• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

BABY DOLL!!!! I got your winks and was just messing with you. We've PM'ed privately and a move is probably in my near future. Truthfully, the only reason I'm here: my mother is dying faster than most. That's it! I want to hang around for my mother, help her when I can. Just be with her while she's alive. OTH, a plane can get me here as quickly as a vehicle can get one of my brothers here: honestly, I envy your situation. Yep. Like John Steinbeck writes in East of Eden at beginning of the novel: &ldquo;You can boast about anything if it's all you have. Maybe the less you have, the more you are required to boast.&rdquo; Which is how I view the mentality, climate, of this area. Thus, if I "boast" of it, I do so out of "the less you have" or scarcity. I really love your seaweed experiment, not washing off the salts and keeping the little marine life alive. I'd probably have washed it but you've proved that it's better, at least for you, not to. Me: I have to invest money in Maxicrop kelp! That's emotional honesty. The only great thing I've learned here is patience with people who know no better and don't want to, while criticizing ya for wanting to learn more, and that clay soil can be amended with a lot of hard work. The teachings of my grandmother reside in my heart; it goes where I do, I hope! Mi hermano, envy never means to offend but it always does: I was wrong. Te pido perdon! ;)

Pia, it's very hard work. T-total bitch! Good on ya! Last raised, as in, stick wood frame around it, bed I did, I borrowed my bro's tiller just to rip-up the sod, double digging is really hard and in some soils harder than others. I know, I know, no-till, etc. It's a personal ethic or preference, but when it comes down to walking or not, being able to move, sheeiit, if I'd had a scoop, I'd have used that to do the last raised bed that I stuck a frame around! Tillers aren't evil, just expensive to rent. Just my .02 and am so glad you expanded because you have a gazillion beautiful pepper plants and they gotta have a home!

AND was playing Baez's version of "Gracias a la Vida" BLARING at midnight--slow gentle rains for 18 hours--no flooding as forecast, doubt it compacted raised beds within garden and if will warm up, dry out the "ambient clay" can plant out! :party:

Are you saying that you dug after you tilled???? Please say no!!!!!!. I am digging with that tool that has a pick on one end and a shovel looking thing on the other and its slightly hooked.... hold on let me look it up....OHHHH 5 lb pick Mattock (5 mins later) I am sore from my rooter to my tooter. I still have about 10 more square feet to go. I assume. Could be more. But the upside is my arms are gonna look fkin GREATTTTTTTT!... Ass still needs work. One body part at a time. Planting 100+ plants will handle that ;)

Annie, do you do any maintenance for your back? It's what keeps me going, 5 days a week 3 sets of 40 crunches, two types of stretches that work for me. AND I learned to lift with my knees, limit lifts to 80lb's. They wanted to do surgery 27 years ago and a therapist came into my room and said "I could get fired for telling you this, but you can get over this without surgery." I checked out and am still going..

You know my old injury started aching just reading your post...hah!

Scott, I scare myself sometimes with the home PT combined with my workouts. I have a hanging bar--not the one outside, mentioned above, lol--I do hanging leg raises, hanging knee raises, ball crunches (lower back), stretches, rotations for middle back, and as doc suggested, building (again), upper body for neck, bent rows, upright rows, shrugs, tricep extensions with weights . . . and other workout areas. And lots of yoga, stretches specific to neck injury--tons of stretches--and constructive relaxation after daily run. I don't do the abdominal/back/every day but every day I do the neck stuff during cool down. But regardless, one can overdo it. Also, while I do work out during winter, I'm not, aside from running, ball crunches, stretches, not as consistent with the hanging and lifting exercises during winter: I've been on my "summer" routine for only a month, aka, doing it the way I should, year-round. And because I do lift with legs, only been back on squat/calf weight stuff for this month; I know :rolleyes: I was lifting with my back: the only way to strengthen knees is to strengthen muscles around them . . . another injury in h.s. sports when they just swore I'd have to have surgery but got with some good trainers who debunked that one. I did do the entire workout today, as yesterday proved 1. gotta go slower/take breaks and think and 2. be consistent with this year-round. A month does NOT a year make.

Plants look great! And I know you're loving it!

Take care of yourself, getting older is hard but the alternative bites the big one!

I'm sorry ya got sympathy pains; not my intent at all, and thank you as well, Shane! And yeppers . . . the alternative is really finite and inevitable, so why hasten down that wind?

