• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AJs 2012 Season - A Pictorial Discussion

I am getting a one day jump on last season...today is my 2012 season start...

The Germinator has been cleaned, I am using new trays for seed starting and Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix as my grow media...

If any of you decide to use Hoffman's Seed Starting Mix, be patient, it takes as much as 24 hours pre-soak to get this light weight mix totally wet...I have said it before and I will say it again...this is the cleanest seed starting mix I have ever used....clean and light weight means better root growth IMO..

12-30-11A001.jpg

All circuits and systems are a go on the germinator...am stabilizing the temperature for the next 24 hours...as you can see, the upper box is about 93F and the lower box is 85F...I have to vent the top to let both chambers reach the same temperature...

12-30-11A002.jpg

12-30-11A004.jpg
12-30-11A005.jpg

something tells me this is going to be another hot summer....close to record heat again...so the season will go as mother wants it to...I am learning each year how to change my grow techniques and am adapting to North Texas...

hope you folks enjoy this thread...if anyone has any questions or comments, they are welcome...

its getting THAT time huh AJ!

yes sir, and I am ready...

Nice pod Ronnie! I don't know if I would have had the discipline to wait until the first one was that ripe! Great stuff...1st one of many.

I had to slap my hand a couple of times to keep from picking it...

Thanks for the information, AJ! I first learned to play when I was a teenager too, and used to read tablature, but then got busy with college, career, having kids, etc. and didn't play for over 20 years. The past few years, I've been playing with the praise team at church, but I only do rhythm, not lead guitar, so I know chord progression, but not scales. The fact that you didn't start playing the mandolin till you were 52 gives me hope though ...

YW

> [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]yes sir...probably gonna use it tonight in Pad Krapow[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]AJ - do you use krapow (holy basil, Ocimum sanctum) or something else?[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Nice looking plants, by the way. They are awesome![/background]

just regular ol' basil

Love the F-35 coin AJ.

If you liked that one how 'bout these...you know I spent about 14 years on the F-35 project...brought her from a drawing on a piece of paper into reality...I first was on the project in 93'...

04-19-12b002.jpg

and a close up of my favorite...

04-19-12c002.jpg

After spending about 2 hrs catching up on your glog. I am at awe. Wow. So detailed. So
Refined. Too bad you're not in Cali. I purchased that vigoro 10-10-10 and will be trying it out. My question is. How much mixture(h20 and vigoro) per plant. At what stage do you fert them with it.
This is my 1st year growing peppers this year so I have so much to learn. This is my purple bhut in an 8" container. How much water should I give it a feed?
IMG_2843.jpg
. Btw. I got this plant from Melissa77754. When should I let it bud and flower up...? Thanks for any suggestions.

answers in blue

After spending about 2 hrs catching up on your glog. I am at awe. Wow. So detailed. So Refined.

gigglin' here...I think that is the first time anyone has ever said I was refined... :rofl:

Too bad you're not in Cali.

Been there, done that, got the the T-shirt, it got a hole in it and I threw it away...not a big fan of California...some people love it...just not this one...

I purchased that vigoro 10-10-10 and will be trying it out. My question is. How much mixture(h20 and vigoro) per plant.

Just follow the instructions on the bottle...and I feed at least every 3 weeks...

At what stage do you fert them with it.

I start feeding early on...actually right after germination using 1/2 strength...a lot of people don't...

This is my 1st year growing peppers this year so I have so much to learn. This is my purple bhut in an 8" container. How much water should I give it a feed? . Btw. I got this plant from Melissa77754. When should I let it bud and flower up...? Thanks for any suggestions.

We all have to start somewhere...water it until water flows out the bottom of the container...then pick up the container and feel how heavy it feels...then you can just lift the plant and water accordingly when it is dry...your soil can be dry on top...down to two inches and be mud in the bottom of the container so make sure you don't water too often...I usually water when the plants sag a bit...

