• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

World's Hottest Burger?

meinchoh said:
Pepper Joe also suffered from himself....

I never really saw much from him, so I can't say much either way ...

I will say that I found growing hot peppers by way of PJ's site - Google loves PJ ...

I feel like there was something laughably wrong about his posted growing instructions or something - something that would lead one to over-water, maybe ...

Was year ago, now, and it's hard to remember ...

I'm kind of a believer in having SOME RESPECT for tradition, and I think he probably gets a little bit of wiggle-room for having worked hard creating, or increasing the whole market ...

Maybe I'm giving him undue credit in saying that, but that was the impression I got in the early days of poking around/lurking ...

Yeah he didn't self destruct. Multiple times.

Hot Pepper - I definitely see what you mean about the name.  Especially with the advertisements for Popeyes focusing on the mystery of the ghost pepper as if it is a mystery.  Its a pepper, it grows in the ground, you pick it, you eat it, no mystery.

On the Dale and Pepper Joe thing, both before my time here.  Never had a bad experience ordering from Pepper Joe but don't know a thing about him other than he has been around for 25 years so he must be doing something right.

PepperTrent - They got pills for that now.

ajdrew said:

Never had a bad experience ordering from Pepper Joe because I was really lucky and didn't get any of his mutant/crossed seeds. I don't know a thing about him other than much of the pepper community feels disdain for him for they way he has done his business for around for 25 years. You would think he would learn to do something right.

FIFY :confused:

Probably should just stay out of this, but I will say that the Ghost came into attention about 8 years ago.  I know it was around India before that, but the Frontal Agritech Company of Assam, India brought it to the world.  The first products came from the UK and I believe they were powders.  The first sauce that I am aware of in the USA was Danny Cash's Naga Sabi Bomb.  (It was fantastic btw).  

AjDrew, Joe has been around for a while, but he was working in women's clothing as a National Manager for a chain store for 30 years so I don't think the 25yrs is accurate.  He has a reputation for being a great marketer, but a lousy seedsman.  People order Reaper seeds and get orange habs.  I have seen it more times than I can count.  He wore out his welcome here a couple years ago for attacking people for daring question him.  Deal with him if you wish, but buyer beware.

THP is right on the money with the Ghost being mainstream and the others niche.  Ghost is a name people can remember that is why you never heard of the naga morich or bhut jolokia other than here.  You know when Taco Bell and Doritos get involved it is mainstream.  Reaper could get there someday, but only if nothing else unseats it in the meantime.

JayT - Pepper Joe's site says he has been around for 25 years.  I remember his seed list from way back, but cant say how long for sure.  I -think- I saw an add in Mother Earth News back in the day but it was so long I dont know.  It might have been his wife's tomato list.

On being a great marketer, that is what I was getting at.  Seems like Mr. Currie went to him for a reason.  Which brings me to the oddest thing.  I too have read people say they ordered Reaper and got something else.  Thing is, I could have sworn his site said he was selling seed that came from Puckerbutt.  Just went back to confirm and no such claim is there now.  Weirder than that are the new prices.

Pepper Joe Carolina Reaper seed 10 for 9.99
Puckerbutt Carolina Reaper seeds 10 for 6.00

I am going with what you said.  If a person can get nearly twice as much money for a thing that the maker gets, he has gotta be one hell of a marketer.

On the reaper getting unseated.  Sure it will happen but getting the impression it hasn't happened recently because Guinness has been rethinking how to define what a new pepper is.  Demonstrating SHU is likely a fairly easy thing, but demonstrating stability of cultivar not so easy.  Lots of places can provide lab results for SHU but not sure there is a body you can hand seeds to and have them certify that they grow true. 

Great marketer? Ha. Joe was just being Joe with all the spamming and rubbing people the wrong way. Just look at the way he markets his own business. Now do you call him that? Curry was the "marketer" by hiring Joe, knowing it would cause controversy... and that it did. Most of the long discussions were over their relationship (the hiring of a "snake oil salesman"), and the documentation that was withheld. And who would you guess held that back? Curry pulled the strings, Joe was just being Joe.

Is that what you are calling marketing? The heated discussions here? Joe being Joe? Or the fact it got into Guinness and on TV, etc. Yeah, Curry did all that.

You guys are funny. Joe, great marketer.

Yeah, not sure where Jay saw this great marketing lol. He has one of the worst reputations here. In the Curry scenario (sounds like a movie) he was the puppet. The true marketing was at the hire level (of Joe to stir shit on the net and be himself) and in the professional TV appearances by Curry, Guinness, etc.

Hot Pepper - In a political forum am following a conversation about Star Bucks race relation thing.  Someone brought up the Chick Fillet insanity and then the Hobby Lobby debase.  Their theory was that the businesses don't much care about the issues as long as they can make tons of waves and get the free advertising that comes from those waves.  Sounds like you are observing much the same thing.  Since it seems to work really well, thinking you have a career in marketing.  Me, I got trouble planning what i am going to have for dinner.  Can't really think in terms necessary to market things the way big business does.  Thinking it takes a lot more smarts than what I have.  So will stick with pulling weeds for a living.

JayT, guy Pepper Joe's website says he has been in business for 25 years.  Puckerbutt has a trademark indicating they were established in something like 1968.  Maybe they are smoking their own peppers.  Maybe it is all legit.  Its just a casual conversation, so I am thinking we can just take them at their word.

On the sausage corn dogs, dude that is a fantastic food idea!  Have a friend here in Kentucky who opened a gourmet sandwich trailer / truck thing.  If you want a hook up so he can tell you about the health codes in building such a thing, let me know.

For the record pepperjoe.com was registered Dec 9 1998 and the first available record is:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990125102103/http://www.pepperjoe.com/

Jan 25 1999.

And on that page is the "Celebrating 10th Year" logo, so that would be 1990 if counting the year 1990 as first.

25 years is DEAD ON! Well done sir.

Plus it says 25 on his site, now I see that... :D

"Live" website since 1999.

The Hot Pepper said:
For the record pepperjoe.com was registered Dec 9 1998 and the first available record is:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990125102103/http://www.pepperjoe.com/

Jan 25 1999.

And on that page is the "Celebrating 10th Year" logo, so that would be 1990 if counting the year 1990 as first.

25 years is DEAD ON! Well done sir.

Plus it says 25 on his site, now I see that... :D

"Live" website since 1999.

Now you are really making me LOL ...

Because I'm recalling that Baker's had the Ring of Fire web-ring too ...

TROLOLOLOLOL web-ring in 2015, for realz yo ...

web-ring > real-time, apparently ...

I'm dying ...

No, really ...

Back