• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2013

Finally got me some lights and a heat mat...

lightstand1.jpg

lightstand2.jpg

The trays are the self-watering Burpee 32-cell type..Hopefully they will maintain more consistent moisture levels.

This is what I sowed:

C. chinense
MoA Scotch Bonnet (STEVE954), 6
Madame Jeanette (Meatfreak), 6
Bahamian Goat (FadeToBlack), 6
NagaBrain (romy6), 8
Trinidad Scorpion, 4
7 Pot Yellow, 8
Cumari do Para (capsidadburn), 8
Bonda ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (Spicegeist), 4
Chupetinha, 4

C. annuum
Doux Tres Long des Landes (Meatfreak), 6
Poblano, 8
Zapotec Jalapeño, 12
Chiltepin, 8
California Wonder, 4
Chilhuacle Rojo, 8
Thai Garden Birdseed, 4
Ashe County Pimento (kentishman), 4
Kitchen Pepper (Datil), 4

C. baccatum
Aji Amarillo, 8

There are a few spots still open. Probably will sow NuMex 6-4 and some Morouga, because people are asking for it....

Gary, Awesome looking plants and setup! I'm sure you'll have another monster season. I can see the mailman carrying loads of flat rate boxes coming from your zipcode! :P

Great looking ramps, the fish hook looks like fun. Beautiful "9 foot" transistions that probably had many hours of fun on them. It is definately sad to see it go when it goes.

Great pics of you and your buds laying down sweet memory's.

I did help my son build a quarter pipe in January but it's a little small for skating. My son is in science olympiad and recently took 2nd place in Houston for his gravity vehicle. He has another regional competition this weekend in San Antonio. I'll post some pics in my glog.

Skate Jam THP 2013
Later Mike

Thanks! I've got plenty more pix of the several other style mongers in our crew, but there's plenty of time for that....

It looks like it will be another season of big Caribbean yellows production, so yeah, flat rate boxes will be going out.

I'm working on the T-shirts for the Skate Jam THP 2013...Should be awesome, but maybe there should be some wheelchairs standing by...

Good luck this weekend. I'm visualizing his vehicle lofting mightily...

It's like watching a "yo-yo".......I keep scrolling to the plants back to the skates, don't know which I like better they're both too cool !

Plants look crazy!. Big ole fat leaves.........you could roll a cigar with those. Nice indoor start from an outdoor master.

Still have a Congo kicking? I've got both Congo varieties (mine/yours) going. The plants are small yet but the leaves are filling out,

Your plants grow lush and are always full of pods. I'm curious to see how the MoA's produce with the long growing season down in LA...

Thanks Greg! That means a lot coming from the creator of the basement lush forest of chiles! I've got 4 of your Congo plants outside sprouting leaves as I type this. There's one of my type left over from last year, so there will be plenty of Congos!

My expectations of the MOA Bonnets are high, too. I'm glad I'm not them, though, because that kind of pressure to perform can be stressful....

Great pics Gary if we had known each other back then we'd probably be on the same ramp ... great stuff, peppers, ramps & skating \o/

Thanks Ramon! I think we all skated together in some way....Maybe we just don't remember it...

I would have been there too!
Plants are in full gear!

Hey Jason! Thanks! Something tells me you would have been blasting method airs on the big vert....

You got stuff outside yet? Plant-out time is getting real close. The forecast is for 30s this Sunday, but I believe that's the last cold spell. So maybe the first or second week in April...

Awesome pics and plants, Gary. Love looking at those oldskool photo's, proof that you are an great builder as well!

Thanks Stefan! That means a lot to me, especially since I haven't built anything in a real long time...Maybe it's time again....

Back around '63-'65 or so, we built a skate board out of a piece of plywood about 18" X 24" and nailed half a skate on each corner. These were the old steel skates that used a key to clamp onto your shoes. (I know you are much too young to remember these.) We'd lay on the board and pull each other with bikes. My brother was using his bigole Schwinn paper-boy bike to pull the kid that lived across the street. At a speed that this contraption was never designed to travel, the whole thing began to shimmy. My brother didn't notice and, before he could slow down, the broken board, the kid and scattered pieces of skate wound up under the neighbors '51 Chevy! Didn't even budge the Chevy!

Just before laying on the board, someone suggested he wear an old football helmet. I think it saved his life! That kid's Mom wanted to kill my brother! You can't even imagine how that kid was balled up under that old car.

