• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Which Throwdowns Would You Like To See In 2013?

TDs for 2013!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I've been noticing about TDs is when it is so broad, it's really hard to zero in on cooking and voting.
For instance, If we expanded Italian, to include Greek and Moroccan, (as an example),
How do you judge between authentic Spaghetti and a Gyro? Two totally different foods.
If the TD is "Pasta", It makes the food entries more similar, and easier to vote on.

On the contrary, "Steak" is very limiting. If there were 15 steak entries, as long as none of them were to extremely under/over cooked, How would you choose one? Based on the sides?

My favorite is the "Chopped" style, everyone must use the same 4 ingredients,
and after that it's your imagination, on a level playing field.

Just my 2¢...

Fish n Grits and all that pimp shit!

pimp.GIF

Kevin

I understood what you meant. All suggestions will also be considered of course, and the ones above can be modified. The poll will be very telling though. You can vote for what you want or what you would want modified, if it is close. Post your modification request. :)

Thanks for the heads-up boss... I'm new to the TD area and still feeling my way. When I voted I didn't know I could request a modification first.

You still can :P

Just saying, if you like the $5 idea, but because of inflation wanna make it $6, just vote for it, and request it. That's all.

But the voting should be pretty straightforward. We have had some pretty epic TDs and have almost done it all. So maybe we'll mix it with 10 top ones, 2 new ones, whatever, it all depends on the results and comments. It might just be the top 12.We'll see soon. Keep it going. :)

I also had the idea of alternating months, so scheduling the top 6, and leaving 6 open. :)

Just vote and we'll figure it all out.

I would say that would be unlikely, since not one game sandwich has been posted in the SOTM.

There are lots of wild game possibilities above though. Pretty much any of them.

I would say that would be unlikely, since not one game sandwich has been posted in the SOTM.

There are lots of wild game possibilities above though. Pretty much any of them.
I have 100 pounds plus in freezer after Xmas it is on! Wild Turkey, Deer, Squirrel and Rabbit. Guess I'll find somewhere to squeeze it in.

If feral cats count as game, I could do a wild game entry. Not much would be left after hitting it with a hollow point 22 though. Anyway, I'm definitely not into wild game and it would be difficult for those in the city. Others have posted game in regular TDs.

I also really like the Chopped TDs, and I hope the Battle Royale continues.

And we'll probably have to do a SPAM one, just to get it over with. Geeme could sculpt the SPAM! There you go, girl! You get your sculpture and the rest get SPAM. :lol:

The more I think about soup, I'm liking that also. Ozzies and SoFlo could do cold summer soups.

I'd be down with that... especially if the participants had to catch their own fish...
While I'd love to see that, how would you prove you actually caught the fish VS buying a whole one, where I live I could still get one kicking :D That said, I fish a few times a week in my back yard so I could actually compete without leaving the dock, heh

While I'd love to see that, how would you prove you actually caught the fish VS buying a whole one, where I live I could still get one kicking :D That said, I fish a few times a week in my back yard so I could actually compete without leaving the dock, heh
I hadn't thought about that wrinkle... Where I live in Massachusetts I've never seen whole fish for sale... always at least gutted. I don't know if vending regulations here permit it. Unlike the Great Lakes area, I know it won't permit the sale of wild-caught freshwater fish.

I think requiring the participants to catch their own fish would highlight creativity because when you go fishing, you never know exactly what you'll end up catching... or if...

I'd be down with that if we can include prepackaged breaded fish sticks in the recipe instead of that smelly fresh stuff :D :D :D
That's a hoot! Freshly caught fish doesn't smell nearly as strongly (or fishy) as the garbage that's been frozen and breaded. In fact, if it's sold as "fresh" and smells strongly at all, I'd say it's not actually fresh - steer away from the case!

Oh - I like a challenge, which is part of why I like the Chopped version. So I also like the 6 stated, 6 open idea.

The more I think of it, the more I like it... Could you add a "Catch of the Day" category boss? It could be fresh or saltwater, and anything you like, shellfish, fish, crustaceans, etc... but you have to catch it yourself no more than X number of days before the TD, and it's gotta be packin' heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back