Man, sun came out and those plants were looking gorgeous by end of day!! Bless their hearts; they just wanted some sun, warmth, and real wind, rather than fans, fake lights, etc. :party:

Are you saying that you dug after you tilled???? Please say no!!!!!!. I am digging with that tool that has a pick on one end and a shovel looking thing on the other and its slightly hooked.... hold on let me look it up....OHHHH 5 lb pick Mattock (5 mins later) I am sore from my rooter to my tooter. I still have about 10 more square feet to go. I assume. Could be more. But the upside is my arms are gonna look fkin GREATTTTTTTT!... Ass still needs work. One body part at a time. Planting 100+ plants will handle that ;)

Oh, pick-axe . . . uh, yeah, saying that. But didn't dig out rbeds within garden with one--have two and both are the OLE TIMEY heavy, heavy mofos; just two different hoes, and shovels. Am stealing "rooter to tooter"!!! Now, the garden dig-out was excellent for arms: anything ya do with legs works ass. I got slack over winter with abs/lower back: we should do new garden-pepper work-out t.v. show! Jamie Lee and Jane could just sit the f* down! "After this commercial break, we'll taste the Butch T. Douglah Cross." Dayum . . . I see reality t.v. nobody'd believe (nor could resist)! I liked that quote about rats in Bronx basement restaurant! :rofl: With my "native," rather than acquired, "academic" accent, . . . ye-ah buddy! :party:

Let not talk about backs now, i got a steroid injection today for mine. Over the back already.
:)

GA, ow! Am sorry . . . only had one cortisone injection in knee ages ago: h.s. Redness, no big deal but the sheer anxiety produced by the stuff made me want to kill small furry animals: ALL of them. Later, I found out just how intolerant my body-brain chem is to any cortisone-class . . . had ear infection in college, Prednisone . . . not good idea. If you can handle the side-effects, still, sorry you had to undergo . . .

I dig the black kow. Great stuff! A wee bit of sand in it too!
I like to mix in and around each hole as i plant.
Great stuff, so you definitely scored!

And for <$3 including tax for 50 lb. bag? That little hardware/feed store made me think I was in some consumer time-warp! Yep: it does have sand, which is good in clay soil: I love to amend planting holes with it and my own compost. But then "recipe" for my planting holes, in-ground is pretty outrageous, but works! Toss in some perlite--clay-base holds water at roots a tad much--powdered milk, epsom salts, phosphorous guano, aspirin, book of matches, bone, kelp, little blood meal, Osmo and like to make a few gallons AACTea w/vermicompost/molasses/kelp, and dilute to water in/over. Spraying hole with Actinovate and Biotamax mix this year, as well, hoping the bene fungi/bacteria eat some of the bad ones. If I get really inspired (or insane--fine line), will lug 5 gal buckets of pond water as well; post-spawn, good stuff! If weather'll stay settled crappie will move shallow in local lake, take boat out; feed the guts etc. to Chester, my beloved black snake, pour that water on garden plants AND heat up peanut oil for crappie nuggets! :drooling: Am really sorry about your back; hope it feels lots better! ;)

I'm not sure why I keep readying about people carrying 5 gallon buckets of water from ponds (saw it in
sicman&rsquo;s glog here) &hellip; Save your back, for less than $10 bucks you can get a drill powered water pump that connects to regular garden hose o_O I&rsquo;ve seen them cheaper but even amazon sells them like this (cordless drill works best since no power by ponds). That said, I'd only look at this as a temporary solution, longer term I'd get the real mccoy :D

I'm not sure why I keep readying about people carrying 5 gallon buckets of water from ponds (saw it in
sicman&rsquo;s glog here) &hellip; Save your back, for less than $10 bucks you can get a drill powered water pump that connects to regular garden hose o_O I&rsquo;ve seen them cheaper but even amazon sells them like this (cordless drill works best since no power by ponds). That said, I'd only look at this as a temporary solution, longer term I'd get the real mccoy :D

