beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

tctenten said:
If that is the one about the sourdough, it was a pretty interesting listen.  Thanks for the link.

No, because they really couldn't get the Wyeast or WhiteLabs folks to tell you how to yeast ranch, they brought a kid/guy from a university lab who studies yeast on to explain it ...

It's the how-to in terms of using inoculating loops/needles and agar and glycerin for freezing, and a really good description of the process ...

Shit like this is gold for me, because my reading comprehension of written word sucks and my ability to form memories from listening to it while I work, is really good ...

My subconscious is a finely tuned machine for bulk storage of learned wisdom, and my conscious brain is a hectic and turbulent place w/ shitty attention to detail etc ... LOL.

oh f**k yes ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430167437.074115.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430167453.643265.jpg

just need a male-to-male coupler to join 3/8 and 7/16 hoses, i guess ...

UPDATE: http://amzn.com/B007ZDO9SO<-- I hope this is the right size coupler/reducer, I didn't bother to verify because i'm kind of slammed right now ...

i'm in there ...

mash into sous vide supreme w/ grain in voile or BIAB bag, and set probe for metrics ...

lift bag out, and place it in strainer over 20 qt SS boil kettle, and increase temp of wort to 170F in SVS to mash-out while sparging ...

sparge grains in bag using 170F sansaire water while SVS wort gets up to mash out temp, and then filter SVS wort through grain bag for filtration if nothing else ...

everything else would just be standard from that point on ...

pid-controlled mash and sparge temps should provide the control i'm looking for, and free up 90 mins time where i can do work-work while the brewing process is automated, or rather, under pid-control ...

this will work for 2-3 gal batches ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430167553.397545.jpg

beer #1 made legit bottle bombs ...
beer #2 is bottled and might be bottle bombs, too ...
beer #3 is ready to bottle, and might make bottle bombs like beer #1 - i need to open her up and check the gravity and see if i need to re-pitch or if it can be bottled up ...

i have hops and grains on hand to make like 10-12 more gallons, though ...

no reason to fret, beer is most definitely happening ...

wheebz said:
if you are constantly getting bottle bombs, you might have issues with attenuation and your beer not finishing before you bottle

batch #1 probably should have been re-pitched ... it's the one that I pitched (dry) at 58F and then it went down to like 56F in the styro ... didn't have a Cool Brewer bag yet ...

batch #2 had a better gravities, but good luck figuring out how many priming tabs to use in a 32 oz bottle on the internet ... nobody knows, apparently ... mine have 10x in them, but I vented the swing-top's night #1, twice ...

batch #3 will be interesting to see, it's not yet bottled yet, and i'm going to take a gravity today ... the cause for concern is that i could have some weird sugar shit going on because i think the mash exceeded 170F for a period of time because i'd popped it in the oven to hold temp, but forgot to turn the oven off - oops ... at least i have corn sugar so i can prime the batch, and not have to use the tabs this time ...

i'd love to be able to have had week #5 knowledge when i made week #1 batches ...
cypresshill1973 said:
   :drunk:

WE WANT SEE BEER!!!!!!!!

I popped a 32 oz swing top of grapefruit honey ale into the fridge, we'll open one up later ... it's at 10 days in the bottle, only, but fuck it ...

It was immensely drinkable - I polished off the 32oz swing-top without difficulty ;)

Tangerine or orange zest, and half as much, and it would be even better I think ...

All in all, though - highly motivated to fill up all of my fermenters!

I am up to:

7x gallon jugs
1x three gallon jug
1x five gallon jug
2x five gallon kegs (w/ an additional airlock drilled lid ea)
1x two and a half gallon keg
1x six and a half gallon bucket w/ drilled lid
4x two and a half gallon HDPE cubes
2x two gallon buckets w/ drilled lids

... and it's time to fill them ALL!

CHEERS!

Back