Our next attempt, at building a skateboard, around the same time, was a piece of fencing with, you guessed it, half-a-skate nailed on each end. This was a board you could stand up on. The neighbors whose kid we had almost killed had a very steep driveway. That board was completed maybe 2 hours when Sissy, the not-very-coordinated girl from down the block wanted to try our board. It took numerous pins, screws and rods to surgically repair her left arm. That was the most sickening sound I ever heard!

By the time the skateboard craze swept across the country, you couldn't have got me on one with a block-n-tackle! When I first read about your skating exploits, I began to remember these two incidents. I laughed so hard I woke my wife clean across the house!

Thanks again for the seeds and advice Gary.

Wow, thanks for that Ray! Poor Sissy...It was tough being a kid back in those days...

My grandmother bought my brother and me "Roller Derby" skateboards during that period. Must have been about '66 or '67. It was, as you described, literally a 1/2" thick oak plank shaped into a a rough approximation of a surfboard and painted red, with a pretty script "Roller Derby" logo on the deck, and steel-wheeled roller skate trucks bolted to the bottom...

Wow, I actually found an image of it:

roller_derby.jpg

What an utter piece of crap! We lived on a dead-end street with nice hill...a hill by the Louisiana measure of a hill, anyway! We, too, would drag one another up and down the street on our skateboards with our Schwinns. The interesting part was the sweet gum balls from the tree about halfway down the hill. Hitting one of those little buggers with steel wheels was like slamming on the parking brake...There were no knee pads, helmets, or wrist guards in those days. I believe when Shakespeare spoke of getting one's "pound of flesh" he was thinking about the hamburger meat we smeared on the blacktop of Baltimore Avenue!

We did the steel wheel thing with skates back den, we built both skateboards and scooters, what a time! But it was hard to do tricks on dem. My first store bought after that was a super surfer with clay wheels, wish I still had that board ... from what I read they're expensive collector items now. Was hard to pull much moves riding a pool till cadillac wheels came out but street tricks were fine ... Sorry to read about kids getting hurt :/

Hobie-SuperSurfer-Box-500x272.jpg

Hobie, yeah dude! Sweet! You and I are spiritual bruthas, Ramon!

My third board, 1977--the first one with real urethane wheels and sealed bearings--was a Hobie "Skatepark Rider": solid oak with full rocker, like a Hobie 16, Tracker Trucks (the real skinny ones..."MidTracks" maybe?) and OJs wheels...I rode that little skate forever, even after I had big wide pool boards. Skated it with real loose trucks, slalom-pumping around on flatlands streets, at least 30 years before the kids in my neighborhood got their 2-wheel Wave boards...

Man I miss that little skate. Lost it back during my "f__king up" days...Found this pik on the web. I'm pretty sure those are Kryptonics wheels, but otherwise the same stick:

hobie%2011.jpg

Unlike you fellas I did not pick up a board until 76. I came across my now best friend when I was 15, he was riding slalom between butter dish tubs on a sidewalk. One week later we were loading up my first quarter pipe to drag down to his house a block away. He rode in the 60's but was riding a skinny blue plastic "kicktail" with urethane. Maybe made by Makaha? Not sure. My first board was made by Montgomery Ward with Red urethane. In 79 I got my first Dogtown Wes Humpsten model Indy's and Sims.

Later Skaters

I really don't have the morbid sense of humor that you may think. It took Sissy begging for 10 minutes to talk us into it. We figured something was gonna happen.

The Holliday boy was practically unscathed (couple of scratches) except for the fact that he couldn't breath while he was balled-up under that old car!

Anyway, it struck me hilariously funny upon remembering it. I'm sure you guys must think I'm some kind of old sado masochist.

Ray

Not at all Ray, back then we'd laugh at each other when we bite the bullet ... till we found out how serious it was and den the tune would change. Funny enough with all the years of half pipes, pools, drainage ditches and other stuff we rode I never broke a bone but many a friend did get seriously hurt. This is one of the reasons I cooled off early on some of the crazy stuff I was doing by mid twenties as surfing was and is my true passion. I had started surfing at 12 and by 14 was ripping, so skateing became secondary for me and a way to pass the flat spells. Now it's funny enough at over 50 now and I can still skate & keep up with dem half my age ....

Edit I'm bowing out on this conversation as I don't want to turn Gary's glog into skateboarding total recall :D

Unlike you fellas I did not pick up a board until 76. I came across my now best friend when I was 15, he was riding slalom between butter dish tubs on a sidewalk. One week later we were loading up my first quarter pipe to drag down to his house a block away. He rode in the 60's but was riding a skinny blue plastic "kicktail" with urethane. Maybe made by Makaha? Not sure. My first board was made by Montgomery Ward with Red urethane. In 79 I got my first Dogtown Wes Humpsten model Indy's and Sims.

Later Skaters

Wow, Mike, the THP skaters have way too much in common to be mere coincidence...It's spooky...I also had a Makaha, my second board...It was a fiberglass piece of crap, no-name trucks, and shitty urethane wheels with open-race bearings. After that was the Hobie, then I bought a Dogtown Paul Constantineau "P.C. Tail Tap" model, with Indy 151s and Kryptonics C-70 red 78 duro Downhill wheels...What a sweet board. I took it with me to geology camp in the mountains around Silver City, New Mexico, summer of '81. (AC/DC's "Back in Black" was brand new and we were crankin' it.) I had never ridden hills that steep, but I learned how from a little thrasher kid around town that could bomb those mountain roads with absolutely no fear. Downhill is still my second favorite terrain, after ditches...

I really don't have the morbid sense of humor that you may think. It took Sissy begging for 10 minutes to talk us into it. We figured something was gonna happen.

The Holliday boy was practically unscathed (couple of scratches) except for the fact that he couldn't breath while he was balled-up under that old car!

Anyway, it struck me hilariously funny upon remembering it. I'm sure you guys must think I'm some kind of old sado masochist.

Ray

It's cool Ray, you are totally preaching to the choir. Back in the 80s I was in my mid-20s, but all the kids in my crew were teenagers, so I was the only one with a car, a honking huge 4-door Chevy Caprice oil company car, with a company gas credit car...We would go on weekend-long skate safaris, searching out da kine ditches, banks, hills, pools, and half pipes all over Northeast Louisiana. When we were skating downhill we would use the car to tow everyone back to the top of the hill. One day a kid wiped out and his leg slid up under one of the back wheels...We must have all had guardian angels, because he was only bruised a little. A sobering day, but from then on we always walked up the hill...

There are other such stories, but that's the one that always makes me shiver a little bit, and appreciate the Grace in my life...

Not at all Ray, back then we'd laugh at each other when we bite the bullet ... till we found out how serious it was and den the tune would change. Funny enough with all the years of half pipes, pools, drainage ditches and other stuff we rode I never broke a bone but many a friend did get seriously hurt. This is one of the reasons I cooled off early on some of the crazy stuff I was doing by mid twenties as surfing was and is my true passion. I had started surfing at 12 and by 14 was ripping, so skateing became secondary for me and a way to pass the flat spells. Now it's funny enough at over 50 now and I can still skate & keep up with dem half my age ....

Edit I'm bowing out on this conversation as I don't want to turn Gary's glog into skateboarding total recall :D

I broke my wrist in '78 skating a big quarterpipe in my home town of Mansfield, Louisiana. But that was before knee pads and wrist guards...and we were pretty toasted too...It was the 70s after all...

My sailing friend in Brazil, one of the best racing sailors I've ever known, took up surfing a few years ago...There are some sweet spots down there, and I'm always jealous of the photos of the gorgeous tubes she posts on the FB...A couple of days ago she told me that she wiped out and ruptured a disk in her back. Out of commission until further notice...Now I'm not so jealous, and glad to be a lightweight skater!

Dude you can talk about skating as long as you want! It's my thread and I say it's cool!

I know I'm very late with this start but, the cracked back is healing. It would be wonderful to make plants half as beautiful as yours are. Gary, you have a special understanding for growing peppers. I'm learning from you and others here.

How are you doing with this "Arctic Blast" that has blasted into our spring? Did you have to move any of those bad-boy plants?

I'm glad your back is getting better, Ray...That's good news.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I've learned quite a bit here, but there is always a lot more to learn from the THP growers. I'm glad you're here...It's great to have another Louisiana grower to share info with. You're definitely in the right place.

The forecast is for the upper 20s tonight, so, yes, my overwinters are back in the garage. There's been quite a bit of schlepping big containers in and out this season, but the plants are greening up nicely and most of them now have flower buds.

I'm looking forward to seeing your grow this year. There was another South Louisiana guy here for a couple of years, and his grows were always beautiful...and always several weeks ahead of mine!

It's damn cold here tonight. Arctic blast for sure! Clouds spitting a few snow flakes all day.
Hope your staying warm and the garage is comfy enough for the plants!

Back