Oh, Ramon, I only use pond/lake water for 1. the first watering in and 2. AACTeas in spring. Only lake water or off-gassed chlorinated water in summer. Then, drip tape/soaker hoses, drip irrigation from outdoor faucet with filter--I know, CHLORINE (filter doesn't "filter" that out); but after plants are established, I've not seen much of a difference. With pepper plants, I generally wait on rain. Not always, but have those lines up on different valves, T systems. I might order a couple more timers this year. IF I lived as close as sic did to water/lake/pond (I didn't read his full discussion except for well/water table), I'd have a pump a-pumpin'! (Unless he has some seriously limiting circumstances.) My cousin gets ALL of his garden water from a pond/creek with a pump in it. Dear friend's father has such set up in Eastern NC and big pond--but then he has 100 acres, and only (?) plants 4 acres but waters all from pond with pumps and irrigation lines :shocked:--and it's nice to let neighborhood kids come fish out the cats (the fish :rofl: ) that are just getting too big, aka, going to die if not harvested. Pond I use is down the road. First of year is only time I really use that water, as now it's 1. aerated 2. got good fish and leaf stuff from the spawn. Hell, no! I'm crazy but not insane enough to tote that stuff all grow season! Nooooooo. But . . . depending on water temps, I wait to empty live and bait wells on boat--wench it up--let that lake-fish water flow from 25 gal livewell into 5 gal buckets. Save two 5 gal for guts, when cleaning, feed guts to Chester, the black snake and dilute fish-gut water for garden. Near a pond or stream? I'd have a pump! ;)

Annie, looks like you have this totally and completely dialed in. That plot reminds me of the one my family used to do at my Uncles Ranch. He had about 250 something acres and raised White Face Herefords but 4 acres right behind the house was fenced off and that was the family farm. My Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles would grow that thing out every year and pull enough produce out to freeze and can that I honestly cannot remember my Grandmother ever buying a can of tomato sauce. Never was there for prep and planting but we were always there at picking time it seems like and man was it all good :)

I know your going to be pulling so good stuff from there this year :)

Annie, looks like you have this totally and completely dialed in. That plot reminds me of the one my family used to do at my Uncles Ranch. He had about 250 something acres and raised White Face Herefords but 4 acres right behind the house was fenced off and that was the family farm. My Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles would grow that thing out every year and pull enough produce out to freeze and can that I honestly cannot remember my Grandmother ever buying a can of tomato sauce. Never was there for prep and planting but we were always there at picking time it seems like and man was it all good :)

I know your going to be pulling so good stuff from there this year :)

"I know your going to be pulling so good stuff from there this year :)"--as long as I don't reach out and "pull" out a piece of my back, it's all good. No, seriously ;) That sounds wonderful! I never had store-"boughten" canned stuff until I left home to go to school with exceptions of peanut butter, maybe, although Mama made that too, sometimes. I was just a kid; I recall my mother, grandmother, and I were working in garden, probably picking blasted beans, my least fav thing to do :rolleyes:. I said, swiping at sweat bees, "I don't like Adam." Mama thought I must've been talking about some boy at school. But my grandmother fell out laughing. Then my mother got it. "Shut up and toil the land, girl." But it was nice to have freshly squeezed milk :P and those pole beans tasted great come winter! Not after helping "put up" 200 quarts (hyperbole, but not by much) of them. But in winter, yep!

&hellip; I never had store-"boughten" canned stuff until I left home to go to school with exceptions of peanut butter, maybe, although Mama made that too, sometimes. &hellip;
Why is it that I hear &ldquo;the ballad of Jed Clampett&rdquo; playing in the back of my mind ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Come and listen to a story about a woman named Annie
A poor mountaineer, barely kept her family fed,
Then one day she was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin POD&rsquo;S

Peppers that is, Jamaican gold, Texas sized pods.

Well the first thing you know ol Annie&rsquo;s a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Annie move away from there"
Said "Florida is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Miami ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Hmmmmm.... I think we might have to start a pepper growing fanatics invasion of Ramon's neighborhood...lol
Just so we can grow year round ;)
Chris my friend you are always welcome my pepper lovin brethren. But I hope you read what I said to Scott here &hellip; &ldquo;The grass pepper is greener bigger on the other side until you get there,&rdquo; lols

Why is it that I hear &ldquo;the ballad of Jed Clampett&rdquo; playing in the back of my mind ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Come and listen to a story about a woman named Annie
A poor mountaineer, barely kept her family fed,
Then one day she was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin POD&rsquo;S

Peppers that is, Jamaican gold, Texas sized pods.

Well the first thing you know ol Annie&rsquo;s a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Annie move away from there"
Said "Florida is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Miami ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Chris my friend you are always welcome my pepper lovin brethren. But I hope you read what I said to Scott here &hellip; &ldquo;The grass pepper is greener bigger on the other side until you get there,&rdquo; lols

"North, that is, big ole pods, Sargasso sea ♪♪ weed." ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ (Damnit, can't find the rest symbol using alt! :mope: ) I absolutely adore this Ramon! :rofl: You're too artistic do anything but an art, like growing and cooking, and fishing, and preppin' seaweed tea, whatever . . . :rofl: an art!

