• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

That's why I only use barbless hooks - and if they don't make em barbless then I squash the barb down.  Never lost a fish and taking hooks out of anything is easy and painless.  I also re[place all trebles with a single jig assist hook - less damage to fish and landing nets.

Booma - nice smoothhounds - you guys call them gummies I think?  I love catching those from the shore - my biggest is just under 30kg's - took me close to an hour to land and I felt it the next day!

RobStar said:
That's why I only use barbless hooks - and if they don't make em barbless then I squash the barb down.  Never lost a fish and taking hooks out of anything is easy and painless.  I also re[place all trebles with a single jig assist hook - less damage to fish and landing nets.

I also use barbless hooks sometimes. and like yourself, I squash them down with a pair of pliers. Lately I have been using barbed hooks for no particular reason.

muskymojo said:
I'm a fishing junkie. Musky fishing is my favorite, but I also fish for walleye, pike, crappie, trout, salmon, etc. I fish local lakes and the Great Lakes, and I spend about 6 weeks a year in Ontario fishing Lake of the Woods and nearby smaller lakes. I was just up there last month ice fishing. We caught a bunch of crappies, and I landed a 36 inch lake trout, which was a blast! It fought for about 20 minutes before coming up, and almost spooled me about 6 times. I was using a barbless hook which is nerve-wracking and my arms were shaking by the time I got it on the ice. Good times! Now I can't wait for open water!
Muskymojo, i love the muskellunge! Never landed one... my daddy declared that i was gonna hook one before i was10 years old... it was a day or two before that date, that tiger-striped beasty spat the hook and tail-walked past the length of the boat just to prove what a smart-ass it was...i'd swear that fish was desigened by the same jerk that created the Velociraptors in the "Jurassic Park " movie... there's something about the dagger-teeth, that cold measuring look, the smart fish-stunt that you DID not expect,... and the fact that this is a game fish that grows out to better than a meter in length... well, it's a helluva fish...

...I've snacked on smoked salmon, jokingly referred to it as 'the other red meat', even pulled in a West Coast salmon, since i moved to Vancouver Island, but i've never forgotten that failure to land a beautiful beast... sweetest loss i ever suffered, and i say that as an awkward fellow at a high-school dance or three.

Condolescences for the missus, and that hook-driven-hard-into-finger thing... i remember bailing out of a boat after a novice 'landed' a Northern Pike -- right in an open tackle-box... i handed my cigarettes and lighter to a surprised fellow. He was also a smoker, and a little less miffed when i offered him a smoke... he was the only guy in the boat that got the message -- that stayed on board. Everyone else, according to Charles Darwin's measuring tape, took their time, but also bailed. Not this guy's fault on any IQ scale... he was closest to the outboard motor... and i dived right after handing that to him.... if you have a cigarette to smoke after a stunt like that, you're a winner in any fishing tale i've told... i'll shamelessly admit to cowardice... hoo-boy!

Here's a nice Brown I jigged up a few weeks back
browntrout_zps8hjcosza.jpg

They used to be prolific in False Bay (famous for it's breaching Great white sharks).  But now they are an occasional catch - unfortunately two commercial concessions were granted for them - they are exported to Holland for fish 'n chips.  I have been told that smoothhounds make the best "fish" and chips.

At 30kg you are looking at fish that was just under 1.85m total length - and it was 2kg short of our National record!  I had a real tough time with it - it was hooked outside the mouth close to the gill slits.  I use a two hook rig where the second smaller hook is thread onto the snood and fixed in place with a short piece of tubing - it is hooked into the rear of the bait in case a fish grabs that end.  Well it grabbed the thick end where the Mustad Hoodlum was but unfortunately the smaller Penn Suicide hook got the hook up just below the gill slits.  At first I thought I had a skate or a ray on because I could not turn it easily and it was kiting.  Only when I eventually landed it could I see why.  But I was damn chuffed.  My biggest by far and I hurt like hell the next day - lower back cramped!

Nothing fancy around here... I don't eat fish so I enjoy a good fight. That being said it was 70 today and i was bored so I grabbed the poles and a can of corn and hit the river behind my dads house. Was pretty windy and the carp where barely bumping but I at least felt a few of the bites. Pictures do their sizes no justice. Battery in my digital scale was dead but i'd put both over 10lbs easy. First one every bit of 12. Fat fckr. 

Hard to tell in pics but this was actually the largest of the two. Put up a good fight. Sorry I was by myself and couldn't one hand these for a selfie. 

Realized first pic didn't give a good size reference so I stuck my size 10 shoe into photo for reference.

D3monic said:
Nothing fancy around here... I don't eat fish so I enjoy a good fight. That being said it was 70 today and i was bored so I grabbed the poles and a can of corn and hit the river behind my dads house. Was

can of corn? do tell...  And we need to convert you to fish.

