• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Nice! What did he eat?
Got her on a smelt that I jigged up.  When the flag went up she took out a ton of line, when it stopped for a minute or so I started to pull in and there wasn't anything on the line. I got the bait about 6 inches up the hole and she hit it again like a ton of bricks. Peeled out another ton of line and finally was hooked. Quick picture and she went back down the hole to swim another day. Cheers 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     So you hooked her by jigging your tip up line in the hole? That's f**king awesome! I would have shit my bibs.
I jigged up the smelts earlier in the season and keep them alive in a big stock tank. I was pulling the line back in and she followed it back and up into the hole. But yeah watching her come right up into the hole and nail the bait again was really awesome.

FreeportBum said:
I jigged up the smelts earlier in the season and keep them alive in a big stock tank. I was pulling the line back in and she followed it back and up into the hole. But yeah watching her come right up into the hole and nail the bait again was really awesome.

It reminds me of the figure-8 move for muskie fishing. Those fuckers will follow a bait forever and then just attack it at the last second right beside the boat.

First fish of the year—Florida Largemouth Bass:

5PUPkE1.jpg

Beautiful water and fish.

I would traumatize little fish all day with a tenkara rod on that water.

And eat them.

texas blues said:
Beautiful water and fish.

I would traumatize little fish all day with a tenkara rod on that water.

And eat them.

A tenkara would be the way to go on that stream with how it was flowing. When it's dribbling it is next to impossible. I hike across a ridge 100' above the stream and see fish scatter. There is a big brown that's probably 16" that I have been playing chess with for over 2 years.  Definitely the boss of this run and is in some prime real estate. Big waterfall into a larger pool with a deep undercut all along the bank. When the water is high you can't get anything down and when it's low you can't get anywhere near him. Thinking about trying some mouse patterns at night when it warms up. I may retire if I get to shake hands with this one.

I heard that brookies are tasty,they kinda look tasty. I've had Arctic Char and enjoyed it,but it was borderline "trouty" to me. Sticking to grouper and sea bass for now.

The upstate New York lakes finally thawed and I got to go fishing.  

I had to throw this back as Pickerel season doesn't start until May 5th: - Pickerel LOVE shiny spinnebaits!.  I landed the fish my first time throwing this lure:

YKPYAuw.jpg

The Pumpkinseed Sunfish and Bluegill aren't biting at all and nobody has seen any, but my favorite lake has tons of Yellow Perch.  The fish on the far right is a Golden Shiner.  I didn't know the lake had any:

yuHrw6y.jpg

I saw a lot of Flathead Catfish, but they were literally swimming away from my worms that I dropped directly in their path.  The locals tell me that these feed at night and I usually retire from fishing before dinner, so I probably wont land any.

texas blues said:
One more time.

Whereda' shore lunch at?

Fried pike is most excellente'!

Pike also have special smell to them.

Fresh.

But differnt'.

The meat is outstanding!

Then again.

They eat mice.

And baby ducks.

A lot of people scoff at pike, but I think they're great to eat.

I hear the y-bones suck if you're not a ninja with a fillet knife.

Luckily, I got my black belt in filleting fish when I was too young to even remember.

Seriously though, it's not hard to get boneless pike fillets with a little practice. (it's also very easy to cut through the bones, and then it's pretty much hopeless)

Back