spirits Who's Aging Beers Here?

So, I’ve started down another hobby. Aging beer. I thought I might post the lists of beers I have aging in the basement and see if anyone else here is doing the same thing. Here’s the ones I have going:

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Über Pils)
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic
Great Lakes Brewery Blackout Stout (two bottles)
Palo Santo Marron by Dogfish Head Brewery

I just started the ordeal recently and will be continuing to add to the collection.

DevilDuck said:
Mine age for a week at most. They're lucky to last a couple of days.
I'm actually surprised that I haven't broken into those beers and drank them. But I'm getting money in to buy beer daily so so far so good......not tempted.

Age? Beer? only long enough to cool it down...

Does beer age well? Cant be like red wine, no tanin. lat time I cracked a 2yr old beer I didn't like it.

I've got some put back, but if I open the closet to check, I might start drinking them.

I am bummed that for a second year in a row, I haven't been able to get hold of any Brooklyn Brewery Black chocolate Stout to age. It really mellows after a year or so.

ring sting said:
Does beer age well? Cant be like red wine, no tanin. lat time I cracked a 2yr old beer I didn't like it.
Certain beers age quite well (especially the ones that ferment in bottle...bottle conditioned as they are called).

xgrafcorex said:
what conditions are you storing the beers in igg? i had some that i was aging but didn't have good temps..didn't turn out that great. :(
They are in a dark cabinate in the basement at around 65 degrees.

Pam said:
I am bummed that for a second year in a row, I haven't been able to get hold of any Brooklyn Brewery Black chocolate Stout to age. It really mellows after a year or so.
I had a bottle of this years and it was quite tasty. The place I frequent (La Cave Du Vin) has one or two of their bottles from 1999 that I am tempted to crack open.

I am aging lots of homebrews.

The bottle conditioning means that live yeast was in the beer at bottling. They do go dormant after a couple of months and do eventually die, but beers, especially high abv(alc by volume) or high "gravity" brews will change and improve over time.

Even force carbed beers will mellow and age, but most commercial brews do not improve over time. I don't recommend puting any BUD ICE in the basement to age.

Have 2 bottles of 08.08.08 Epic Vertical Ale (in honor of my fiance & I's engagement)...they are in my wine rack around 70 degree's.....keeping them out of the light but I dont have a cellar to store them in...

I've always wanted to age, but I don't have an ideal environment. My basement is a little humid and not temperature controlled, so they'd skunk.

I've always wanted to age Averys Beast and Averys Mephistopheles. I've had Aventinus 3 years aged and it was slamming. I'd love to see what the Averys do with a few years on them.

TheJollyRancher said:
Have 2 bottles of 08.08.08 Epic Vertical Ale (in honor of my fiance & I's engagement)...they are in my wine rack around 70 degree's.....keeping them out of the light but I dont have a cellar to store them in...

70 degrees is too high to age. :shocked:

I have a wine rack....should probably say its in the lower 60's....not 70's...even the bottle says store at 55 Degrees or below....dont currently have the luxury of keeping it in the fridge.....

im just keeping it out of direct light and heat....should be fine

I'm Aging a heap of home brew and i'm looking to get a few good quality beers to put away for a few years.

My brother (Tony05) has just got a few different types of (slow aging) beer to age. One of them has a use by date of 2037..

I have several stouts that have been aging overnight inside my belly. Don't think the conditions are ideal..but it's what I've got to work with. :P

xgrafcorex said:
I have several stouts that have been aging overnight inside my belly.
Overnight? How do you get that to work? It usually exits my body an hour after I drink it. One of the joys of a super fast matabolism.

Back