• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

windchicken said:

Thanks Scott! I've had a couple turn red already, but as soon as they do the birds beat me to the punch…even the seeds are gone!

Thanks Charles! He seems to be enjoying the extra foot room already... :P

Thanks BOP! Will do!

Charles' (Spicegeist) Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F3) are setting some nice pods now. There are 7 plants total in my population: 6 in the ground in the DeSoto Parish garden and one in a container in the 'burbs…Plants #5 & #6 are suffering from my last year's overzealous application of Osmocote pellets, but they aren't quite finished yet…Plants #1 - #4, however, are standing strong in the brutally hostile conditions of the DeSoto Parish inferno. I especially love the pod phenotype of one of these plants, but I'll wait for y'all to weigh in, too, before I reveal my current pick—

Plant #1:

BondaXPlant%231_2.jpg

Plant #2:

bondaXplant%232_1.jpg

Plant #3:

bondaXplant%233_1.jpg

Plant #4:

bondaXplant%234_1.jpg

I forgot to pick one of these... I'll go with #4...

Wow Gary! Not only are your plants looking fantastic, you are growing some amazing crosses! I will have to give it to Tmudder and Charles, some really good choices for crosses! Yellow 7s and Bonda Ma Jacques already are delicious on their own, so even if it is as tasty as either of the parents you're a winner, And of course there is a chance that they will be even better, win win in my book!
Looking great!

Devv said:
We're up against the same thing, anything red is fair game.

But they go to the Matie's first. Don't know if it's true. They "say" birds don't experience the heat....
birds have no olfactory sense, and no discernable sense of taste, so they don't really notice the heat. If you hang CDs or other shiny objects on monofilament line from trees or wherever they scare the birds away. When I lived in New Mexico, I had a pair of damn woodpeckers trying to nest in my roof, and of course they were endangered, so I couldn't poison or shoot them! So the wildlife guy told me to hang several CDs from monofilament the spin in the wind and the sun reflects off of them and scares them

chile_freak said:
birds have no olfactory sense, and no discernable sense of taste, so they don't really notice the heat. If you hang CDs or other shiny objects on monofilament line from trees or wherever they scare the birds away. When I lived in New Mexico, I had a pair of damn woodpeckers trying to nest in my roof, and of course they were endangered, so I couldn't poison or shoot them! So the wildlife guy told me to hang several CDs from monofilament the spin in the wind and the sun reflects off of them and scares them

I leave the birds alone, they may damage a few tom's, but they eat the grasshoppers. So I'll share ;)  Just wish they would let a grape ripen. Ah CD's!

Plants looking great Gary!  Love the look on those NagaBrains.  And I've been able to score some free RCW too!  Got a local tree company, dumping their loads on a construction site just down the street from me (presumably illegally).  I've been surveying their loads and found a HUGE pile that is pure hardwood and seems to be mainly from branches.  In the middle of the pile, there is a BUNCH of white rot fungus already growing.  I built a new bed in my backyard with it.  By next spring, it should be perfect.

2014-06-28%2010.43.55.jpg

PIC 1 said:
I hope those Bonda's x Yellow 7's have heaps of oil and are hotter than hell...........then again, I'm growing them too !.........  :party: 

Thanks Greg! I think the Bonda-X are almost ready….I'm excited to see yours, too!  :dance:

chile_freak said:
Wow Gary! Not only are your plants looking fantastic, you are growing some amazing crosses! I will have to give it to Tmudder and Charles, some really good choices for crosses! Yellow 7s and Bonda Ma Jacques already are delicious on their own, so even if it is as tasty as either of the parents you're a winner, And of course there is a chance that they will be even better, win win in my book!
Looking great!

Thanks Paul! The Bonda-X plants are actually pulling ahead of the ChocoNagas, which started out real strong...

Yes, there are some wonderful crosses these days, and Charles seems to just keep coming up with better and better hybrids... :onfire:

Devv said:
We're up against the same thing, anything red is fair game.

