spirits Who's Aging Beers Here?

I aged a couple of sixpacks (one from each year of 2005 and 2006) of Troegs Mad Elf which they call a Christmas Ale. It didn't turn out so good, so I drank them all this Spring. Don't know if that isn't a good beer to age or if the temp control wasn't good enough.

the first beer i brewed was an imperial stout; i drank a bunch of it 2 weeks after bottling, but i saved three six packs: 1 6er was for 6 months, it was amazing how good it tasted, loads better, the second was for 1 year, again even better than before, the last 6 pack was broken up, i had 1 of them 1yr 6 months, still better, 1yr 8months, still got better, 1yr 10months was still better 2yr amazing, 2yr 2months a little past its prime, so i drank the other one as well; so now i know when i re-brew that imerial stout that at about 2yrs worth of aging its prime. my most recent wee heavy didt fare as well.. i had aged it maybe a year and it was pretty much all drank except for 1 bottle i was saving for myself; me and my buddies went out to Montpelier VT to butcher a deer one of them had gotten in bow season, I brought it out there in a cooler, moved it to a fridge when we got there, didnt end up drinking it so i loaded it back into the cooler and brought it back home and put it in the fridge; aparently the jeep we took out there and back had a bent frame and vibrated...a lot... so about 45 mins after i got home i heard what sounded like a shot gun going off in the fridge; the bottle exploded, there was glass everywhere and my beer was gone... the stuff that got on my hands tasted great, too bad i couldnt drink it

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner and noticed that not only was the beer kinda cloudy but it also had a lot of sediment in the bottom of it, so i put it in the closet to age and see what happens. From what my friend Jeff says this stuffs got enough hops to knock out a mule team so it ought to be an amusing experience when i crack it open.

Sickmont said:
I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner and noticed that not only was the beer kinda cloudy but it also had a lot of sediment in the bottom of it, so i put it in the closet to age and see what happens. From what my frined jeff says this stuffs got enough hops to knock out a mule team so it ought to be an amusing experience when i crack it open.
How long has it been aging?

Sickmont said:
I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner and noticed that not only was the beer kinda cloudy but it also had a lot of sediment in the bottom of it, so i put it in the closet to age and see what happens. From what my friend Jeff says this stuffs got enough hops to knock out a mule team so it ought to be an amusing experience when i crack it open.

I was a little disappointed in that beer. At first I was excited to see the Boston Brewery enter the "Big Beer" stakes but after trying that stuff I was rather underwhelmed. I didn't find it all that hoppy. It actually has an expiration date...or maybe it's a "best by" date...and my local supermarket put it onsale after said date so I bought several 4 packs. It's OK but pales next to beers like Flying Dog's Double Dog, Green Flash's IPA or even DFH 60 minute IPA.

chuk hell said:
I was a little disappointed in that beer. At first I was excited to see the Boston Brewery enter the "Big Beer" stakes but after trying that stuff I was rather underwhelmed. I didn't find it all that hoppy. It actually has an expiration date...or maybe it's a "best by" date...and my local supermarket put it onsale after said date so I bought several 4 packs. It's OK but pales next to beers like Flying Dog's Double Dog, Green Flash's IPA or even DFH 60 minute IPA.

Damn. Thats what i was afraid of. My friend Jeff is always overstating beers like that. I seriously don't think he can handle a whole lot of the decent IPAs out there. F**k it, i guess i'll bust her open tonight.

imaguitargod said:
Just burried a Stone 2008 Barleywine in the celler...been meaning to get that one.

Gotta love the Barley-Swine as we call it here and have but some kinver old sam barley wine ready for those cool nights :)

Marley Wine

About 8 years ago we brewed a very strong ale and used the "whacky tobaccy". Hence the name, "Marley Wine".

You can probably imagine how that brew session went... I still have one bottle left.

Fergot to mention that I have a couple of cases of assorted Big Foots and other assorted strong beers packed in the garage. I know there is some mead we brewed a few years back in there, too.

I've got a Dogfish 120 IPA aging as we speak right now. And as for barleywine, i still would like to get my hands on a McGuire's "I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having" barleywine.

Caustic Casey said:
About 8 years ago we brewed a very strong ale and used the "whacky tobaccy". Hence the name, "Marley Wine".

You can probably imagine how that brew session went... I still have one bottle left.
THC degrades pritty fast, I wouldn't imagine that brew to be very potent at this point....but that's not to say that I haven't been thinking about brewing one of those!

Caustic Casey said:
Fergot to mention that I have a couple of cases of assorted Big Foots and other assorted strong beers packed in the garage. I know there is some mead we brewed a few years back in there, too.
I just picked up a bottle of this year's Bigfoot. I really absolutely hated it when I tried it. So I picked this one up thinking I'll probably never drink it until 5 years down the line.

imaguitargod said:
I just picked up a bottle of this year's Bigfoot. I really absolutely hated it when I tried it. So I picked this one up thinking I'll probably never drink it until 5 years down the line.

That's one of the best beers to age. It really is pretty gnarly at first but mellows out real well. I always buy a couple sixers and have some going back to 2004, maybe 2003....

I wish Ross still posted here. He knew a lot about aging beers.

Sickmont said:
I've got a Dogfish 120 IPA aging as we speak right now. And as for barleywine, i still would like to get my hands on a McGuire's "I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having" barleywine.

I had one of those 120 minute IPAs aging as well but I seem to have drank it. :hell:

Back