• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winterizing

also planning an over wintering, using natural light under a velux window in a loft conversion.

*blush* second post!

-g-

I suppose cutting the plants back cant hurt any. After all when you put them back out they will just become pushier and start (hopefully) to explode like crazy. I may just cut them all back, use an even fert (e.g 10-10-10), water as per earlier instructions, and see what happens.

MrArboc said:
And preventing all possibility of photosynthesis?

I must be missing something in the translation.

Once again I missed you! If you weren't sitting there with that smug old world smile and those meatballs, I might have seen you!

New growth that is acclamated to the new light levels willsprout and take off.

ANY OLD LEAVES WILL SUCK LIFE FROM THE PLANT
AND THEN DIE ANYWAYS.

Winterizing is a matter of conserving the life force contained in the plant.

Dying leaves, pods, bugs, all suck life force out.

patrick said:
Last winter was my first attempt at over wintering plants and the plants did fine. I didn't cut them back at all. Four plants total...

Ditto on all counts!

I didn't use lights though, just some window light.

My plants have an abundance of that mystical life force dwelling deep within them and I would like to keep it berried therein. Comith the season of new life and beginnings my specimens can release the life force that dwelleth to spawn new growth and perhaps an abundance more than the year before.

WOW I dont know where that came from but damn im a fricken poet...:lol:

Silver_Surfer said:
Ditto on all counts!

I didn't use lights though, just some window light.

OK(;))

IF YOU LIVE ON TRINIDAD, OR IN MEXICO, OR THE HEART OF DIXIE, ANYWHERE ELSE NEAR THE PHUCKING EQUATOR.....

OVERWINTERING THREADS AINT FOR YOU!!

YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY HAVE A WINTER TO OVERWINTER SOMETHING.
;)

crazy8 said:
My plants have an abundance of that mystical life force dwelling deep within them and I would like to keep it berried therein. Comith the season of new life and beginnings my specimens can release the life force that dwelleth to spawn new growth and perhaps an abundance more than the year before.

WOW I dont know where that came from but damn im a fricken poet...:lol:

Thine poetic offerings so inspired mine soul that it did flitteth off like a six year old girl pixie!

;)

I live walking distance from the north pole so there is such a things as "winter" for me. :D Wish I was closer to the Heart of Dixie though.

crazy8 said:
I live walking distance from the north pole so there is such a things as "winter" for me. :D Wish I was closer to the Heart of Dixie though.

Yes you are in.

If we need a thread about setting a plant on your window sil during the long harsh winter that lasts 3 weeks or so in dixie, we'll let ya know SS!!;)

(all in good fun, and yes we are jealous of your short winter SS!!)

cheezydemon said:
Once again I missed you! If you weren't sitting there with that smug old world smile and those meatballs, I might have seen you!

New growth that is acclamated to the new light levels willsprout and take off.

ANY OLD LEAVES WILL SUCK LIFE FROM THE PLANT
AND THEN DIE ANYWAYS.

Winterizing is a matter of conserving the life force contained in the plant.

Dying leaves, pods, bugs, all suck life force out.

cheezydemon said:
OK(;))

IF YOU LIVE ON TRINIDAD, OR IN MEXICO, OR THE HEART OF DIXIE, ANYWHERE ELSE NEAR THE PHUCKING EQUATOR.....

OVERWINTERING THREADS AINT FOR YOU!!

YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY HAVE A WINTER TO OVERWINTER SOMETHING.
;)

Thine poetic offerings so inspired mine soul that it did flitteth off like a six year old girl pixie!

;)

Well. I guess I'm stupid. I have done it wrong all along. I thought photosynthesis was something that plants needed to survive. I guess I was wrong. I WILL SCREAM AND BUTCHER MY PLANTS SO THAT THEY WILL SURVIVE! BRINGING THEM INSIDE AND PAMPER THEM CLEARLY WON'T WORK! BOY AM I GLAD I DIDN'T KNOW THIS BEFORE!

Do you even have a real winter next to your smoker in Ky?

Well im only speaking hypothetically here but plants need an atmosphere in which they can survive. If you want your plants to flower and fruit then provide them with warmth, food, and good light. If you lack any of those you will get a certain result. I would think it would require more energy from the plant to maintain its leaves and spawn new growth if you leave it all in tact.

