• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

LOL, so are you like me, straw hat and long sleeved shirts? It's hot, but I've already had my share of the sun, maybe twice what I should have had.

Yeah, gotta go that route once the dermatologist starts freezing stuff off ya. Damn that's pricey! So I use the air cans they sell for puters, turn them upside down and hold for a 1,2,3 count. Saves $350 a visit..LOL

Devv said:
Yeah, gotta go that route once the dermatologist starts freezing stuff off ya. Damn that's pricey! So I use the air cans they sell for puters, turn them upside down and hold for a 1,2,3 count. Saves $350 a visit..LOL

Does that really work? I hate doctors….

Trippa said:
Awesome looking pods Gary .... any updates of late ...??

Hey Trippa! Sorry I've been neglecting my THP friends. I've got a few pix to post, but they'll have to wait until later on…One thing real quickly, though—Something seems to really enjoy my Big Jims. Right now the consensus among my co-workers is that it's either rabbits or raccoons…It could be the large rats we have here, as well, though. Some of the tooth marks are very short and narrow, which makes me think of sharp, pointy teeth:

big_jim_dmg_aug6_1.jpg

big_jim_dmg_aug6_6.jpg

Trippa said:
Thats not good about the pests getting at your chillis ....maybe a spray of super hot chilli mix on them will deter them?

Thanks Trippa! My insect spray seems to be holding them at bay for now...

romy6 said:
 Time to set some traps G man !!!!

Agreed…Thanks Jamie!

capsidadburn said:
Good luck with that midnight snack bandit Gary!

Thanks Mike…I thought you might enjoy this photo of my Siam Queen Thai Basil:

basil_hedge1.jpg

chileaddict said:
Hey Gary. Just checking in to say hi, and as usual, I am in awe of your crop this year. Nice pics of the Big Jim. Can you post pics of those plants plz?

Hey Richard! Thanks so much! I need to get a current shot of my Big Jim plants…Until I can do that tomorrow, here's some photos of my New Mexico 6-4 plants (seeds from Faron Lytle). To the left of the largest 6-4 bush is a Trinidad Scorpion container plant for scale. The 6-4s are loaded with big pods, obscured by the dense foliage:

6-4_4.jpg

Here's a couple shots of some nice 6-4 pods. Sorry about the blurry:

6-4_1.jpg

6-4_2.jpg

jedisushi06 said:
Son of a bitch gary.  Kill the varmits!

Thanks Mike! I'm afraid there are too many to kill…The woods are thick with them.

I had "something" eating my Jimmy Nardello's, and the Kurts. They only hit the low to the ground ones, once they got them and the higher up ones set they left them alone.

Devv, on 11 Jul 2014 - 6:14 PM, said:
Devv said:

Does that really work? I hate doctors…

It sure does. The doc uses liquid Nitrogen, but the computer air cans get really cold too. I started doing that 10 years ago. Make sure the straw will spray a tiny pattern so you have the control, and do it late fall so you're out of the intense sun. This can and will cause a small blister, just like when you write the check for it ;)

I'm not a fan of the doctors either!

Devv said:
I had "something" eating my Jimmy Nardello's, and the Kurts. They only hit the low to the ground ones, once they got them and the higher up ones set they left them alone.

It sure does. The doc uses liquid Nitrogen, but the computer air cans get really cold too. I started doing that 10 years ago. Make sure the straw will spray a tiny pattern so you have the control, and do it late fall so you're out of the intense sun. This can and will cause a small blister, just like when you write the check for it ;)

I'm not a fan of the doctors either!

Wow, you are now my DIY guru! Thanks!

chileaddict said:
Hey Gary. Just checking in to say hi, and as usual, I am in awe of your crop this year. Nice pics of the Big Jim. Can you post pics of those plants plz?

Here ya go, Richard—Big Jim. Thanks so much for turning me onto this wonderful chile, my friend! The smell of this area of my patch in the warmth of the day is maddeningly sabroso. Look for a 25-plant row of Lytle's Big Jim in 2015:

Big_jim_Aug8_4.jpg

Big Jim:

Big_jim_Aug8_11.jpg

Lumbre:

Lumbre_Aug8_8.jpg

The Lumbre plants are in a hotter part of the garden, hence the smallish pods. The June and July Lumbre pods were a nice size, but I ate 'em all, every one…. :P

Lumbre_Aug8_2.jpg

Chile Piquin (sp), from Chile Seed USA (Lytle family):

LytlePequin_Aug8_1.jpg

Lytle's "Chile Piquin":

LytlePequin_Aug8_7.jpg

Chile de Arbol, Mexican "Chubby" var. from Facebook friend Carlos Orellana. These plants are truly tree-like. The main trunks near the ground are like baseball bats. This one will be back next year:

DeArbol_Aug8_1.jpg

Gary you're riding that Nu-Mex wave high and mighty ! Awesome pod  size and quantities on the plants. You might have to rig up one of those wire cage roto  roasters for the grill . I can see all those "Jims, Anaheims, Lumbre's and Hatch.....(if you grow them) blistering over the lump charcoal.

Back