Yellow Bhut Jolokia - ChileSeeds

cmpman1974 said:
Anyone have these? I want some. The seed store will be open for business if you do. lol. I've been wanting a true yellow super hot like this.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/yellow_bhut_jolokia_chilli_pepper_seeds.htm

Chris

Interesting news you have given mate.

Whatever the developer says, I have my own doubts about completely yellow Bhut. The look is slightly telling a different story to me.

I will ask my friends in Assam if there is an yellow variety of Bhut in Assam or nearby region.

NJA

I too have my doubts and want Gerald to cut one open and show the interior. :) I'll be interested to hear what your friends say NJA. Please inform.

Chris

Their US link says,

qote....

"The Lemon Bhut Jolokia that you see pictured is the result of carefully controled cross pollination. As you can see from the photos, we are picturing a standard "Red Bhut Jolokia" along side the Yellow to show that the size, shape and texture are identical. The most important goal for us was to keep the heat level up. We have accomplished that and can assure you that this is a Bhut Jolokia through and through!!"
unqote.....

They grow Habs and Bhuts only in 11 Acres.
Controlled cross pollination...they say.

Honestly, I smell sumtin piscian thingy.

NJA

Actually, I am going to talk to Frontal Agrotech in Assam tonight.

NJA

10 Pounds for 10 seeds.........I'm not that desperate...:shocked:

That's around $22 + postage which would bring it up to about $30AUD....$3 a seed is a bit out there.....I'd want to be really sure that what they were saying is true.....

Is it a coincidence or design, I don't know. But if I am permitted to cross post from another Pepper website, a person posted the following message couple of days back.
I qote,

Posted by Craig Dremann(craig@ecoseeds.com) on Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 1:06

Dear All,
Tepin is a wild plant and not cultivated yet, so the heat varies a lot from year-to-year, depending on the weather and rainfall in the desert.

In Florida, people call it the grove pepper, because before they sprayed the orange groves, it used to grow wild there, and in Texas, it is called the Turkey pepper, because the wild turkeys eat them. Elsewhere they are called Bird eye pepper, or chiltepin.

By comparison, the Bhut Jolokia is one of the hottest large-fruited peppers in the Capsicum chinense group, and it is what I call a surprise-pepper, because when you eat it fresh, it has a thin layer of almost pure heat coating the inside of the pepper.

In general, the red and chocolate varieties of Capsicum chinense (the group of habaneros and Scotch Bonnets) are much milder than the yellow varieties.

And in the garden, to develop the hottest pepper, alway feed them once a month with bone meal, about one cup per plant dug in around the base, and back off on watering and no nitrogen when the fruit is forming and ripening.

I am predicting that the ultimate in hot peppers, the absolute world's hottest pepper, even hotter than the Bhut Jolokia, or the Tepin, etc. will be a yellow Bhut Jolokia shaped fruit, maybe currently growing in Brazil or Bolivia.
I will look forward to whomever discovers that pepper!

Unqote.

Underline is mine.

NJA

I bought these off ebay back in september so i would think Gerald got them from there too I see he using same pic too. I had good results with that ebayer's other seeds this year.

Is this a hybrid of some sort or would the seeds from a Yellow Bhut breed true?

I suppose that if it is what it claims to be, it should breed true. No?

The Chocolate Bhut is the real deal and stable. I'm not sure how many years Frontal Agritech stablized it. I have never encountered a yellow super hot with even 2/3rd the heat of its red/brown counterparts. I'm interested. I always felt it was genetics. Fataliis are hot and awesome, but they don't have the Bih level of heat. In reality, I'd consume a Fatalii anyday of the week because while hot they are edible. :)

I do get intrigued by stuff though as you can all tell. lol.

it should breed true if the work was put into it.

FYI, I spoke to the Ebay seller. He said he's worked on this for a while and was willing to send more seed than 10 for me if I wanted to 'split' with someone. Hell, for $1.25 S/H, I'll go in with one U.S. member if interested. I buy seeds once in a rare moon now. :)

I know someone with these seeds and i am damn sure that they didn't pay
$3 a pop, can't say who though :D

Can I guess? Kidding.

Yes, the seller is Asiasgarden. I've put a request into the Ebay seller for more info. I'll let you know what I find out. :)

Back