• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2016 - JoeFish Arkansas Grown

I have wanted a garden for awhile now. So Sept. 2013 I picked out a spot and started working on my spot.  All the rest is history.

My grow list... Since I was skeptical about starting seeds I ordered plants.  Hopefully I will start everything myself next year.

A Picture of my Garden spot.  It is about 21' x 27'
1zv9186.jpg

And my soil test....
http://postimg.org/image/n09oi22fn/

joe your plants are looking good so far. and they should bounce back just fine. if you got a tractor supply close they have there mini green houses on sale for 19.00 bucks. i got 1 yesterday to help protect my plants from the wind like we are having here today.

ArkansasJack said:
joe your plants are looking good so far. and they should bounce back just fine. if you got a tractor supply close they have there mini green houses on sale for 19.00 bucks. i got 1 yesterday to help protect my plants from the wind like we are having here today.
I cannot believe the wind we had last night and today is really bad too. Have a little greenhouse but it's holding my lights and other small plants. Are you using lights now or all sun?

ArkansasJack said:
im starting to hardin them off today........................

I walked outside for a minute today and almost took flight.  What is your plant out date usually?  I have asked around a little but I have never had a garden.  I am wanting to start a few tomatoes but im worried its too late.

it not to late to start tomatoes i started my tomatoes last week so they should be ready towards the end of april 6 to 8 weeks. im probbly gonna plant out my peppers at the end of april as well just kind of depends on the weather.last year i had to dig my plants up 2 times because the weather was up and down all  april. but get them tomatoes started asap.....................

ArkansasJack said:
it not to late to start tomatoes i started my tomatoes last week so they should be ready towards the end of april 6 to 8 weeks. im probbly gonna plant out my peppers at the end of april as well just kind of depends on the weather.last year i had to dig my plants up 2 times because the weather was up and down all  april. but get them tomatoes started asap.....................

I will, thanks for checking out my GLOG and helping me out!

Yeah, definitely plenty of time yet to start tomatoes.  I'll be starting some this weekend. 

Planting out is always a tough call.  Last year, we had snow here in May.  Two years ago, the last frost had already happened by this time.  For peppers, you want the ground to be somewhat warm.  If you only have a few, you can always cover them if there's a late frost.

Thanks fellers for the help I will be keeping y ears open for the go ahead. Looks like I'm going to have about 15 tomato plants and at least that many pepper plants plus the things my wife wants. I have either bitten off more than I can chew or going to wonder why I didn't start gardening sooner. My wife stays home so she will be able to split a little of the work with me so, I got my fingers crossed.

I agree sunburn. They will be fine, the new growth will be OK. Always best to start the hardening process on the East side of the house where they just get the morning sun.

A sprinkler works fine too to combat frost, but you have to be there just as it happens.

You'll be fine ;)

Lookin good over there, nice score on the cages, Craigslist? They will work out great. I ususally only do about 5 tomato plants but this year i plan to go with 15-20 plants

beerbreath81 said:
Lookin good over there, nice score on the cages, Craigslist? They will work out great. I ususally only do about 5 tomato plants but this year i plan to go with 15-20 plants
No a local gardener made them for me. They weren't too bad as far as price 12.50 each sounded fair to me, I guess. Going from 5 to 20? Wow that's a jump! Then again I'm going from never grown anything to 20+ pepper plants and at least 10 tomato plants. Wow I'm going to get my ass kicked this summer. At least I got all you fine people to motivate and educate. Thanks guys and Penny!

JoeFish said:
Do y'all top your plants? If so at what point?
yes, but you dont have to.  You are probably at the point to start topping, but how are they doing since the burn :onfire: ? I would wait till they fully recover. By loosing some leaves to sunburn you essentially have partially "stripped" them already.   I will capture some pics tonight of the ones i have topped/trimmed to give you some ideas and see result of doing so.

Wait, I think.....being the nerd I am my phone is littered with pics of my plants, so here are some

Oh and just to be clear, I ususally only top. this year i have played around with trimming too and have had really good results. My method is I top, then strip the plant of all leaves except the two biggest ones once the plant starts to come back I trim off the last two leaves..if you click on these picture you can see a little more detail

Here is a Carolina Reaper that has been topped, and all leaves stripped. If I remeber this is about 1.5 weeks after trimming. You can see its coming back really good. I removed the last two biggest leaves right after taking this picture.
20140319_194127.jpg

Big picure of peppers that have been topped/trimmed ones in the middle are pretty much all done. Take a look at the ones to the left, these were just topped and stripped. I bet you can pic out the Limos!!
20140319_194138.jpg

And finally here is a picture of a close up that has been topped, stripped and is in full swing of coming back strong.
20140319_193948.jpg

Good luck with whatever you decide. With as many as you have planted you can definatly play around to see what works best for you!

Yes I'm going to mess around with it BB I trimmed some of the sunburnt leaves about a week ago. When I get the chance I'll put some pics of them up.

All of them are doing well... I CAN pick out the limos easily. I don't understand but I guess it's not a big deal to them. They are growing like weeds.

I'm going to be topping a few and just leaving a few alone then at the last minute I'll pick the best looking ones I guess...

Back