• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Post Your Eats!

Food blogs and megathreads.
Hi Folks, New to sanctioned cook-off's and looking for a little help in the "Red" department. Our local cook-off (3rd year) has become CASI sanctioned this year. I Have not entered Red before and after some web searching it appears that beans in "Red" chili is taboo? Do I just keep it simple with beef and tomatoe base with a few spices? Any input would appreciated. My "Green" (people choice 2 years running) rocks, but it doesnt seem to be as appreciated in the big TX cook-offs as the "Red". Is that right? I know I'm showing my rookie colors here so I would appreciate a little advice from you chili pro's. Thank:?:
In the furtherment of finding ways to make EVERYTHING I eat hot and spicey, I cooked this little diddy up last night. Buy Kraft Mac and Cheese and sausage. Before you cook everything, take 1/4 cup of milk (to be used for the mac and cheese) and add 4 dime sized drops of Holy Shit hot sauce, mix well, then start your cooking while this mixture sits. Boil one sausage in water for 10 minutes. Take out the sausage, use the same water to cook the macaroni. Once the mac is done, drain the water out, place it back in the pan and mix in your milk and cheeselike mix, stir. Then slice up the sausage and add that to the mixture. Then take one to two ripe, fresh jalapenos and dice those, then, once again, add those to the mix...final step...eat it.
I made a killer burrito tonight. I hate dry ingredients in burritos... like diced grilled chicken thrown in with some rice and beans, that's not a chicken burrito! I seasoned (salt and pepper) and grilled some chicken breasts (cast iron, not outdoors), cooked them well done, and let them cool. Then I shredded the chicken. I had a sauce going of: 1 large can diced plum tomatoes 1 whole small onion, sliced 1 clove garlic, sliced Death Rain habanero powder Hot sauce I added the shredded chicked and simmered for about an hour. Making the burrito: Warm your tortilla and lay it flat. Add the shredded chicken, some black beans, and pepperjack cheese. Roll it up, pop under broiler for a minute. Eat with whatever you want on top (salsa...
Take 1.75 lbs of split peas and rinse. Place in water in your slow cooker and let sit for 20 minutes(then stir) at which point the water will be cloady. Strain the water into the sink and wash the peas again. Continue to do this until the water is not cloady. Then, with your slow cooker filled with water and the peas, throw in about 6-10 splashes of either Blair's Jearsey Death or CaJohn's Z..Nothing Beyond. Stir and let sit over night (occasionally stirring and adding more water if neccesary). In the morning, the peas should have soaked up alot of the water and most of the hot sauce and are now ready to cook. Throw in some sliced carrots (ie: canned or fresh), canned ham, and then turn the cooker to high. Stir occasionally. Cooking...
Make your own award winning chili (thick style). Pour the chili onto a baking sheet. Put the baking sheet in the freezer. Leave it in the freezer for a few hours. You don't want it to freeze solid, you want it to get to the point where you can work with it with your hands to make balls out of it (meatball size, but not huge or the centers will stay cold when cooking). Roll some balls, and dip them in corndog batter. Deep fry at 375 degrees until golden brown. Serve with sour cream.
How to seal a stuffed jalapeno: I've used the toothpick method. I've also slit them, and stuffed successfully. Another way: A carrot slice (sliced like a nickel). You can get all different sizes from one carrot, which is what is needed, as all peppers are different. Plus, it would be traditional, as in jalapenos escabeche.
A hearty chili/stew recipe. Ingredients bolded. Two rib-eye steaks about 3/4 thick each. Trim all outer fat. Cut the steaks into 3/4 inch cubes. Braise the cubes in a dutch oven with 1/4 cup olive oil. When browned on all sides, add 5 cloves of garlic (whole, or chopped) and slightly brown. Now add 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes, 3 12 oz. bottles of pale ale beer, and 1/2 tablespoon salt. Spice it up with 1/2 tablespoon cumin, 3/4 tablespoon freshly ground corriander seeds, 3/4 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger, and whatever you want to add for heat! As hot sauce lovers, this is up to you. Cover up the pot and simmer on low for 2 hours. Take two baking potatoes, peel and cube into 3/4 inch cubes. Put into...
Prepare your favorite pasta sauce. Then, prepare the Spicy Meatballs 1 lb. ground sirloin 1/4 lb. ground lamb 1 cup bread crumbs 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese 2 eggs 1 tablespoon habanero powder 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon salt Mix together and shape into meatballs. In a cast iron skillet, brown the meat balls in olive oil. When browned, simmer in your pasta sauce for 20 minutes. Now, serve the spicy meatballs over linguini or your favorite pasta.
