• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

hogleg said:
Shark taste funky to me. They taste like a 9volt battery, not the shock but that taste thats left after the shock. yucky!

I agree. I have tried shark and there is just something that wasn't that pleasureable about it. Who knows, maybe different species taste different.

Since they are predators they probably absorb large amounts of heavy metals from the fish they consume. Probably the Metallic "battery" taste. 

D3monic said:
Since they are predators they probably absorb large amounts of heavy metals from the fish they consume. Probably the Metallic "battery" taste. 

I was kind of thinking that, but I had nothing to back it up. :sick:

hogleg said:
Somewhere I read or heard they excrete their urine through their meat and out of the pores on their skin. Giving them that funky alkali metallic taste.

homer_simpson_drooling_by_dondrug-d6h081a-2.jpg

I had shark fin soup when I was in Hong Kong, but was unsure if the rest was eatable. Guess not.
Here in California you don't need a license to fish off a pier. Does that apply elsewhere?

Rymerpt said:
I had shark fin soup when I was in Hong Kong, but was unsure if the rest was eatable. Guess not.
Here in California you don't need a license to fish off a pier. Does that apply elsewhere?

Public piers. Private or pay use and fishing club piers don't apply I believe. Not trying to bust your balls Ryme  ;)  just don't want anyone to get in trouble, fishing fines are redickulou$ these days. I'm curious if the law applies in other states too.

I was really into cat fishing for a while in Tn. There was a few years where I was fishing before and after work,heck I've blown work off completely to fish. Haven't wet a line since I moved to Florida,4 years ago.

hogleg said:
Somewhere I read or heard they excrete their urine through their meat and out of the pores on their skin. Giving them that funky alkali metallic taste.

Yep sharks urinate through their skin and if not cleaned properly and right after catching it can be inedible. I've only ever had mako and on quite a few occasions. Never had any funky taste so I guess I was lucky that it was cleaned and prepared properly. Works best with marinating or sauces.

I have been offshore fishing my whole life living in Florida as a kid and now off South Carolina.  I fish off a custom built 47' Ricky Gillikin during the summer fishing for everything from Mahi-mahi, wahoo, tuna, sailfish and the occasional Blue Marlin.  Here is a swordfish from an overnight trip 70 miles offshore last fall and we went 4 for 4 on the swordies with the biggest a little over 200 lbs caught at sunrise.  I am the second from the right.

sicman said:
I was really into cat fishing for a while in Tn. There was a few years where I was fishing before and after work,heck I've blown work off completely to fish. Haven't wet a line since I moved to Florida,4 years ago.
Me too, always kept the poles in my car. Used to go every day with this one chick after we got off work. Was good times. Tried to keep one in my work truck when I was in pipelines but always ended up busting it.

glad to see this thread is getting some use. lol

I like to fish for whatever bites that's (hopefully) legal (I say this for a reason because there are size limits ect. [I need to learn more of these] things you cant fish for in certain places you understand I imagine) and that my rods can handle. king fish, blue fish, permit, cobia are on the menu-although I haven't caught all of those yet. They are on my list. I have been trying some barracuda fishing, I built a tube lure. still trying to improve on the design of someone else. here the barracuda can get sizeable.

I had a million dollar lure idea when I was a kid. You know how everything attacks a laser light? Shine it at the wall and the dog will smash his face in. Frogs, fish squirrels , birds all kinds go nuts for them. I wanted to make a small one that the light emitter was the body and the light shined onto a spoon. I think since then a few companies have made some thing similar to what I envisioned. I wish I would of patented it but this was like 25 years ago. 

D3monic said:
I had a million dollar lure idea when I was a kid. You know how everything attacks a laser light? Shine it at the wall and the dog will smash his face in. Frogs, fish squirrels , birds all kinds go nuts for them. I wanted to make a small one that the light emitter was the body and the light shined onto a spoon. I think since then a few companies have made some thing similar to what I envisioned. I wish I would of patented it but this was like 25 years ago.

I ca just see the fish swimming along and then "Squirl". Sounds like a great idea.

I'm not gonna lie... I can't fish to save my life...

I occasionally will catch a small bass or 2. The largest thing I've ever caught was a 2 1/2 foot blacktip.

I get really discouraged though when I try to take my daughter fishing. She has never caught anything! We generally fish with worms, scented rubber stuff, squid, finger mullet, etc. She just wants nothing more than to catch something...

Any pointers?

I LOVE Fishin'! Anything that bites, fresh or Salt, doesn't matter. My kids hate fishing because of me. I use to go to the bay everyday for 2 yrs when they were real little, rain or shine :) Beat sittin at home. Trout fishing up in the Sierras is the best. Trying to post pics but photobucket is slooooow right now

Scuba_Steve said:
I'm not gonna lie... I can't fish to save my life...

I occasionally will catch a small bass or 2. The largest thing I've ever caught was a 2 1/2 foot blacktip.

I get really discouraged though when I try to take my daughter fishing. She has never caught anything! We generally fish with worms, scented rubber stuff, squid, finger mullet, etc. She just wants nothing more than to catch something...

Any pointers?
well I don't pretend to be an expert, but you could try my default fishing bait depending on the conditions.. sardines. Sardines have a variety of uses.

If you are saltwater fishing, here's something I might do.

If I am fishing for mackerel or blue fish, what I do is use 15 lb test or so, and a knocker rig and triple hooked sardine. How this works is that you clip off 2-3 feet of mono line to use as a leader, unless you have your own fluorocarbon or other leader. Set this line aside and begin to work on your main line. Take a small weight and thread it through the line and then thread a small orange Andes bead, followed by a sturdy swivel tied on one end. The idea of the Andes bead is to keep the weight from slipping down over the swivel. You want the weight to move freely, but not to slip down toward the hook. After you have your swivel tied, take the 2-3 feet of mono leader you set aside earlier and tie it to the other end of the sturdy swivel. At the end of the 2-3 feet of mono, tie a hook of your choice- I used triple hooks for this purpose (see the photos I posted earlier. its not the type of treble or triple hook you might be thinking of. Its basically three hooks attached together in a straight line). Hook the sardine with each hook respectively, from the stomach toward the front. the last hook should be through the lip of the sardine, which will keep it hopefully on your hook longer. Sardines seem to get soggy pretty fast so don't be surprised if you lose a few. Then just cast your sardine out and wait.

Back