• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

Well wild Bill ( rocketman) has used my frozen peppers in his ferments so it can be done. Just don't short yourself on some good salt. Carrots will help as well. My only ferment went bad fast. Make sure to clean everything and then clean again. 

Devv said:
Good luck on the fermenting Annie, I've never attempted that before.

Yeah, Scott: got tired of messing around with wild ferments. They work: just gotta watch 'em like hawk and every time ya scoop gunk off, lets in more O2 to create more gunk. So going with less attention grabbing methods (I hope!)

romy6 said:
 Well wild Bill ( rocketman) has used my frozen peppers in his ferments so it can be done. Just don't short yourself on some good salt. Carrots will help as well. My only ferment went bad fast. Make sure to clean everything and then clean again. 

Sweet Jamie! Well wild brotha Bill neglected to tell me that . . . hmm. :shh:  Am gonna use pickling/canning salt since I got that sticky by Bill and CM, dangit, memorized. I think 4% be fine with salt/volume ratio. 3.8 is all that's necessary, usually, if using hooch or whey. Rounding up is easier math for me.

I hear ya on the clean. Why God made Clorox and hydrogen peroxide. And lemon juice. Thought I would whack up frozen peppers, into smaller pieces on clean cutting board after washing (again), then finish thaw in frig in big bags with some lemon j. Slosh them around in it, then pull as much air out as possible with straw, let thaw that way and rinse again with purified water. Any food is more susceptible to bacteria in a thawing cycle, even if vacuum sealed. Oh yeah, did you try any of those sauces? PM me, if you wanna.

Or just publicly embarrass me! :dance: Really am looking to improve.

annie57 said:
… Yes! Now, don't you dare put the choc scorp on my "to grow" list, Ramon . . . but you might have. Have some your JA Habs going NUTS! Some mutant version is turning orange, hermano. :P But I kinda figure orange is on way to red. "ROYGBIV." Be well, my friend! …
So should I toss da Chocolate Scorp seeds I’ve been saving for you, hahahaha ;)

Jamaican Habanero’s ripen red in the end but I like them orange or red, I've tried them green but I don't like them like that as they don't have the fruity flavor till da color change. I will often pick them orange and they’ll turn red while on da kitchen counter. Some funky girls will wear the green, orange, yellow and red colors reminding you dat dem bad Caribbean Africanized girls if they wana be ;)

Take loads of pics of the ferment along the way, I will be following and taking notes as I haven’t tried that yet but still make sauces. I love what you’ve shown so far and the 2 gal tubs with airlocks look great, but I’m assuming you’ll be using the glass jars jugs as that will allow you to see the action and if the progression is correct.

Hope you make da best sauce ever! Have a great weekend muchacha ^_^

WalkGood said:
So should I toss da Chocolate Scorp seeds I’ve been saving for you, hahahaha ;)

Jamaican Habanero’s ripen red in the end but I like them orange or red, I've tried them green but I don't like them like that as they don't have the fruity flavor till da color change. I will often pick them orange and they’ll turn red while on da kitchen counter. Some funky girls will wear the green, orange, yellow and red colors reminding you dat dem bad Caribbean Africanized girls if they wana be ;)

Take loads of pics of the ferment along the way, I will be following and taking notes as I haven’t tried that yet but still make sauces. I love what you’ve shown so far and the 2 gal tubs with airlocks look great, but I’m assuming you’ll be using the glass jars jugs as that will allow you to see the action and if the progression is correct.

Hope you make da best sauce ever! Have a great weekend muchacha ^_^

Ramon, donchu dare toss dem seeds! Pweeze!! But uh, ya know that White bhut, ghost, mmmmmmmm, hint to the hint. LOL.

"Red, gold, and green." I bought a tam in Harlem, cannot find it (but've moved a lot), hand-made by Jamaican lady. I know can get them online but I brought ton of them back for my rastamon bros in Austin and here, band-mates. (They still have theirs. :rolleyes: ) It was so beautiful, unique, imperfect, embroidered. Can't find it :mope: . SO: I CAN WEAR THE PEPPERS in various stages of ripeness! And if I want a bite just eat off de cuello. (No funny jokes on other meaning! :rofl: Yeah, I know your mind went there.or I could be projecting  :party:  ).

Will definitely be doing pepper ferments in the .5 gal jars with airlocks. (Kraut and kimchi are more forgiving: more natural sugars in Napa cabbage, etc. So, will be doing them in those 2 gallon buckets with plates as weights and plastic baggies with salted, purified water.)

Heck, if you make kimchi, you can use the brine to jumpstart the ferment since it's an active lacto culture. It also gives the mash some of the flavor of the kimchi. That's what I do.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31316-stickmans-tasty-treats/page-2#entry646380
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34953-2012-harvest-cooking-with-stickman/#entry712143
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34953-2012-harvest-cooking-with-stickman/page-3#entry722534
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34677-first-fermented-sauce/#entry705525

The thing that provides the initial lacto culture is the napa cabbage. It's naturally occurring on the outside of the leaves in the same way wild yeasts will be on the skins of ripe fruit. Wash the vegetables well in clear water (no detergent of any kind), cut up to increase the surface area and generously salt to pull excess water out of the vegetables and kill off the micro-organisms that may compete with the lacto culture. As you might guess, lacto bacteria thrive in a salty environment.