I've seen carp before in person, but I was only feeding them fish food at the time (they were sizeable.)

keybrdkid said:
can of corn? do tell...  And we need to convert you to fish.

I've seen carp before in person, but I was only feeding them fish food at the time (they were sizeable.)

Carp love corn and sweet stuff. Even though they are large they are careful eaters and will lightly bump a line. Sometimes picking up and dropping a hook several times before taking the bait. Gotta use small hooks , Mine only held  3 corn kernals. Had a tiny weight. They put up a really good fight.  

It's a shallow limestone bed river. 1-4' deep decent flow. Large and small mouth bass, carp, redhorse, supposedly pike but never seen one in it, channel cats, bullhead all the little fishies like blue gill, rock bass, crappie ect. 

He used to have a reverse eddy right there that would bring the cats in to feed but a neighbor a few doors down built a stone pier and screwed up the flow. 

D3monic said:
Nothing fancy around here... I don't eat fish so I enjoy a good fight. That being said it was 70 today and i was bored so I grabbed the poles and a can of corn and hit the river behind my dads house. Was pretty windy and the carp where barely bumping but I at least felt a few of the bites. Pictures do their sizes no justice. Battery in my digital scale was dead but i'd put both over 10lbs easy. First one every bit of 12. Fat fckr. 
Carp are fun, corn is great used to fish for them all the time with the kids a few years back.  I forgot all about this one me and my son caught 3 years ago.  He was too little to hold it at the time.  Its a grass carp about 3.5 - 4ft probably in the 40lb range.  Son did all the reeling on this one, but wasn't ready to hold it, he was only 9 at the time.  

GP2012.04.14-16.02.18-460497841-2388276_zps7etivm87.jpg

Got me a dozen nice crappie today at one of my early holes.  I will pound them the next few weeks to stock up the freezer.  Once it warms up they are too mushy.  I can usually take a dozen out of here in an hour and it's done.  Come back in a couple days and more have moved in.     There is an old beaver hut behind me.  They love the sticks.

God damn it took me forever to find this thread again.

caught a nice smallie on corn of all things tonight after work. . Was fishing for carp on that pole. Thought for sure I had hooked one until it jumped .She had quite a few old hood scars , pretty sure she's the same smallie that always beds right by my dads stone pier 

Small carp from a few days ago

I enjoy carp fishing from time to time.  Good fun.  Biggest is 15kg.  Wasn't a joke to land - I had hippos trying to exit and was trying to land the thing on the sand bar they were wanting to use to get to land.  They weren't 15m from me.  I hate hippos!  As much as crocs and sharks!  Actually I hate crocs the most.  Walking handbags.

I like tackling carp on light gear - great fight.  I make a big bucket of groundbait - I use laying mash pellets (for chickens or turkeys!) and add hot water to level with the pellets.  Leave for a day and it will be nice and fluffy but easily moulded into balls - I throw in balls about the size of a baseball - all in a 5-10m radius.  After an hour or so the place is boiling with carp.  After a while the bigger fish have moved in and chase the small fish off.

The key to nailing carp is to allow them to hook themselves.  Easily achieved with an ounce lead and a short hook snood - max 15cm but preferably 10cm.  Short shank hooks, long curved point, either kirbed (bent to right) or reversed (bent to left) with an out bent eye are best.  Leave point very proud (exposed)  When a carp picks up the bait and elevates itself to spit it out the combined hook features along with the short snood immediately lodge.  Be prepared for a lightning run!

Also a really good bait when they feeding near submerged weedbeds or in silty patches is the red wriggler (stinky compost worm)  rig them through the body so that they look like a giant midge larvae (those little J-shaped translucent blood worms that you find in black silt).  Go one step furthetr and dip the hookbait in red food colouring.  It shrinks it a bit (dehydrates it somewhat) and it looks like a super midge larvae.  The bigger fish especially are keen on this.

muskymojo said:
Went to the Sportshow today and looked at new boats I can't afford.

I did get a new musky net though. :) Wife scooped up a plastic chair for size reference. She is 5'5".

She loves musky fishing...

:lol:
ouch ! makes me remember when i put a hook in my sisters head when we were in the boat up at my uncles cabin in Rhinelander ,Wi. big ol' muskie lure . had to take her to emergency room ,shaved half her head . still holds it against me 35 yrs. later ! lol

hogleg said:
  :dance: Going Halibut and Striper fishing tomorrow and I'm so keyed up I can't get to sleep dammit. Spose to be up in about 4 hours   :crazy:
just grab the lantern and hit the dock till time to go . been there before up north tho !  

Yellowfin2na said:
Ohhhhh I didnt even know this thread existed.

Here are just a few of fish pics over the course of my life

Please excuse my fatness in the first one

This was just a few months ago

Oh and I have a state record in Florida
col shit bro ! 

Back