• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

2009 Grow Log

FiveSix said:
Very nice Man!!!!! this thread is large so somehow I missed the part about you building the dutch pot system. How is that "How to hydro"? Did you get the download or the one printed? Download is great, but then i'd have to find a laptop or print everything so I can read in the bathroom lol. Can't wait to see how it turns out. How expensive were the supplies?

I probably spent about 150 bucks on all the stuff including tools. And I got the e-book I printed the DIY section at work. My system is pretty modified but I got the basic design for the PVC stand for the dutch pot system from the book. It's looks sweet when it's all together, I can't wait to finish so I can show yall.

And I hope my idea for corking the ends of the drain pipe works lol.

K i woke up, sawed off the excess foam and then used some pliers to create about a 1" well in the foam. Then I filled it up with silicone sealant. I'm going to wait for this to dry a bit then get everything else glued together.

ExtremeBurn said:
sorry bout ur plant man... nice looking hydro system so far! i'm thinking about tryin hydro out.

You won't regret it! Just get 1 waterfarm complete, or build your own drip style system. It's the easiest and cheapest way to try out hydro. The more I read about organics and natural soil gardening the more I like hydro. That is a very difficult subject, almost like discussing politics or religion so I won't get into why. All I can say is that you won't be dissapointed!

Thread hijack over. PROCEED TXCLOSET :)

FiveSix said:
The more I read about organics and natural soil gardening the more I like hydro. That is a very difficult subject, almost like discussing politics or religion so I won't get into why. All I can say is that you won't be dissapointed!

You're not getting off that easy. It doesn't have to be a difficult subject, and I would like to know what terrible sekret you've discovered about organic and natural soil gardening. There are a lot of people who prefer hydro to dirt growing, and while we might mercilessly rib each other, I haven't seen any ugly spats.

Pam said:
You're not getting off that easy. It doesn't have to be a difficult subject, and I would like to know what terrible sekret you've discovered about organic and natural soil gardening. There are a lot of people who prefer hydro to dirt growing, and while we might mercilessly rib each other, I haven't seen any ugly spats.

The main reason is food pathogen saftey, E-coli and Salmanella.
next bugs, I don't feel like eating a nice fresh pepper only to find a nice maggot resting inside.

Plants can only use PURE ELEMENTS. they don't know the difference between fish emulsion and Hydro nutrient solutions. All organist must be broken down into pure elements before the plant can use them, In hydro these nutrients are delivered right to the roots. In soil the roots grow and grow in search of fresh nutrient and water which results in more work for the plant and causes less vigorous vegetative growth.

Also because plants only use pure elements, Nutrient solutions are not steroids which is common misinformation.

EWWWWWWWWWW
DCP_0802.jpg

FiveSix said:
...pure elements...

Well, they do have to be in a bioavailable form. Try putting pure potassium on your plants and see what happens.

Point taken about the bugs though. It seems easier to keep a hydro setup sterile. And if you live around the artic circle or something, indoor hydro seems more reasonable than regular grow techniques.

FiveSix said:
The main reason is food pathogen saftey, E-coli and Salmanella.

In your backyard? Fix your septic system, sir.

next bugs, I don't feel like eating a nice fresh pepper only to find a nice maggot resting inside.

Bugs do live outside. Yay! Not all of them are bad bugs, afterall. Sometimes bugs live inside, too; but I don't seem to be as squeamish as you. I'd squish the maggot and eat the pepper.

Plants can only use PURE ELEMENTS.

Goose piddle, all you have to do is look at the problems with pH to know that minerals can be abundant in solution or dirt and not be available to the plant to see the error in that statement. Nutrients and minerals are taken up in lots of different forms by plants, some are more readily available for the plant to use than others. Using a chemical fertilizer does not necessarily make them more available, or make them easier for the plant to use.

they don't know the difference between fish emulsion and Hydro nutrient solutions. All organist must be broken down into pure elements before the plant can use them,

Plants are not sentient, I agree. However, there is evidence that how a nutrient is supplied can affect taste and total nutrient content of fruit. It's complex, which is why we all argue so vociferously here about what works best.

In hydro these nutrients are delivered right to the roots. In soil the roots grow and grow in search of fresh nutrient and water which results in more work for the plant and causes less vigorous vegetative growth.

Now, that's just silly. Hydro might give you earlier and faster growth, but I challenge you to find fault with the vegetative growth of most any of the more experienced growers here by mid-season.

Also because plants only use pure elements, Nutrient solutions are not steroids which is common misinformation.

