• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

World's Hottest Burger?

I am sure it was going on before the Carolina Reaper & I am sure there was more than Pepper Joe involved; but it seems like since the Pepper Joe promotion of the Carolina Reaper lots of folk are going for the World's Hottest fill in the blank with Guinness.  World's hottest burger sounds fun, especially with fire on top.  But my favorite World's Hottest gimmick to date is the World's Hottest Ice Cream.

Glad a small business could get some free publicity from the press.

http://www.peppersbymail.com/carolina-reaper-icecream/

The Hot Pepper said:
Green relish???

What color is the dress? I mean burger? :lol:

Please adjust your monitor, there is an orange sauce on top!
OK, typo there...

orange sauce on top of the BURGER, a spicy green relish on top of the (what I assume is a) tomato......I actually watched the video... but then what's that flat stuff under the tomato?  Looks like cabbage?

Dunno, doesn't matter anyway....

Ed Curry is the owner/promoter of the Carolina Reaper.  I don't know what PepperJoe has to do with that other than promoting seeds/peppers from what he may be growing.  There will always be a Newest Hotter Pepper.

JayT's right, the math doesn't add up.  "The patty itself has cayenne pepper, ghost pepper powder and a pure chili extract in it, as well as being topped with a thick layer of relish made of serrano peppers, jalapeno peppers and habanero peppers."  No way they can get 1 millionn out of that.

There is a Hellfire Hot Sauce company, I wonder if it's the same sauce on top? 

At least they plan on raising some money and awareness for a good cause. 

Sicman, I brought up Pepper Joe because he was really good at marketing the Carolina Reaper under the hottest pepper in the world label.  Maybe it was Ed Currie himself, but back in the day when the thing was catching on I recall hearing much more from Pepper Joe than from Ed Currie. 

Sure it was going on before the Carolina Reaper but none of the others had the volume of press that the Carolina Reaper had.  Since that media frenzy, now it seems like there is a hottest everything in the world claim.  My favorite claim being the hottest ice cream in the world.

So maybe it shouldn't be Pepper Joe that gets the credit for getting the whole hottest something in the world thing going, but it seems like it to me.

Salsa Lady, yes Ed Currie created the Carolina Reaper and has promoted it.  Now I might be completely wrong as I read this on Pepper Joe's website, but story goes when Mr. Currie was read to market Carolina Reaper seeds he went to Pepper Joe to market them.  I am just observing that it seems Pepper Joe did a very good job of it.

Besides, Pepper Joe was promoting the hottest pepper in the world before the Carolina Reaper took the title.  He really is fantastic at marketing a thing.  Now we got the hottest everything in the world.

ajdrew said:
So maybe it shouldn't be Pepper Joe that gets the credit for getting the whole hottest something in the world thing going, but it seems like it to me.

:rofl:

I guess you are new to hot peppers if you believe that.

It's just that the Carolina Reaper is the only one that's come out since the proliferation of social media ...

I have a feeling that's what it FEELS LIKE, but without knowing what people's profits are and have always been like, I bet it's ultimately not true ...

Hot Pepper, I think just the opposite.  I -think- I can remember when Pepper Joe's catalog was more of a photo copy list of seeds.  He has been around for something like 25 years.  I remember the photo copy catalogs for a fact, but can not remember when Pepper Joe came into the mix.  Seems like he has always been there. I remember seeing him on talk shows that I dont think exist today.  So gonna say what you are observing is that I have been oblivious to the internet take on things.

Grant, your take on social media makes a great deal of sense.  Also, I haven't paid much attention to social media in this genre much before.  Previously, most of what I read was from the seed catalogs and like I said, much of my impression has come from Pepper Joe himself.

Everyone - It seems like there are folk who don't like Pepper Joe.  I don't know the guy.  Have gotten his list then catalog for much time, have ordered from him multiple times and never had a bad experience.  Just have the impression that he has been promoting the hottest this and that seeds for much time.

Mainstream companies aren't going to deal with the ever-changing hottest pepper, so when a pepper like ghost came along with such a palatable and marketable name, they went for the jugular. That's why you don't see Bhut Jolokia Doritos, you see Ghost Pepper Doritos, the "nickname." There's a lot to be said in the name. No reaper mainstream products. No moruga. No nothing. Just ghost, habanero, jalapeno.

The world record stuff is fun and all but it's for chiliheads, not the public.

Walk down the street and ask if they know what a ghost pepper is. Then ask reaper.

Go into a bar and ask if they know what the world's hottest pepper is. Ghost!

Hot Pepper - Yes ghost peppers are main stream.  In person, I sell a lot more ghost pepper than any other super hot because people are more likely to know what they are.  Going to what Grant said about social media, I sell more Carolina Reaper and Moruga online.  You know, that whole Guinness says this CPI says that thing.

However, how long have they been available?  Carolina Reaper came out of no where and found its way into so much mainstream media it is unreal.  Thing is, Pepper Joe was right there promoting the Ghost Pepper for more years than I can remember.  Not going to say for sure it was back during the photo copy days, but I do seem to remember an advertisement in Mother Earth News back when Mother Earth News was more of a hippie thing.

25 years is a lot of time.

Reaper made it into mainstream media but 0 mainstream products. Diminishing returns, you could say.

25 years? Photo copies? What the hell you talkin bout? The ghost does not go back that far.

After Thought - Why do you think it is that Ghost Pepper has found so much mainstream attention?  My theory is that its range is not as wide as many of the super hots.  Hard to make a commercial product from a produce that is not consistent in flavor or SHU.  Everyone knows the high end of Carolina Reaper is somewhere around 2,200,000 and most know the average, but read somewhere the low is somewhere around 1,000,000.  Hard to make a consistent product if the thing ranges that much.

The name and the need for one. It will not be replaced as the hottest for a long time, in the mainstream.

25 years and photocopies was a reference to what I said earlier about how long Pepper Joe has been in business and how I think I remember his list / catalog being photocopies.  I am saying Pepper Joe has been around for a long time.

If nothing else - Pepper Joe suffers here for guilt by association w/ Dale, if nothing else.

I'm not in the biz, so I'll just call the spade.

In twenty years he couldn't learn to spot a Dale, lol.

The ghost was marketable because of the name, and the public need for something hotter than hab. Now it's a done deal. They are not going to mess with another pepper for a long time unless it fits the criteria and the latter has faded.

If the mainstream really cared about (accurate) heat you would have seen Scotch Bonnet and Red Savina Doritos a long time ago.

Isn't the "next" pepper since the ghost really "chipotle" ...

The mistake is thinking it's just a race to the top of the Scoville's - that's for suppliers to wank over and spin into ad/mkt'ing ...

If Outback starting advertising Steak De Arbol tomorrow, but July 4th there would be De Arbol hot sauces and an uptick in sales, and then the inevitable hybrids would come within the next year - ghost de arbol, arbolokia, etc ...

Back