• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winterizing

I think next season I am going to put all/most of my plants in pots. It seems a lot of you do it and it makes good sense to. I have a huge patio and so what ever I cant fit in the garden can get potted and it also allows me to move them around and what not.

Well most of my plants now are about 2 feet tall so a 1 gal container seemed like that would be plenty. I just brought up the 1/2 gal. milk carton thing because you were talking about cutting the root ball to and it seemed like a good idea but not sure if that would be going to far.

LGHT said:
I have a mint plant that has been over wintered for the last 6 years and I have done nothing to help it ever. Last year I didn't even trim the dead leave I just let them mulch the top soil. It's in a huge 20 gallon cement planter, but not sure if that helps or not. I plan on leaving most of my peppers outside this year to see what happens. If they survive great if not I have plenty of seeds. The coldest night in my area is usually around 55 if that. I will see what happens.

The way I overwinter mint, is to pull it out by the roots if possible, carefully place it in a trash bag and throw all of that in the trash.

Spray the area liberally with roundup.

Burn limbs and yard waste on the spot where the mint was.

Pave over the spot where the mint was.....

The shit still comes back.

Are you telling me that in southern cali, you take steps to help your mint survive?;)

cheezydemon said:
Are you telling me that in southern cali, you take steps to help your mint survive?;)

hahah I never knew mint was that hardy. I figured it was the weather that helped it stay alive. So I shouldn't expect the same outcome with my pepper plants?

Ever think about ordering a priest to do an exorcism. Im not catholic but I hear they come highly recommended. If only peppers could be like that. Hey something else the U of M can work on now. You all heard about the new apple they just came up with and have planned to get out this weekend and in full force next year right? Well It supposed to be amazing. But just think an indestructible pepper plant, so strong it can "survive" MN winters.

cheezydemon said:
DID YOU GET 4 INCHES OF ICE LAST YEAR????????;)

Point taken, but we get some down and dirty winter here, not like those poor schmucks in Canada!lol, ;).

No ice last year, just a light snow (6 inches). Several years back we had a bad ice storm (freezing rain) that had the power out for 5 days.
The Canadians do have the advantage of a long enough winter to decrease the bug pop. :) I have seen 10 below zero here but that was many years ago.

I am in the Tennessee valley and we get down in to negative F usually once or twice a year. Last winter there was a week when it did not get about freezing. But other than that, days in january and february above 50 and sometimes into 60 is not abnormal. All I do it give my plants a good watering and put them in the garage. Garage is detached and heated but only to the point that is does not get below freezing in there. Once the aphids begin to attack like crazy I cut all the smaller branches off and leave just the big stems. Cut the rootball down small enough to fit into a quart or half gallon container with new soil and put under the lights with the new plants. The aphids usually start really heavily around christmas time and I start my new plants first of january so all is good.

january and february above 50 and sometimes into 60 is not abnormal.
I WOULD KILL for that. I would love to be growing stuff by then, that would be so awesome. Maybe what I should do for containers (and be cheap to) is to talk 1gal milk jugs and cut them in half and use that. Might not be a bad size. Ill have to see how big the root balls are when I dig them up to make sure its not to dramatic. But Im thinking it will work nicely.

DAMMIT MR ARBOC!!!! You are muddying the waters.

IF YOU GET REAL WINTER, LIKE THE ICE STORMS AND ^ MONTHS OF NEAR FREEZING TEMPS WE GET HERE IN MOTHERPHUCKING KY.....(;))

THEN CUT YOUR PEPPER PLANTS DOWN TO JUST BELOW ANY LEAF NODES.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! NO LEAVES!!!! ANY QUESTIONS?????

My first year overwintering, I just cut back to few leaves. The leaves withered and died in the new light, and took much of the plants energy with them.

2 of my overwintered plants DID NOT make it that year.

Last year, there was not a leaf to be seen on BRING THE PHUCKING PLANTS IN day.

2 weeks later, there was tons of new growth PHOTOPHUCKINGSYNTHESIZING......

and these new leaves flourished in the diminished lights. HAPPY plants every one.

CLASS MOTHERPHUCKING DISMISSED!

*eyes mr Arboc ominously, daring any further intrusion...*;)

I love a person who has the artistic ability to strategically place profound vernaculars in such a horrendously hysterical fashion. That is awesome.
PHOTOPHUCKINGSYNTHESIZING......
That ones the best. I give you a nice gold star. Go put it on the board next to your name. :D

While we are still on the subject, is this something you can do for many years or should pepper plants only be allowed to produce after so many years then expired and replaced by new seedlings?

I will let my 7 pot tell me!;)

I will overwinter her until she just croaks.

My understanding though, is that 4 years is the max.

crazy8 said:
I WOULD KILL for that. I would love to be growing stuff by then, that would be so awesome. Maybe what I should do for containers (and be cheap to) is to talk 1gal milk jugs and cut them in half and use that. Might not be a bad size. Ill have to see how big the root balls are when I dig them up to make sure its not to dramatic. But Im thinking it will work nicely.

The days get nice and warm like that but the nights still get below freezing. During march is the first time I try to put plants out and then I get to for a couple hours a day sometimes a couple days in a row, but come april, its on.

I am pretty sure, as long as they are taken care of, chili plants can grow and produce well for 10-12 years.

I think chile plants are most productive in the first few years but they can grow for a long time and they can get huge stalks!

To be serious - most leaves will fall of when you bring a plant inside, but saying that they will suck the life out of the plant is BS. Cut them as they wilt, not before.

GOT IT??? ;)

MrArboc said:
To be serious - most leaves will fall of when you bring a plant inside, but saying that they will suck the life out of the plant is BS. Cut them as they wilt, not before.

GOT IT??? ;)

WRONGO

The plant will divert extra energy and resources to these now light inefficient leaves. They will suck this energy up for a week or 2 before wilting, clawing to hang on. That energy could have gone straight into new, light efficient growth.

If you still disagree, fine, experiment on your own plants, but lets civilly agree to disagree.

I cut my plants way back including leaves and roots, and hope they go semi-dormant for 3 or 4 months. If I had adequate light and wanted them to continue growing, I'd leave a couple shoots but I generally just leave a bare looking stump

cheezydemon said:
The way I overwinter mint, is to pull it out by the roots if possible, carefully place it in a trash bag and throw all of that in the trash.

Spray the area liberally with roundup.

Burn limbs and yard waste on the spot where the mint was.

Pave over the spot where the mint was.....

The shit still comes back.

You beat me to it! Mint is horrid to get rid of. That shit won't die even if you water it regularly with bleach.

I think I see a new flavor coming through all this talk
mintmojito.jpg

...Now with bleach for that extra bright white sparkle ***ting***

Back