• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2009 Season Grow Log

01-22-09 AM

Tray 1 - 12 Days - 44/68

Tray 2 - 10 days - 51/72

yup...may be a waste of space, but I just recycle the seed starting mix if nothing comes up in that cell...I don't want to have to mess with tangled roots when I transplant....

If you did plant two seeds per square and they both come up do you have to separate them? What would the consequences be if you didn't?

AJ I really like the way you do things, nothing half-assed at all. True inspiration. Thanks.

patrick said:
If you did plant two seeds per square and they both come up do you have to separate them? What would the consequences be if you didn't?

Thank you for asking - I've been meaning to ask the same thing. Most people including myself only have one plant per pot, but would it be a huge difference with two. Each plant basically have the same space as if they where alone in the pot as the roots really don't take up that muck space, and we (most of us) add nutrients with the water and don't rely on the limited amout that is already in the soil.

I do have one pot with 5 mystery supermarket C. annuums, but that is for a bonzai thing I am planning on so I kind of hope thay will be stunted.

I don't like disturbing the root ball once the seedling is established...does it do harm? I don't know, but I had rather not do anything that might distrub the root ball...

look at it like this...I plant one seed per cell and have on the average about 80 % germination for all seeds...if I planted 2 or more per cell, the number of cells with plants in them would go up according to the probilities, but then 80% of the cells (~58 out of 72) would have multiple seedlings in the same cell...I grow in my starter cells long enough to see roots coming out of the bottom of the cells...by that time, I would have a lot of untangling to do and invariably, when you untangle roots, you are going to break them...so I just plant one seed per cell and when I transplant, I have a good solid rootball with some seed starting mix around it that goes into the standard potting mix...

strong roots = strong healthy plants

I meant what would be the result if you keep them in the same pot as "adults", never disturbing/untangling the roots. I could see some advantages, they could for example help support eachother maybe making extra poles that might poke you eye out (hi Neil!) obsolete. Would two plants in one (slightly larger) pot produce less than two plants in two pots?

Another advantage would be space. I don't have a lot of it before I can put the plants outside for 24/7 in june.

MrArboc said:
Would two plants in one (slightly larger) pot produce less than two plants in two pots?

Another advantage would be space. I don't have a lot of it before I can put the plants outside for 24/7 in june.

I would think there would be a much lower production otherwise chili growers (commercial ones) would be planting them six inches from each other. Now if you were growing in a hydro system where the roots are not fighting for room, or more so limited nutrients, it might be more viable.

Mike

I can't comment on more than one plant per pot since I have never done it...but I have to believe the competition for nutrients Mike mentioned would be true...

MrArboc said:
I meant what would be the result if you keep them in the same pot as "adults", never disturbing/untangling the roots. I could see some advantages, they could for example help support eachother maybe making extra poles that might poke you eye out (hi Neil!) obsolete. Would two plants in one (slightly larger) pot produce less than two plants in two pots?

I've seen arguments both ways, and I admit to being pretty "eh" about it. I have planted more than one seed of small pepper plants in a 16 oz cup when I plan to plant them all in one container. I don't think I would try it with varieties that produce large plants, though. It seems to me both plants would be shaded on one side by the other plant, and not produce as many pods there.

01-23-09 PM

Tray 1 - 13 Days - 46/68

Tray 2 - 11 days - 57/72

Tray1-201-23-09.jpg

THey look so happy AJ. Congrats!! I don't leave my seedlngs in there like you do. As soon as they pop through the soil, I move them to 3.5" or 2.25" pots. However, I use the dome method so I have no choice. I'd prefer your method if I had the room and resources.

Chris

I couldn't stand it any longer and just started my first 2 trays of seed. Tray #1 has 7 Pod Orange/Red, T. Douglah, TS Morouga, Yellow Scorpion, T. Scorpion, Trinidad Congo, Bih Jolokia, and Bhut Jolokia. Tray #2 has Yellow Hab, Chocolate Hab, Mustard Hab, Cappacino Hab, Carribean Red Hab, Golden Hab, Red Dominican Hab, Condor's Beak Hab, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, and Big Sun Scotch Bonnet. AJ all your trays looks great! It is so exciting planting seed and planning the garden for 2009.

thanks all..

agree with the excitement of planting for 2009....I just hope I remember all the things I did wrong last year and don't do that this year...

good assortment Cappy...it IS going to be a hot fall in 2009....

AlabamaJack said:
thanks all..

agree with the excitement of planting for 2009....I just hope I remember all the things I did wrong last year and don't do that this year...

good assortment Cappy...it IS going to be a hot fall in 2009....

What you did 2008 was wrong? :shocked: So I assume that if you do it right 2009 you will be able to conquer China with your peppers!

lol @ armadillo...might need a bigger chili... :lol:

the biggest thing I did wrong last spring/early summer was over water and I lost around 50 plants to root rot...that's the biggest thing...

One of the biggest changes I plan to do this year (vs. last year) is to bury the containers in the ground. That should decrease the need for watering so frequently. Secondly, my superhots didn't really start growing until nearly July - by overwintering them I hope they start producing pods in July rather than late September.

Mike

burying the containers is something I will do to a lot of plants but I think I am going to try to plant inground for the first time in the new bed....haven't made up my mind yet...

Back