• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2009 Season Grow Log

01-24-09 AM

Tray 1 - 14 Days - 51/68

Tray 2 - 12 days - 59/72

only 2 more sprouts to go and I will be at 80% germination for Trays 1 & 2

Trays 3 & 4 have not sprouted anything yet...

Tray 5 will be planted later today while I am smoking ribs and stuffed japs

Trays 1 & 2 used Hoffmans seed starting mix

Trays 3 & 4 used Jiffy seed starting mix

Tray 5 will be using:

012209a001.jpg

012209a003.jpg

012209a004.jpg

anybody used the Fox Farm Seed Starter before?

Question...if I use my standard watering solution which contains 1 Tbsp per gallon of peroxice, will it kill the Mycorrhizae and Bacillus Bacteria in the soil?

Good germination rate seedling look very good, the way you have set-up they will all pop-out it is just of matter time.

AlabamaJack said:
01-24-09 AM
anybody used the Fox Farm Seed Starter before?

The guy I got my Happy Frog from suggested it instead of the Light Warrior. *glances out window* When it stops raining, I'll get the info off the bag and we can compare notes.

Question...if I use my standard watering solution which contains 1 Tbsp per gallon of peroxice, will it kill the Mycorrhizae and Bacillus Bacteria in the soil?

If it doesn't kill them all, if will probably give them a serious thrashing. I don't do the peroxide thing unless I have concerns about specific plants or seed cells, and I don't see the kinds of molds and fungi you guys insist you see. You might wish to consider that you're killing off beneficials along with everything else, and the growth you see is from opportunistic organisms that would have other wise been controlled by their beneficial counterparts.

Thanks 915...they are just growing along...

Pam said:
The guy I got my Happy Frog from suggested it instead of the Light Warrior. *glances out window* When it stops raining, I'll get the info off the bag and we can compare notes.

Great Pam...I wish it would rain here...

Pam said:
If it doesn't kill them all, if will probably give them a serious thrashing. I don't do the peroxide thing unless I have concerns about specific plants or seed cells, and I don't see the kinds of molds and fungi you guys insist you see. You might wish to consider that you're killing off beneficials along with everything else, and the growth you see is from opportunistic organisms that would have other wise been controlled by their beneficial counterparts.

I was using the peroxide as a preventive measure but think I will omit the peroxide for the new mix....

I am using Pro-mix for seed starting mix and have to say I have found no difference. Already have a half bale left from last year so it was an easy choice. What is the difference between seed starting mix anyway? I get some mold but never been to worried about it because it just get covered up when I move to cups. My germination rate is high enough not to buy seed starting mix. I only use seaweed and fish fert when they are inside, never used peroxide except in hydro. Pam I called Hyams here in Charleston yesterday and they have Pro-mix bales. What time is dinner being served AJ?

Dinners at 5-6 PM Cappy....head on this way if you want...and bring the Missus too.... :lol:

the seed starting mix is much lighter weight than the standard potting mix I use...just seems right to give the root a light mixture to grow in...may be overkill...I don't know...

the only reason I am using three different kinds is they don't have the hoffmans in stock yet and it is the cleanest, lightest weight seed starting mix I have found...

I saw this foxfarm stuff at the local hydro store and bought a bag...right off, I see I don't like the size and quantity of pearlite used...you can't work it with your hands because the other components of the soil sink and the pearlite comes to the top...is NOT a homogenous mixture where the hoffmans is...the jiffy...lighter than the foxfarm but more sticks than the hoffmans...this is of course my opinion..

AlabamaJack said:
Not only will H2O2 harm or kill beneficial microbes, it can often break down chemical bonds within your nutrients making them unusable. I personally wouldn't use it unless you see a real problem or for pre-treating water, and cleaning/sterilizing.

MrArboc said:
I meant what would be the result if you keep them in the same pot as "adults", never disturbing/untangling the roots. I could see some advantages, they could for example help support eachother maybe making extra poles that might poke you eye out (hi Neil!) obsolete. Would two plants in one (slightly larger) pot produce less than two plants in two pots?

Another advantage would be space. I don't have a lot of it before I can put the plants outside for 24/7 in june.

