• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2009 Pods On Thread

C, you plants and pods look great as usual...thanks for sharing...keep the photos coming...

Superb pics and plants Carol. I grew Japones last year and your plant looks very similar. Lots of upright pods in cluster. My overwintered Japone plant is already making a ton of small pods. Still probably at least 30 days away from picking.

bigt said:
I grew Japones last year and your plant looks very similar. Lots of upright pods in cluster. My overwintered Japone plant is already making a ton of small pods. Still probably at least 30 days away from picking.

Thanks! Good to know I'm on the right track with the ID-ing of this one. I figured deArbols would get bigger and hang down more.
Some of those pods have been there for several weeks already, so maybe not so long before I start seeing some ripening? I bet it's gonna be pretty. :cool:

I forgot to say that my de Arbols look just like yours Carol...my seeds came from Tomato Growers and they are a pretty reliable source for pure seed stock

AlabamaJack said:
I forgot to say that my de Arbols look just like yours Carol...

Hmmmm... 'tis a mystery then. Maybe the ones I sold were the odd ones out? Doesn't matter - those guys wanted cayennes anyway and I talked them into the "deArbols" as a substitute.

I don't want to make you all jealous but....

IMG_0036-1.jpg

Hahha, first pod of the season for me.

here is a shot of my Chile de Arbols..to me they look like yours Carol...

051609aChiledeArbol.jpg

Wow!Great bunch of pods folks!Thanks for joining in the "Pod Party"
Carol,very nice to see you back safe and sound!AJ I'm space limited a bit to much for those Tomatillos,especially for all the different variety's.At least I can get them here year round!
Keep those pods rolling folks.I'll be doing an update myself tomorrow!

AlabamaJack said:
here is a shot of my Chile de Arbols..to me they look like yours Carol...

So I guess the deArbols and Japones look almost identical except for the length of the peppers and the size of the plant. Oh, and the Japone is a Frutescens but the deArbol is an Annuum - from different parts of the world.

So, can we tell anything from the flowers? I noticed yours has 6 petals and mine (looking....) have 5 petals. Is this an indicator of species or something else?

Hot! My tailed peppers don't look like that scorpion either. Bummer.

That 7 pot looks like it's at about 0.9 pots at the moment. ;)

caroltlw said:
So I guess the deArbols and Japones look almost identical except for the length of the peppers and the size of the plant. Oh, and the Japone is a Frutescens but the deArbol is an Annuum - from different parts of the world.

So, can we tell anything from the flowers? I noticed yours has 6 petals and mine (looking....) have 5 petals. Is this an indicator of species or something else?

Here's a picture of my 2nd year overwintered Japones at the base. It has multiple shoots coming from the base. It's just starting to make pods - all very small. I can take more pictures if you want. This plant was grown from seed obtained from Redwood City in California. Hope that helps.

overwinteredjaponesmay1.jpg

We're getting a few more pods on here,thought I'd share...
3547549734_6441d07c64_b.jpg

Brown Congo
3547550826_db2895d104_b.jpg

Cili Goronong-Malaysia
3547551348_ddce5f1481_b.jpg

Tiger Teeth- Guyana
3546744121_17699c5d2c_b.jpg

Faria-Tobago Scotch Bonnet YR.2

Its a big Palm tree.I got it out of my rain gutter about 10 years ago.It grew through the pot right into the ground.I kept planning to move it....
You can see it higher up behind the Faria pic,Hmm,looks like I need to do some trimming!

Back