• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

These are from some of your seeds i sent to a friend. I think he said he is growing 12 or 24 total.
X9laTBi.jpg

2PbhAkr.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
These are from some of your seeds i sent to a friend. I think he said he is growing 12 or 24 total.
X9laTBi.jpg

2PbhAkr.jpg
Man, a dozen to 2 dozen plants is going to yield an really large amount of pods. Hopefully he is ready for all of that picking that is bound to ensue!

Miraflores finally got a open flower. I think it likes a tad more sun than the mini red so i moved it for a few days to see.

Gave my best mini red a tad more shade. Its flowering very well now. It wont get full sun until late afternoon. My little mini red in a small pot has a couple tiny pods now. It flowers like crazy but is probably still getting a little too much mid day sun.

Anyone else noticed that some bugs dont seem to like them as much as other peppers? I got hit with fea beetles (only on the lower patio) and they loved the annuums but hardly touched both Miraflores right by them. Their invasion appears to be over. I didnt see any this morning. Ive heard the life cycle is short and damage isnt as bad as many other bugs.

I had 1 CCN plant with some aphids but i isolated it quickly and hosed it down twice with neem. I didnt see any during 2nd spraying but the ants were still there.

Masher said:
This was the first Red Rocoto to flower and throw pods back in March. 15286428854716233653520013577709.jpg

The others were started later and took forever to sprout but coming along with blooms now. Slowly but surely they are trying.

Red Rocotos

15286430241654186703000869233063.jpg

15286430740115470315821636418075.jpg

Lacoto

15286431407952228176998768912244.jpg

Orange Rocoto

15286432501971165483647082236985.jpg

Peruvian Sweet Rocoto

15286433233243621040740840728678.jpg

Pineapple Rocoto

1528643398944892165620506176503.jpg
Nice looking Pubes! That pineapple rocoto has a ton of flowers on it.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Almost forgot, My friend from Idaho posted up his first pod from your seeds. He said the nights there still get pretty cool but the none of his plants seem to mind. LOL im not sure i explained to him how hot these can get :D
fgufk8j.jpg

Glad to see he is already getting some pods forming!

A couple pube pics and another "fuzzy wuzzy"

Moved the largest mini red behind this lattice and one of the peanut bags. It really helps to keep the fabric pot cool
yZnMRlI.jpg

c0SgctH.jpg

Miraflores flower. The plant got some very minor flea beetle damage.
GZj0zq6.jpg

These Aji Arnaucho are rather stunning. I cant wait to see how the flavor and heat compares to a beni highlands.
lx3Gizr.jpg

ATYJdj5.jpg

This took me slightly by surprise. The farmers market jalapeno is a furry little sucker too. I will get some better macro pics when it cloudy.
GHEjEzH.jpg

JLR888G.jpg

Been enjoying the thread so I thought I'd post a few up.  Not giveaways, but some of the Rocoto varieties I have going this season.

San Isidro- One of my favorites. Will grow big and produce heavy even in just a single season here in the PNW.

San_Isidro.jpg

De Seda - Light mustard yellow pod and a unique aroma/flavor. Another favorite.
De_Seda.jpg

Gelbe Riesen
Gelbe_Riesen.jpg

Big Apple - My first year growing these.  Great looking plants, but kinda squat and slower developing so far.
Big_Apple.jpg

Costa Rican Red
CostaRR.jpg

Arequipa Giant
Arequipa_Giant.jpg

Went outside to check on all of them after another cooler day and some rain. The large Miraflores had quite a few open flowers. The small one still has no sign of even a bud on it. Gunna toss a handful of fish and kelp pellets in it. The brand i got is pretty high in calcium but not super high in nitrogen. This little guy always looks like it needs food after it gets too wet.

I still have 2 tiny Mini Reds under lights. As an experiment i just watered them without nutrients for several weeks. They got yellow of course. I stuck a few of these Alaska fish pellets in the potting mix and dissolved some in water too. They bounced right back in a few days. One even had really tiny blooms on it. Im going to up pot them soon and see how they do inside.

Beautiful plants Canedog.  Looks like you have a good climate for Pubescens. 
ShowMeDaSauce, is the Miraflores a good pepper? I will need to check into that one for next year.

I have picked about 10 ripe peppers so far on the Aji Limo Rojo.  I have not tried it on chicken or fish yet, but 
I have put a little bit in my cucumber salad.  Only half of a pepper and it gave it a nice kick. Really good.  Today I
put half a pepper in my scrambled eggs with tomato, bell pepper, all from the garden.  Yum Yum.   I'm going to
make another cucumber salad today.  Now all I need is one of Dale's chicken recipes's using this pepper.
I will be growing this pepper again next year. 

IMG_0075.jpg

I do have a few pods on the Peruvian Red Rocoto.  I think I'm going to relocate my plant to another spot where I
can keep a better eye on it.

IMG_0076.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce, is the Miraflores a good pepper? I will need to check into that one for next year.

Not a clue. During the giveaway he had Miraflores red listed. The ones i got had Miraflores yellow on the pack. Ive never grown a rocoto before. I asked for a variety that should produce in my climate. Sofar the mini red looks more likely to work here but i think i got the shade worked out now.

Back