But they go to the Matie's first. Don't know if it's true. They "say" birds don't experience the heat....

Scott, whatever it was that was eating my chiles seems to have moved on FINALLY…the shitheads…It must have been the robins…Anyway, looks like I'm going to get to eat some of those nice Cabe Gendot pods soon...

chile_freak said:

Thanks Paul!

Noah Yates said:
Awesome Glog windchicken!!!! Thanks for the referral devv.

nod-of-approval.gif

Thanks Noah! That GIF is too good!  :party:

Devv said:

I leave the birds alone, they may damage a few tom's, but they eat the grasshoppers. So I'll share ;)  Just wish they would let a grape ripen. Ah CD's!

The birds that beat up my beds and pods are my wife's happy little friends, so I can't hurt them…or scare them off, even...

compmodder26 said:
Plants looking great Gary!  Love the look on those NagaBrains.  And I've been able to score some free RCW too!  Got a local tree company, dumping their loads on a construction site just down the street from me (presumably illegally).  I've been surveying their loads and found a HUGE pile that is pure hardwood and seems to be mainly from branches.  In the middle of the pile, there is a BUNCH of white rot fungus already growing.  I built a new bed in my backyard with it.  By next spring, it should be perfect.

2014-06-28%2010.43.55.jpg

Awesome Brian! I think you are going to be very pleased with that bed... :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Trippa said:
Things are looking great Gary.  Love the looks of the Bonda x Y7 and the Cabe Gendot.  How is it gowing in the heat of summer??  Better then the other var. of pubescens?

Thanks Trippa! As I mentioned above, the birds that were hammering my Cabe Gendot pods seem to have moved on to screw with someone else's garden, so the pods they set are all ripening up nicely…And I have to say, I LOVE the chiles! Right now in my garden I have super hots, jalapeños, New Mexico chiles, baccatums, etc., etc., all loaded with fresh pods, but I find myself going back again and again to my Cabe Gendot plants—The the flavor, the ripping heat, the crunchy juiciness…Dude, it's sex in my mouth—if that's not too much information—I find them to be quite a bit hotter than Chile Manzano, the only other pubescens I've ever tasted….And yes, they are doing very well in the Louisiana climate. In fact, they are still setting blossoms and fresh fruit. These are some of the first pods to ripen, so they are smaller than the others that are still on the plants (sorry about my dirty fingernails…I was pulling weeds):

gendot01.jpg

Those pods look great Gary! Great description, like sex in my mouth lol! That sounds awesome though a hotter version of a manzano or rocoto, ummmmm, let me see, Yes please! Funny, I just stopped by your glog, cuz I was in the garden, and I realized I got my first set of pods on my Congo Trinidad, also I put some Congo seeds in the mail for RogueJim as well, the only sad part is only one of the three Congos made it to adulthood

Thanks Paul! I believe I'll overwinter all 4 of the Cabe Gendot plants…Those damn things are just too good… :P Three plants of Congo pepper are plenty! I have only one, and I can't even begin to use all the pods….

Snapped a photo this morning of Spicegeist's Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, F3 gen, Plant #2. Bob and I will test at lunchtime today:

Bonda-X_Plant%232_18.jpg

Hello! Those Cabe Gendot sure attract my attention! Let me know if I can buy/trade some seeds from you sometime....although in terms of trade, I really don't have anything interesting/different right now. Thanks!

Sorry, I wanted to PM this to you but your mailbox must be full! I can delete this later I think! Thanks again!

-Jesse

windchicken said:
Thanks Paul! I believe I'll overwinter all 4 of the Cabe Gendot plantsThose damn things are just too good :P Three plants of Congo pepper are plenty! I have only one, and I can't even begin to use all the pods.

Snapped a photo this morning of Spicegeist's Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, F3 gen, Plant #2. Bob and I will test at lunchtime today:

Bonda-X_Plant%232_18.jpg
Those pods are big sexy time! Tell us all about the delicious flavor so we can all salivate at our screens and live vicariously through your taste buds!

Back