to add a sulphur bomb to a tuna sammie.

I grew up w/ no eggs in my tuna sandwich and when my other half first made it with egg I was a little throw back but since I always loved eggs I tried it and loved it. Even more so with pickled eggs. And yes I am the sulphur bomb king in my neighborhood :onfire:
BigB said:

Look for guava shells then you'll change your mind
Got my attention but ummmm whats guava shells?

If you do spicy pickled eggs in a Louisiana hot sauce type brine it sounds like a neat addition worth trying. :)

Man haven't had an egg like that in a long time. Dang good snack.

Hawaiianero said:
If you picture a tomato cut in half that's kind of what a guava looks like, now picture taking a spoon and removing the inside seeds and sections, you are left with the guava "shell."

Who knew all these great ideas would come out in the tuna sandwich topic? Nice! Plenty to try here.

The Hot Pepper said:
If you picture a tomato cut in half that's kind of what a guava looks like, now picture taking a spoon and removing the inside seeds and sections, you are left with the guava "shell."

Hawaiianero said:

Yea, kinda what THP said. There's a lot of the aromatics in the "shell" skin layer rather than the flesh layer. When you at a guava fresh you don't peel it, you eat the whole thing. I love to make frosting/filling out of the canned shells and prefer to use those over the fresh guavas from my tree. 
sm_guava-shells-32-oz_jpg.jpg

Oh, and not to deviate from "tuna salad" but while we're on the topic of mixing flesh with mayo....After I make broth from a 2 whole chickens, I take off all the flesh and make some pretty dank chicken salad with bacon fat reserved from cooked benton's bacon. Speaking of which, if you want to ruin your bacon experience forever (by trying the best) and try real bacon, order some from benton's. It's perfectly cured and smoked with i believe hickory and sometimes apple wood. Definitely worth the order. Every time I let my friends try it they hate me because they can no longer enjoy bacon unless it's benton's. I also got a text from my friend today saying he's going mad because he's craving bacon at work and we haven't placed a new order yet for both of us. http://shop.bentonscountryham.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=hscb

WOW that bacon looks amazing!

REAL salt cured-smoked bacon... no nitrates, nitrites, or liquid smoke. Just pork, a sweet rub, and smoke.

Thanks!

that and the pigs were happy before they died. You can smell the smoke even before you open  package, it's great. welcome to addictionville and future heart issues lol

1 slice a day can't hurt right? ;) BTW you must cook it NOT crispy, just a quick cook on each side and keep it chewy. If you cook it crispy it becomes really salty. They have instructions which you best follow lol

edit: i saw this in my david cheng's momofuku cookbook and then on mind of a chef on netflix: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBUx9KdhRI

Never been into the brittle bacon, that's for making bacon bits. All good bacon should cook like you say.

The Hot Pepper said:
Never been into the brittle bacon, that's for making bacon bits. All good bacon should cook like you say.

When I read brittle bacon i instantly thought making bacon brittle (toffee/etc). I think we might be onto something. If only I hadn't run out of bacon, it's time to call my dealer and re-up lol

Back