Those are very impressive Ronnie and it's easy to understand why that one is your favorite. For anyone who is interested they don't give those away to just anybody.

Even without the longer tail, that's a mean looking pepper. Awesome work, I've enjoyed reading along with your work and have been learning along the way. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm trying to imagine how that little piece of placenta bit back. I'm excited to try my first scorpion sometime this year.

First Post, so please forgive me if this was asked already. Have you ever tried companion plantings to see if it yields better results?

Very impressive glog, sir. Looking forward to more learnin' from you.

Sir, you are a pepper God and make me feel both inspired and ashamed at the same time. Btw, details on your incubator? I'd love to build something similar.

Very nice AJ. Those Purples are lookin great....yes the color will depart once they are gettin some "big sun". My overwinters are podding up ,and even showing some light variegation initially-these are some vigorous plants when they get established! I gave my other overwintered purple to son in law, so I only have "one" to comment on until the little guys catch up.

I missed the corolla comment assuming the thought is that it helps make tails when they stay on like that, I could be wrong ,but I leave'em be, and thats my 2 cents on that . The root ball comments make a lot of sense, when I go staight to a huge pot the plants seems to stall out for a while before they take off, I think it also has to do with avail moisture...water obeys gravity and the VERY porous mixes we tend to pot in doesn't "hold" water well-so the water /moisture is only avail for a short window, and once the roots develop some legs, the plant decides it has enough sustructure to get growin up and out again-once again that could be "misinterpretational observation at work" and that may have nada to do with it!

A pleasure as always to stop by your log, I wish I had the patience for all the back and forthing with photobucket- usually its a bandwidth issue for me as I post more often then not from a ship somewhere...at home I am so busy playing catch up I tend not post much, I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the tour....
DJ

OH, Impressive stuff on the F-35 , you are a lucky man indeed to have had such an oppurtunity(so also probably a pretty fine engineer!), I just would love to SEE one the dang things up close. Pictures do no justice to fine aircraft.

Those are very impressive Ronnie and it's easy to understand why that one is your favorite. For anyone who is interested they don't give those away to just anybody.

thanks Patrick...those are reminders and little tokens of the past programs I have worked...do you remember the A-12 project?...that's why I originally came to Fort Worth...at the time, they were pushing 28 F-16s off the line a month...almost one a day...it's amazing to see a factory with >6,000 workers building airplanes...

Even without the longer tail, that's a mean looking pepper. Awesome work, I've enjoyed reading along with your work and have been learning along the way. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm trying to imagine how that little piece of placenta bit back. I'm excited to try my first scorpion sometime this year.

thanks pulpiteer, I have some coming off now with really nice tails...seems some of them have been pepper maggotized....

First Post, so please forgive me if this was asked already. Have you ever tried companion plantings to see if it yields better results?

Very impressive glog, sir. Looking forward to more learnin' from you.

I'm no sir, I was a working man :) , HM2 69-73 (8400/8404/8484)....by companion planting, are you talking about planting non-pepper plants that have benefits with the pepper plants? If so, I don't do it on purpose...I had read that chrysanthemums (I think) draw aphids away from pepper plants, but IMO, I don't want anything in the garden that "draws" aphids...I am fighting thrips this year...and have been fighting them for 2 months...

Sir, you are a pepper God and make me feel both inspired and ashamed at the same time. Btw, details on your incubator? I'd love to build something similar.

read the sir quote above...Ronnie or AJ is good here...never feel ashamed of your passion and peppers have become my passion over the past few years...for the details on the "Germinator"...here is a link that will show you how new I was to starting from seed in 2007...

http://thehotpepper....+aj +germinator

Very nice AJ. Those Purples are lookin great....yes the color will depart once they are gettin some "big sun". My overwinters are podding up ,and even showing some light variegation initially-these are some vigorous plants when they get established! I gave my other overwintered purple to son in law, so I only have "one" to comment on until the little guys catch up.