I do miss art , how did you know o_O ... Drawing, airbrushing, still have my Paasche airbrush & compressor but haven't used it in years :/ Was thinking of gifting to #2 he's a naturally born artist. Just put a pencil in his hand and you will be amaze, he probably got that from my father & mother, they were both amazing as well, me ... I'm cut rate, hehe. I got into pottery for some time and made thought provoking hand builds, later to throw pots, dishes, etc. but no cheap places around here and that's been years too ... maybe some day again, for now it's music, growing peppers, surfing when we have some and chatting with you muchacha \o/

Update (remaining on Bev Hillbillies theme): BAKING COMPOST!

Anns2013Glogbakingcompost1_zps1e465540.jpg

Worms, larvae, weeds, adeu (Valenciano for adios)!

Anns2013Glogbakingcompost2_zps1abda8ea.jpg

160F for an hour and:

Anns2013Glogbakingcompost3_zpsf9f106dc.jpg

Yeah buddy, "nice" activity for cool overcast afternoon: will have shots "plated" in 30 gal trashcan!

Nice looking rig, Annie, -and so versatile too.
What are you starting in that?

I just don't get to enough yard sales.

Hilarious, Carl! :rofl: Yeah, cool rig, alright. :rofl: I recommend yard sales for crap useful tools for nasty jobs like that'un. I'm just killin' the roly-p's, sowbugs, whatever larvae, weed seed in it, as it was left from last summer--hit it with some blood/bone meal but could never get it cooking again WITH THESE STRANGE temperatures we're having the "the temperate clime." Either gonna use it for pots/containers, if I can ever decide on a container mix, and the stuff left behind in piles is just going back on garden, as is. Only reason r-ps and sowbugs keep hanging out is 1. cold and 2. wet. I dunno, what would you use baked, pasteurized compost for? Maybe, too, I wanted to feel productive, gardening-wise as they calling for more damn lovely showers here Sunday or maybe tonight or Monday or whenever it needs to do that to make the garden an unlikely foundation to walk on, aka, plant in. lol. Dang.

Ramon,

Love the song, caught that during a quick break today :dance:

Annie,

OK so we have Frankenstein3 now, fantastic idea!

This is what I love so much about THP, reading about and seeing what everyone does.

Makes me want to join again under a different name so I can hand out mo likes.

Have a great weekend!

Yeah, pasteurized compost.
I'm sure there is a mushroom other than P. cubensis that fruits with a pasteurized compost casing, I think the common button mushroom does.
I'd probably use it in a seed starting mix after screening it.

Yeah we're gonna get some of that rain too, and I'd like to till one more pass on the row garden before the big plant out. Our temps haven't been bad, but the wind seems to have everything stalled. Maybe it will lay by the 10th, which is by tradition our last cold spell.

Yeah, pasteurized compost.
I'm sure there is a mushroom other than P. cubensis that fruits with a pasteurized compost casing, I think the common button mushroom does.
I'd probably use it in a seed starting mix after screening it.

Yeah we're gonna get some of that rain too, and I'd like to till one more pass on the row garden before the big plant out. Our temps haven't been bad, but the wind seems to have everything stalled. Maybe it will lay by the 10th, which is by tradition out last cold spell.

I don't know much about mushrooms, Carl. I mean . . . never mind, back in day . . . Except that where I HAD TO WET bales of straw LAST SPRING, ahem, and then used blood meal until I convinced, under serious protests, other half to pee in a quart jar--those bales broke down well--new compost pile, last spring--lots of little buttons from that. That straw made nice fungally dominated AACT later in season . . . I sure hope we have a "later in season." (5th season = aptly named.)

Looking at 10th too. Latest I've ever planted out. Just a little issue with muck. I seriously thought about lots of perlite in those beds within the big garden . . . if had 5' wide sheets of toilet paper, could uptuck it loaded with perlite, lay that on "raised beds" within the garden :crazy: . About the only way I'd hit that again with a tiller now, would be if somebody was in front between RB's within garden spraying, heavily spraying, Actinovate, tossing perlite, but that can wait until plant out too. Aside from late date, cool and wet is absolute haven for nasty fungi in soil. Corn meal additive too (whenever that day may come).

I screened baked compost, looks good, really, got about 15 gals done, did soil tests and looks more than adequate, even on phosphorous. Mosser Lee could lie?!!!! (Weather's really messin' with my "Pollyanna Cowgirl" groove. ;))

Back