I love a restaurant called Carlsbad Tavern. I wandered in one day because I just needed to get away from work and it was across the street. I've been hooked ever since. The used to have a Cholula Kabob on the menu. Big chunks of pork and beef, bell pepper, mushroom, onion, and pineapple. It was served on the skewer over refried black beans. I found out later the recipe was simply: equal parts Cholula and clarified butter. marinate over night. I have used a couple different hot sauces with this recipe and have used ghee as well as clarified butter. Try your own!! I have to say spicy grilled pineapple is worth a whole kabob by itself.
hello to all, here is an unusual combination but hey it works. 2 red chilli peppers (choose your own heat) 4 fresh strawberries ice cubes 50ml strawberry syrup 3 dashes of chilli sauce (tabasco or however brave you feel) tonic water to top up. remove the seeds and pith from one red chilli pepper and chop it up,crush the strawberries and the chilli pepper in the bottom of an old fashioned glass with a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon, fill with whole ice cubes and add the strawberry syrup and chilli sauce.top up with the tonic water stir and serve garnished with the remaining whole chilli pepper. sit back on the patio and enjoy.:) regards ian
Just made these this morning... Ingredient list: 1. Two eggs 2. Pinch of Black Pepper 3. Cheddar and Mooozzarella cheese 5. 1.5 Tablespoon of Defcon Condition 2 or 1 7. Fire 23. Greased Pan Break open the eggs, remove the umbilical cords, and then whip the eggs(scramble). Mix in a pinch of black pepper, and 1.5(more or less) of either Defcon Condition 2 or 1(be sure to mix it really good). Throw it on the greased up pan and make some scrambled eggs. Thrown on Cheddar and Mooozzarella cheese right before you are ready to take the eggs off, turn down the heat and cover the pan until the cheese is melted. Throw it on a plate and serve with your favorite fruit, and some buttered toast(maybe even some bacon, but not Kevin Bacon because...
Tuna Habanero 2 tuna fillets, sushi quality. Rub a little salt on them. In a mortis and pestle, put 1/2 cup raw almonds, 1/4 cup black peppercorns. Grind well, but not quite to a powder. Add 2 teaspoons habanero powder. Mix. This is the crust for your tuna. On a plate, take your tuna fillets and roll them in the crust. In a hot saute pan, heat some sesame oil. Sear the tuna on both sides, keeping it medium rare in the middle. Serve with roasted potatoes and a lemon cut in half for squeezing.
Take chicken breasts and cut into medium size cubes. Marinate them in: Cape Fear's Red Savina Habanero Premium Hot Sauce Plain yogurt Fresh lemon juice Cumin Salt Pepper Marinate for 24 hours. Put on skewers and grill. Serve in a pita like this: watercress on the bottom, chicken, tomatoes, yogurt (or raita), hot sauce. Good eatin! I just made some.
I made these tasty potatoe boats the other day when I was smoking a ham. You do need to have a smoker and a deep fryer for this recipe. Ingredients: 6 large baker potatoes Bacon Shredded cheese of choice Fresh chives (optional) Sour cream (optional) Salsa (optional) I poked a couple of holes in the spuds and put them on the top rack of my smoker and let smoke for 2 hours at 225f. Remove from smoker and cut in half lenghth-wise. Using an icecream scoop, scoop out the centers of the potatoes forming a dugout canoe looking thing. You want to keep 1/4 to 1/2 " of potatoe from the sides. Deep fry for 7-10 minutes at 375f. Remove and drain well. Fry bacon to a crisp and crumble on top of the boats. Add chease and pop back into the...
I was reading Bubba's Ultimate Burger post with slaw on it, and I wanted to post a tip for non-runny slaw, so you can top your burgers and dogs with it and not have soggy bread. Put the shredded cabbage in a bowl and season with kosher salt. Toss it well. Put it in the fridge, covered, for 24 hours. The next day, the salt will have drawn the water out of the cabbage. Just take the cabbage out and dry it with paper towels. Now when you make your slaw and season it, it won't draw the water out.
try this... hungarian hot peppers roasted on the bbq...chopped and mixed with balsamic vinegar, ev olive oil salt and pepper....this is your dip...now grill up some fresh pita and season it with olive oil, chili powder, and grilling spices...cut it into wedges and serve warm. You'll be amazed how addictive it is! Sometimes when the peppers aren't too hot i'll grill up some green jalepino and add to the bowl. it's not death nightmare hot...but very tasty!
Back