I missed the corolla comment assuming the thought is that it helps make tails when they stay on like that, I could be wrong ,but I leave'em be, and thats my 2 cents on that . The root ball comments make a lot of sense, when I go staight to a huge pot the plants seems to stall out for a while before they take off, I think it also has to do with avail moisture...water obeys gravity and the VERY porous mixes we tend to pot in doesn't "hold" water well-so the water /moisture is only avail for a short window, and once the roots develop some legs, the plant decides it has enough sustructure to get growin up and out again-once again that could be "misinterpretational observation at work" and that may have nada to do with it!

A pleasure as always to stop by your log, I wish I had the patience for all the back and forthing with photobucket- usually its a bandwidth issue for me as I post more often then not from a ship somewhere...at home I am so busy playing catch up I tend not post much, I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the tour....
DJ

OH, Impressive stuff on the F-35 , you are a lucky man indeed to have had such an oppurtunity(so also probably a pretty fine engineer!), I just would love to SEE one the dang things up close. Pictures do no justice to fine aircraft.

thank's slinger...and I do feel very fortunate to have been on the F-35 team, when I started the project there were only about 300 engineers on it and it grew to about 4500 engineers...that's not counting support staff or manufacturing....I think the largest the program got when I was on it was about 12,000 people...

you are right about pictures doing no justice...I spent at least an hour a day in the mockup and manufacturing areas looking at installations of equipment and the general makeup of the aircraft...was amazing to me to see something that weighs so much come off an idea in someones head...

thanks guru...I am debating moving them or leaving them in the 10s...I pulled up about 10 from last year and the root structure still had plenty of room to grow...I have a couple of 25 gallon horse feed containers that I am debating on using...I am kind of afraid to mess with them right now because they are fruiting...once the hot weather hits (read mid June) and they stop fruiting, I will probably do it then....matter of fact, I just talked myself into mid-June...

A-12 was a bit before my time Ronnie. I did get to spend some operational time with one of it's successors though the U-2 Dragonlady. Doing time in the desert supporting UN missions. You haven't experience insanity until you've chased and caught a landing jet on a runway in a Z28 Camaro.

Watching F-16s go out the door at almost one a day would have been a sight to see.

Ha! Oops. Now I spent a few years at Nellis and seen a few things before most but not that beauty.

They wanted to land that on a carrier? Man those Navy guys have big brass.....

It's been a little while since I have posted any pics...little did I believe I would get ripe scorpions/7 pot/wild waco tepins the first of May....THE FIRST OF MAY....that is unheard of for me...this is the first time ever I have had as many superhots getting ready to ripen or actually be ripe before my horendous summer heat hits...

first tiny little harvest...scorpions and some philliperv 7 pot...the 7s are not the shape I was expecting and are more elongated...haven't tasted them yet but will this weekend...I know my scorpions are going to burn me a new.......

05-04-12b001.jpg

anybody say a quarters worth please...wild waco tepins

05-04-12a006.jpg

If I could only grow one pepper plant full of pods, this would be the plant I would choose...you can see why I kept this plant and it is on it's 3rd year...

05-04-12a005.jpg
05-04-12b003.jpg
05-04-12b019.jpg

these are Yellow 7 pot BB (assuming BB = BillyBoy)

05-04-12b018.jpg
05-04-12b010.jpg

and I was not expecting an elongated pod on this plant..it is a CARDI Yellow Scorpion...

05-04-12b015.jpg

Scorpion row....yellow scorpions on this end and "long tailed" scorpions on the other...

05-04-12b011.jpg

I hope everyone has a great weekend...it is gonna be music, beer, Ronnie's Blue CoolAid, and some Don Julio for this weekend...smoked hog tonight, brisket/chicken/ribs tomorrow...

I will take pics and share when I return Sunday...

Congrats on the early peppers AJ. I have a couple of those TexasTepins going and can't wait. And that Scorpion is to die for...

Back