If your nutrients contain plant hormones, then you are indeed giving them plant steroids. Look, your first statement about bacteria being taken up by the plants gives the lie to that statement. If plants could only use pure elements, how does the Ecoli get up into the plant? If plants only use pure elements, how can I put a carnation in water with red food coloring and see the red water work its way through the veins of the plant? If your nutes contain plant hormones or growth stimulants or whatever purdy name you want to put on them, they are taken up without being broken down and are biologically active.

Look, there's nothing wrong with hydro. You'll get beautiful pepper plants using a hydro set up. Yay! Only, don't go hydro because you think there is something intrinsically wrong or dangerous about growing in dirt, cause there's not. You can use chemical fertilizers in dirt, too, and get good results. Organic practices are not required. They're preferred by me, but not required.

Pam said:
In your backyard? Fix your septic system, sir.
Who needs a septic system, I just go in my pants and then wash them after a week or 2 :!:

Bugs do live outside. Yay! Not all of them are bad bugs, afterall. Sometimes bugs live inside, too; but I don't seem to be as squeamish as you. I'd squish the maggot and eat the pepper.

That's more of a personal reason rather than a scientific one for me so I completely agree.

a chemical fertilizer does not necessarily make them more available, or make them easier for the plant to use.

I agree it doesnt make them "more" available, but the plant sees no difference between organic sources or not. so I don't think using a nutrient solution is less "natural"(to the plants) but natural is a relative statement.

Now, that's just silly. Hydro might give you earlier and faster growth, but I challenge you to find fault with the vegetative growth of most any of the more experienced growers here by mid-season.

Just saying there's less wasted energy on root development.

If your nutrients contain plant hormones, then you are indeed giving them plant steroids. Look, your first statement about bacteria being taken up by the plants gives the lie to that statement. If plants could only use pure elements, how does the Ecoli get up into the plant? If plants only use pure elements, how can I put a carnation in water with red food coloring and see the red water work its way through the veins of the plant? If your nutes contain plant hormones or growth stimulants or whatever purdy name you want to put on them, they are taken up without being broken down and are biologically active.

My nutrients will not contain hormones only dissolved nutrient salts. We all agree that hormones are steroids i was just trying to say that the solutions don't contain hormones. I also mean that the plant only uses the pure elements for nutrition. I wasnt saying only nutrients can only absorbed by the plants

again im still learning and can have some flawed statements, just clarifying my original points :)

Lol you guy's have been busy while I've been building.

Update:

Now that the silicone sealant has dried enough to be worked with, it's time to move on with the build.

Materials:
2 legs
4 90* elbows
1 T-joint
1 36" piece
2 17" pieces
Plumbers putty

First prime both ends of all pipes and all connectors. Then glue 1 90* connector to one end of the 36" piece.

3339281396_544b508516_b.jpg

The 36" inch piece connects the two front legs, which are the shorter legs. Use another 90* elbow to attach it to the other leg. Try and keep the legs at a right angle to the 36" piece

3339282488_3c2d023dc7_b.jpg

Next take one of the 90* elbows and put glue on one side of it. Attach it to one of the 16.5" legs and try and make sure it is facing straight. Stuff the inside of the 90* elbow completely full of plumbers putty up to the line where the pipe will fit. The pipe supporting the elbow is already sealed, this is to help keep water from pooling. (note: if you have a better idea feel free to use it but this is my solution to the problem of stopping up the pipe)

3339282828_99af7c4264.jpg

Repeat this step on the other end, then glue one 17" piece to each of the 90* elbows. Use the 17" pieces to adjust the angle of the 90* elbows. Connect the two 17" pieces with a T-joint. Make sure to only put glue on the two ends that are in-line with each other. Point the bottom of the T straight out perpendicular to the floor.

3338453355_4f53b69693_b.jpg

Repeat that entire process for the other half of the system

Then drill 7/8" holes in the middle of each 17" piece of drain railing. I wasn't able to find a 7/8" drill bit so I used a 3/8ths bit and bored the hole out until the bucket would fit snugly.

3338490219_c936cfa02d_b.jpg

3338454259_765145c080_b.jpg

So the drain manifold/stand is all but finished, I just have to join the two halves and attach the drainspout. Up next I have to build the drip manifold and run the hoses for all the drippers. Stay tuned for the finale some time this evening.

Nice design on the drip hydro TxCG. I guess you are putting the reservoir underneath and that is why it's tall. Are you using the PVC to transport water or just drip from under the buckets?

Back