I grew 3 plants in each large pot this year and they seemed to like it. First year doing this, i had seen my friend's dad do it before and he always got pretty good results. I did it simply because I only had room for a few large pots and figured it would be easier than growing in a bunch of small pots.

I wouldn't start two plants in the same plug though, because the plants would only be millimeters away from each other. My plants were probably 8" or so apart. Grew two pots with a tabasco, jalapeno & red hot chile all in each pot.

This year i'm going with 1 plant per pot since i'm going to be using coco in relatively small pots.

01-25-09 AM

Tray 1 - 15 Days - 52/68

Tray 2 - 13 days - 62/72

I have reached 80% overall germination which was my goal...may have set the goal too low this year but it ain't over yet...

picture of Dorset Naga putting on its second set of true leaves...

012509a001-1.jpg

no sprouts from trays 3 and 4 yet...gonna plant tray 5 this morning....

AlabamaJack said:
no sir, had a problem with mildew/mold last year and swore not to use them again....but you have to remember, I don't need them because of my germination setup...

AJ, I have not had a problem with either one that you mention but have seriously been considering not using my dome anymore due to the buildup of condensation on it then it drips down the sides into cells around the edges making them soggy.You say you do not need them because the way your germination setup is, please explain. Don't you have to water them (or mist) quit a bit. I have tried putting them under a fluorescent light for germinating but it seems to suck the moisture out real fast whereas my bottom heat does'nt.

I do mine like Chris, once the hook straightens out I then put it into a 72 cell tray and then from there into a 4" pot. It's alot of work doing all that potting up especially with 500 plants but I like to plant them deep after a couple of weeks in the 72's.

Dale

mornin' Dale...

thepodpiper said:
You say you do not need them because the way your germination setup is, please explain. Don't you have to water them (or mist) quit a bit.

My seed germinator is a closed environment (goal is 86F/65% humidity). I keep a couple of containers of water in there with a fan blowing on them. This increases the humidity level in the germinator to about 70%. The top of the seed starting mix gets misted once a day and the whole tray gets water about every 4-5 days...

thepodpiper said:
I like to plant them deep after a couple of weeks in the 72's.

thats about how long it takes my seedlings to start showing roots out of the bottom of the cells...maybe 3 weeks after sprouting...

*****EDIT******

Here is a list of what I have planted so far this year...note about the yellow 7s...I let my seed mold for these and am trying to see if they will germinate or not...for those that wanted them...sorry, for those that got pods, I hope you kept the seeds...

SeedsStartedasof01-25-09.jpg

18 Days From Seed

Here is a pic of some Bhut Jolokia (top Row) and some Nagas...

Nagas012809.jpg

close up of a Dorset Naga....

Dorset012809.jpg

and the heart of grwoth for the Dorset...

DorsetHeartofGrowth012809.jpg

They seem to be doing good for 18 days from seed...and germinated good too 17/18.

also, i have a couple of leaves that are yellow, how does that happen ?

and what can i do to help prevent it.. thanks

thanks

2 to 1 red light to blue light and a fan for 30 minutes twice a day...

I can not say what is causing the yellowing but what I am doing is my seedlings get a shot of food everytime I water...I use botanicare ProGro and follow the prescribed regimen plus I use superthrive...vitamin supplement to let the plants take up needed nutrients easier...

that will be next season...

i just went with hps this year...

looking forward to the LED experience...lol

they look great man !

wish my plants looked that good.

Hotpeppa said:
that will be next season...

i just went with hps this year...

looking forward to the LED experience...lol

they look great man !

wish my plants looked that good.

I am wrong...they are under about a 1 to 1 of red and blue...but what I said was misleading I think peppa....

they are under 2700K CFLs (what I call red)

and 6500K T-12 40 Watt fluros (what I call blue)

AlabamaJack said:
I am wrong...they are under about a 1 to 1 of red and blue...but what I said was misleading I think peppa....

they are under 2700K CFLs (what I call red)

and 6500K T-12 40 Watt fluros (what I call blue)

ohhh i see...

hmmmm i wonder what the spectrum is on the bulb i am using...

how close do you have your lights to your plants ?

do you have a photo of that ?

thanks AJ;)

not too much detail but it shows my growrage...

010109Growrage.jpg

Back