If you cut it back it will still require energy for new growth but not nearly as much and there wont be any leaves to maintain and hogging energy from the plant. I guess when it comes down to it you either find what works for you or go with what sounds like it will work. I guess based on what we have discussed so far, it seems (for me and where I live) to cut back the plants, minimal light (fluorescent), feed, water, and pinch new growth would be the better choices for my. Not to mention that also for me this seems to sound like the most logical steps to take. I think the big idea here is that when you cut back the plant, water it, feed it, five it some light is that you give the plant everything it needs to live but you keep it from growing, that way come spring you set it outside and "BAM" flowers and pods everywhere. Who wouldnt want that? :D

cheezydemon said:
If we need a thread about setting a plant on your window sil during the long harsh winter that lasts 3 weeks or so in dixie, we'll let ya know SS!!;)

:lol:

Winters last the full 3 months here, but I agree that's not as long as farther north. ;) Last year it only dropped down to 19F, but I've seen temps below zero here b4, although it has been awhile. My plants didn't make it outside this year until after early April's last frost.
The funny thing about winter here is it doesn't exist indoors, unless you count the pleasant drop in humidity. :P

cheezydemon said:
Yes you are in.

Silver_Surfer said:
:lol:

Winters last the full 3 months here, but I agree that's not as long as farther north. ;) Last year it only dropped down to 19F, but I've seen temps below zero here b4, although it has been awhile. My plants didn't make it outside this year until after early April's last frost.
The funny thing about winter here is it doesn't exist indoors, unless you count the pleasant drop in humidity. :P

Too funny! I get 3 months of summer, 8 months of winter and 1 month of tough sledding. A change of venue would be nice.

Now I know this is slightly off topic....OK its way off topic but i think all this convo sparked it. I had a dream last night that I was pruning all my plants down and getting the ready for winter. Now I still have a ways to go as far as how hot off stuff I can handle but is there anything in the unwritten book of "The Birth of A Chili Head" that says dreams of your plants and anything pepper related is a sure fire sign of a new born chili head? lol

Silver_Surfer said:
Too cold for my bones. :lol:

Cheezy is in Kentucky and complaining. :D

DID YOU GET 4 INCHES OF ICE LAST YEAR????????;)

Point taken, but we get some down and dirty winter here, not like those poor schmucks in Canada!lol, ;).

crazy8 said:
Now I know this is slightly off topic....OK its way off topic but i think all this convo sparked it. I had a dream last night that I was pruning all my plants down and getting the ready for winter. Now I still have a ways to go as far as how hot off stuff I can handle but is there anything in the unwritten book of "The Birth of A Chili Head" that says dreams of your plants and anything pepper related is a sure fire sign of a new born chili head? lol

Your membership card is in the mail.

The next sympton is sprouting seeds in NOVEMBER....before your dead plants have gotten cold!

crazy8 said:
I suppose cutting the plants back cant hurt any. After all when you put them back out they will just become pushier and start (hopefully) to explode like crazy. I may just cut them all back, use an even fert (e.g 10-10-10), water as per earlier instructions, and see what happens.

I usually use a higher potassium fertilizer before overwintering and then I don't feed them anything but water until spring. Aphids seem to love nitrogen and the new growth it produces. My plants get cut way back roots and all, this way I can overwinter more plants without lights and if I didn't cut them back they'd get root bound and then require huge pots. In my opinion, what you cut off the top should be proportional to what you trim off the roots

So Potawie that brings up another good point. I thought about using 1 or 3 gallon containers for each of the plants I brought in. Based on my list above what size container would you recommend I use? Baes on that I will then also know how much to cut back and the more I can keep the better start I will have next year :D Perhaps 1/2 gal. milk cartons cut in half could be a good size?

I have a mint plant that has been over wintered for the last 6 years and I have done nothing to help it ever. Last year I didn't even trim the dead leave I just let them mulch the top soil. It's in a huge 20 gallon cement planter, but not sure if that helps or not. I plan on leaving most of my peppers outside this year to see what happens. If they survive great if not I have plenty of seeds. The coldest night in my area is usually around 55 if that. I will see what happens.

Back