Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

r5XE0cJ.jpg

bQCanhQ.jpg

JvzBFbl.jpg

Oro still looks like it my end up better for my area.

buRkQ4V.jpg

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#342 DanMcG

DanMcG

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:48 AM

My orange rocoto in a 7 gallon bag is really going crazy compared to it's in the garden brothers and sisters.

roco resiz.JPG

Garden plants;

IMG_2837.JPG

Bagged plant has at least 6 pods going, garden zero. 

IMG_2855.JPG

Thanks for looking, I can't wait to taste one of these.

#343 Pr0digal_son

Pr0digal_son

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

My orange rocoto in a 7 gallon bag is really going crazy compared to it's in the garden brothers and sisters.
attachicon.gif roco resiz.JPG
Garden plants;
attachicon.gif IMG_2837.JPG

Bagged plant has at least 6 pods going, garden zero. 
attachicon.gif IMG_2855.JPG

Thanks for looking, I can't wait to taste one of these.

Containers are the way to grow these in the N.Atlantic. They take a very long time to set up when grown in the ground.

#344 DanMcG

DanMcG

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

Containers are the way to grow these in the N.Atlantic. They take a very long time to set up when grown in the ground.

I'd have to agree, I also have a reaper in a bag and it too is doing much better the the ones in the ground. I guess I'll be doing more bags next year.

#345 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

Aji Largo

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190613_151536.jpg
  • 20190613_151610.jpg
  • 20190613_151650.jpg

#346 FITN

FITN

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

I haven't been on here in a few months, life happens ya know. I thought you all might like to see my 55 gallon kratky rocoto experiment. This is a Melon rocoto from pepperlovers. You can see some of the wrinkled leaves left from a vicious aphid battle but it seems to have recovered nicely.

Attached Thumbnails

• KIMG0666.JPG
  • KIMG0667.JPG
  • KIMG0668.JPG

#347 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

More damn rain and my largest mini red dont like it. Oddly the other mini and the Aji Oro dont seem to mind it nearly as much. The larger mini is loaded with LOTS of tiny pods....i mean LOTS but i will be amazed if it holds even half of them. The Aji Oro though looks to be forming a pod on virtually every single flower and the pods are growing like crazy. I got a pod or two almost thumb sized sofar. That sucker germinated and grew sooooo freaking slow. Now i can almost watch it grow daily.

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 16 June 2019 - 09:44 AM.

#348 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,940 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

Help me out, guys. 

Big Apple Red Rocoto, transplanted a couple weeks ago. This happened overnight Saturday. No idea if it's a pest, a nute, a disease or what. It's suddenly there. No fertilizer applied. Note the slow radiading from top down. It seems to have either quit or slowed dramatically, but obviously the damage is done.

Any clues?

Big Apple Red1.jpg

Big Apple Red2.jpg

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#349 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

Jeez.  It looks like burn.  I can tell you the Big Apple was the most heat/sun sensitive rocoto I've grown, but I never experienced anything like that. It's been outside in the sun for some time now?  My only suggestion would be get it into indirect light - and I remember you don't give them much direct light which makes this even more odd.  Really a bummer to see.  I can see it was a good looking plant up until this.

#350 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,940 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

No, only sun is a very early hour to hour and a half and same at sundown. It never even went into transplant shock, just settled in and went to work. None of the 12+ other rocotos are affected in any way.

Our shit spring continues into summer: 50s, 60s and almost constant overcast. Snotty drizzly rain daily.

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#351 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

Love this Oro sofar.

RjcTFO6.jpg

CEPWmfX.jpg

3931luC.jpg

Smaller Mini red for some reason just isnt bothered as much by all the rain as the larger one. Only some minor yellowing but leaves are not nearly as droopy.

LyCgRDt.jpg

0rkCkqJ.jpg

#352 DanMcG

DanMcG

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

What does stem color mean if anything?

I just noticed that a couple of my mansano's have light green stems and some are dark all most purple. 

green roco.JPG

purple roco.JPG

All the seeds came from the same source. 

I need to look back at earlier pic's, I don't remember them being different.

Thanks.

#353 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,217 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:00 AM

Ecuadorian sweet Rocoto

Za21DrE.jpgwMRBTYp.jpgThey will plump up a bit more before ripening, but will stay more oblong than round.

:onfire:  

#354 DanMcG

DanMcG

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

That's interesting GIP, I have this one manzano/orange rocoto plant that has always been different then the rest... more of a upright wispy grower. Then this morning I see it's first pepper and it looks a lot like yours.

IMG_2932.JPG

#355 podz

podz

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

I've got 6 Manzano Rojos that are approaching the tops of their tomato cages. These usually grow quite large before they start to flower, but are showing small buds already now:

IMG_1345.jpeg

I've got 2 Montufars - one from a rescue project and one from seed. The one from seed is approaching waist high:

IMG_1343.jpeg

Also a flower from the Montufar:

IMG_1338.jpeg

And my Pico Mucho is doing great as well, though I thought several times that this plant was going to die (once it was attacked by a squirrel which ate halfway through the main stem - but it recovered and grew a woody stalk). This plant is also almost waist high now.

IMG_1344.jpeg

#356 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,217 posts
  • (x5)

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

That's interesting GIP, I have this one manzano/orange rocoto plant that has always been different then the rest... more of a upright wispy grower. Then this morning I see it's first pepper and it looks a lot like yours.

attachicon.gif IMG_2932.JPG

there are several pubescens with pods that are not apple /manzano/rounded shape. 

they are possibly/probably my favorite domesticated cultivar of capsicum to grow  :party:

#357 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,217 posts
  • (x5)

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

Peru Bitdumi rocoto

pOgl5Fq.jpg

0N1FEqu.jpg

Edited by Guatemalan Insanity Pepper, 24 June 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#358 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

I've got 6 Manzano Rojos that are approaching the tops of their tomato cages. These usually grow quite large before they start to flower, but are showing small buds already now:

I've got 2 Montufars - one from a rescue project and one from seed. The one from seed is approaching waist high:

Also a flower from the Montufar:

And my Pico Mucho is doing great as well, though I thought several times that this plant was going to die (once it was attacked by a squirrel which ate halfway through the main stem - but it recovered and grew a woody stalk). This plant is also almost waist high now.

Your Montufar and Pico in particular have beautiful foliage.  That's exactly the look I want to see on my leaves during the early season and those pictures do a great job of showing the texture and color.

there are several pubescens with pods that are not apple /manzano/rounded shape. 

they are possibly/probably my favorite domesticated cultivar of capsicum to grow  :party:

Ditto, GIP.  :party:

Edited by CaneDog, 24 June 2019 - 02:53 PM.

#359 Royce_SA

Royce_SA

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:02 PM

Wow guys your plants look awesome. I've got 2 mini rocotos yellow growing decently. 1st time growing them so dont really know what to expect but they're doing well regardless.20190624_220003.jpg 20190624_215943.jpg

#360 podz

podz

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:25 AM

Your Montufar and Pico in particular have beautiful foliage.  That's exactly the look I want to see on my leaves during the early season and those pictures do a great job of showing the texture and color.

Yes, the Manzano Rojos leaves are not quite so rich in color - they are also softer, not so "crispy" as the Montufars and Pico Muchos. I think they are native to quite different climates.

I think both the Montufar and the Pico Mucho will need potting up here soon. Maybe next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests