• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

I'm a fishing junkie. Musky fishing is my favorite, but I also fish for walleye, pike, crappie, trout, salmon, etc. I fish local lakes and the Great Lakes, and I spend about 6 weeks a year in Ontario fishing Lake of the Woods and nearby smaller lakes. I was just up there last month ice fishing. We caught a bunch of crappies, and I landed a 36 inch lake trout, which was a blast! It fought for about 20 minutes before coming up, and almost spooled me about 6 times. I was using a barbless hook which is nerve-wracking and my arms were shaking by the time I got it on the ice. Good times! Now I can't wait for open water!

Oh and by the way I dont go fishing I go catching.

cool-old-people1004.jpg

muskymojo said:
I'm a fishing junkie. Musky fishing is my favorite, but I also fish for walleye, pike, crappie, trout, salmon, etc. I fish local lakes and the Great Lakes, and I spend about 6 weeks a year in Ontario fishing Lake of the Woods and nearby smaller lakes. I was just up there last month ice fishing. We caught a bunch of crappies, and I landed a 36 inch lake trout, which was a blast! It fought for about 20 minutes before coming up, and almost spooled me about 6 times. I was using a barbless hook which is nerve-wracking and my arms were shaking by the time I got it on the ice. Good times! Now I can't wait for open water!
oh yeah ! musky are really fun to catch ! my uncle steve got a 46 pounder one year ! nasty looking fish !     :onfire:

robbyjoe01 said:
I remember fishing with my son. Sadly he found out about girls and the fishing trips became few and far in between. He's married with two of his own now.
Makes me think of my own their grown and moved away. Oh no now cats in the cradle is playing in my head.

Went to the Sportshow today and looked at new boats I can't afford.

I did get a new musky net though. :) Wife scooped up a plastic chair for size reference. She is 5'5".

She loves musky fishing...

:lol:

muskymojo said:

I did get a new musky net though. :) Wife scooped up a plastic chair for size reference. She is 5'5".

That had to hurt.  The net and the garden above look nice.  Used to go about an hour north of you to Horseshoe chain of lakes every year with my uncle when I was younger.  Caught quite a few pike, walleye and crappie, but at least back then don't think they had any musky in there.

muskymojo said:

ouch. that looks pretty nasty. looks like a hospital trip to me... yes or no?

One time I scraped my leg against a rough wood railing in the keys and got a bunch of splinters. was not fun...

keybrdkid said:
ouch. that looks pretty nasty. looks like a hospital trip to me... yes or no?
She was trying to release a fish and it freaked out and got her. Right before it happened I jinxed her and said to be careful not to get hooked. Literally one second later the fish freaked out and she yelled "I'm hooked! I'm totally hooked!" Luckily the fish got unhooked just as she got hooked, otherwise it could have been worse. She was really tough about it until I tried to push it through, and then she almost fainted. So yeah, we ended up at the ER in Kenora Ontario (about an hour drive from where we were fishing. If you ever need medical attention, hopefully the hospital in Kenora isn't your only option. It was like walking into a hospital in 1984. For real. There was nothing even remotely modern in the place. They ended up making a tiny cut and pushing the barb through, then cut off the barb with a rusty pair of bolt cutters from the janitor closet. They even charged extra for a shot due to the rusty bolt cutters. Lol.

She really does love fishing though, even after that. :cool:

muskymojo said:

I use the bolt cutters when they are still hooked,don't even mess around.

Pr0digal_son said:
I use the bolt cutters when they are still hooked,don't even mess around.
I do too on muskies and big pike. This was a little snot rocket pike that we were catching a lot of that day. For those I usually grab the hook with a long needle nose and just shake the fish off. That is what she was attempting to do for the first (and last) time. I still do it all the time, but I do have cat-like reflexes.... :lol:

Back