• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Yeah the website did change a bit last year but the selection is very similar.

I don't think I have a picture of the Datil. I remember it having a nice Chinense flavour and aroma and was a Hab type heat. Not too sure about sweet?
I did grow a Sweet Datil(turns red) that was suppose to be Mild but turned out Med/Hot. Excellent flavour and was sort of sweet/fruity and not too hot. I used to use this one alot in cooking.
I did keep some isolated seed a couple of years ago if interested?

Micca

What I have gathered from my readings is the Datil is meant to be yellow, very hot, sweet and have some form of Chinense flavour.

The only thing I grew that matched that set of characteristics is a Beni Highlands that has pods that ripen to orange.

What I have gathered from my readings is the Datil is meant to be yellow, very hot, sweet and have some form of Chinense flavour.

The only thing I grew that matched that set of characteristics is a Beni Highlands that has pods that ripen to orange.

Thats right Harry.
The one I grew was Yellow and was quite hot, just can't remember if it was sweet tasting(not too good on flavour descriptions).
I have grown the Beni Highlands but did not manage to get any fruit from it.

Micca

I've got regular jalapeno seeds but I want to grow a bigger type one this season are billy bikers large, have any different flavour?

I grew them last season but never got a chance to really try one. I had two plants and they both got hammered by mite earlier on in the season. Pissed off as they were one of the main varieties I wanted to try!

I also tried growing NuMex Jalmundo which are supposed to be big and tasty. Same story. :mad:

Definitely gonna have a crack at the BB's again this coming season but haven't made my mind up on the Jalmundos (at this point, most probably not--really have to keep that list number down!).

I grew them last season but never got a chance to really try one. I had two plants and they both got hammered by mite earlier on in the season. Pissed off as they were one of the main varieties I wanted to try!

I also tried growing NuMex Jalmundo which are supposed to be big and tasty. Same story. :mad:

Definitely gonna have a crack at the BB's again this coming season but haven't made my mind up on the Jalmundos (at this point, most probably not--really have to keep that list number down!).

I am looking at these at the moment and trying to decide whether I need more Jalapeno seeds or not??

Giant Jalapeno

Early Jalapeno

and

Firefox

I really shouldn't be getting more seeds but that has never stopped me before :D

I bought both the Giant and Early Jalapeno from pepperlover, going to get them going in the next week or so.

My shopping cart with Judy has the giant ones in there also, just waiting for some of her "sold outs" to come back in stock before i order again.

Mezo.

This online shopping malarkey is really starting to get out of control for me :D the amount of shopping carts I have full around the place ready for me to push submit is stupid... actually got to go and pick up a care package at the office from THSC as I speak ... :D it just arrived yeeehaaa

I'm not the only one then :P I have 3 orders of seeds from different sources on their way to my door right now.... and I think need some more too ;)

No you aren't the only one Mega ,... we all have this sickness to some degree :D Ahh my new Serrano Seeds , my new 7 pot yellow the Jam and Nagasav BBQ sauce replenishment has arrived from THSC .... right now to sample the Jam!

Thats right Harry.
The one I grew was Yellow and was quite hot, just can't remember if it was sweet tasting(not too good on flavour descriptions).
I have grown the Beni Highlands but did not manage to get any fruit from it.

Micca

One Beni Highlands plant here was very productive while the other plant has been a bust. There's one tiny very late set fruit on the plant I consider a failure.

Don't expect much from the Giant Jalapeno... I grew them two seasons ago and both plants produced completely heatless pods and there was some variation in pod shape. I'm suspecting a Jal x bell-type hybrid.

Good to know gas cheers bro. I was actually seriously looking at the Firefox because it says it is hotter.
By the way I have quite a few Jalapeno HTM seeds. Bizzare heat all stingy on the lips but a decent size just take a long time to ripen to red ( how I prefer them) if anyone wants a crack feel free to hit me up.
And also if you get the chance try THSC Yellow 7 'the Jam' it is frigging marvelous

What are the Jalapeno HTM again? They sound good... I love a good lip burn!

It's a shame I have to slash the number of plants I will be growing this coming season... I wouldn't mind going on a hunt to find the Jalapeno that does it for me. Grow out a whole sheep-load of different ones and taste test 'em all! :D

At this point, BB is definitely in, got the seeds for but don't know if I can find room for NuMex Vaquero (I've heard it's sweeter than most Jalapenos but is still hot--sounds like my kinda thing), and I've since decided that Jalmundo is out.

From PepperLover, Mezo.

First plant:

IMG_4144.jpg

Second plant:

IMG_4073.jpg

at $4.00 worth a punt i reckon.

Are you feeling lucky? ;)

Giant "Jalapeno" (far right):

IMG_4432.jpg

Both plants produced pods with a strong capsicum (bell) taste too regardless of pod shape variation. Not a bad thing by my tastes, but without any heat they may as well have just been small capsicums to me. Perhaps an interesting stabilization project if anyone does get some heat from theirs?

On another note, the other Jalapeno type in the pic were good 'uns. Tasty as and a decent heat for Jals... just a little on the small side though. I grew them from seed I had saved from a Jal that I scored from the local organic markets a few years back. Tempted to grow them again but will give some other types a burl first.

I saved some seeds from `jalapenos x-large` I bought in woolworths last year. Do you think it's worth trying to grow them? I'm thinking the chances of cross pollination are low from a commercial grower who does a lot of one variety, (they have these chillies for sale all the time), but is there a chance they are an unstable hybrid that won't grow true? I don't think they'd worry about people growing out the seeds and they'd be stable.

I saved some seeds from `jalapenos x-large` I bought in woolworths last year. Do you think it's worth trying to grow them? I'm thinking the chances of cross pollination are low from a commercial grower who does a lot of one variety, (they have these chillies for sale all the time), but is there a chance they are an unstable hybrid that won't grow true? I don't think they'd worry about people growing out the seeds and they'd be stable.

Only way to know is to give it a go.

hi guys,
i have a couple of 1st year Bhuts and scorpions in the ground that didnt produce a single fruit this year. Plenty of flowers that all dropped.
I put this down to the brutally hot summer we had this year.
What iv'e read here is these plants do better in their seconed year and was wondering how to prune or cut back the plants.
Or should i just remove them and reuse the space for new ones?
Cheers,
Kevvy

Back