If you have any other questions I can help you with, just pm me, and I'd be happy to help.

stc3248 said:
Mine's bubbling up nice...I really need a canning funnel! Hope yours turns out for ya! I'll be watching. :)

Hiya Shane! Great on ferment. Going to try to catch up on glogs tonight. My better half told me yesterday, "You cannot save the damned world of your family, you've not run in a week, so go run; I'm turning off all phones." Dang: how sweet. And I did. Trying to catch up on glogs tonight if you have pic of ferment. If not, heck, still groovy. What peppers ya using?

stickman said:
Heck, if you make kimchi, you can use the brine to jumpstart the ferment since it's an active lacto culture. It also gives the mash some of the flavor of the kimchi. That's what I do.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31316-stickmans-tasty-treats/page-2#entry646380
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34953-2012-harvest-cooking-with-stickman/#entry712143
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34953-2012-harvest-cooking-with-stickman/page-3#entry722534
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34677-first-fermented-sauce/#entry705525

The thing that provides the initial lacto culture is the napa cabbage. It's naturally occurring on the outside of the leaves in the same way wild yeasts will be on the skins of ripe fruit. Wash the vegetables well in clear water (no detergent of any kind), cut up to increase the surface area and generously salt to pull excess water out of the vegetables and kill off the micro-organisms that may compete with the lacto culture. As you might guess, lacto bacteria thrive in a salty environment.

If you have any other questions I can help you with, just pm me, and I'd be happy to help.

Thanks, Rick! You were the kimchi go-to expert in my thinking, so thank you! Have had great kimchi and looks like, some of your other  ferments, when lived in Manhattan. Actually one really gracious older Korean lady--had to have an "in"--worked out of her home in Brooklyn. Wonderful stuff! Hers was nice and hot with the shrimp and some other sea-dwelling, not oysters, but was aaaahhhhhh. Sweet! Question on post 29 of 4th link to hot sauce: did you ferment the jalapeños as well? Just wondering. I think my thoughts on canning to preserve are beginning to run: buy another refrigerator for fermented veggies to get beneficials of probiotics rather than just p-canning or waterbathing with some exceptions. Have some orange thai that had surely better turn to make a sauce, because they are delicious, green. Thanks hon! :party:

Bodeen said:
Never fermented anything on purpose.  My trouble with this weather has been BER.  First time ever too.  

Good luck!!!

"on purpose" :rofl: Yeah. I was getting rid of some pressure-canned whole kernel corn--been around too long, forgot had it--opened, tossed contents behind woods--and as the stuff fermented, birds were dive-bombing it and got very, very drunk.

Weather? Wettest spring/summer on record around here. smh. Ironically, not seen a lot of BER on tomatoes. They're late but the few turning . . . but then the poor things have been sogged since planted. At this point, they think wet is normal.

annie57 said:
Thanks, Rick! You were the kimchi go-to expert in my thinking, so thank you! Have had great kimchi and looks like, some of your other  ferments, when lived in Manhattan. Actually one really gracious older Korean lady--had to have an "in"--worked out of her home in Brooklyn. Wonderful stuff! Hers was nice and hot with the shrimp and some other sea-dwelling, not oysters, but was aaaahhhhhh. Sweet! Question on post 29 of 4th link to hot sauce: did you ferment the jalapeños as well? Just wondering. I think my thoughts on canning to preserve are beginning to run: buy another refrigerator for fermented veggies to get beneficials of probiotics rather than just p-canning or waterbathing with some exceptions. Have some orange thai that had surely better turn to make a sauce, because they are delicious, green. Thanks hon! :party:
Hi Annie,
   Thanks for the kudos. If you ever remember what the seafood your friend put in her kimchi I'd be interested in finding out.

No, I didn't ferment the Jalapenos and Pepperoncini last year... I hot-pack canned them. I won't do that again since it half-cooks the peppers and they get really soft... a personal turn-off. HabaneroHead shared his mother's cold-pack canning recipe/method with me this year, and I'll be experimenting with that for the canned peppers. You could ferment them, but remember that it's a living culture, and refrigeration slows down the process but doesn't stop it altogether. Eventually the pickles will get very sour if you don't eat them before they get to that point. That's why I'm trying cold-pack canning... I want mine to last through the winter without refrigeration.

Looking back through the posts I linked here, I just realized that the only one I listed ingredient amounts for was the cabbage kimchi. If you're interested in the others, just let me know. Cheers!

Late July and its hitting low 50s here.  I could be seeing blossom drop...IN JULY!!!  I think I had better growing last year.  All I had to do was keep water to them.

Devv said:
LOL, wet is normal, you're too funny.

So here I guess dry is normal:)

The pod is always greener on the side with the dang rain, Scott! :confused: :rofl:

BUTTTTTTTT: It did not rain here yesterday!!! NO! It rained nearby (had to run to pharmacy to pick up some Vits/Minerals and it sprinkled there) but not here!

Saturday morning, Catawba and Lincoln Counties to s-east of us got 12 inches in 2 hours. Were ordering evacs of folks living below one dam as they were going to have to open it to stop roads/houses from flooding upstream. Sad for those folks they had to sacrifice, some poor planning but mostly, this amount of rain is abnormal. It rained here too, but not like that. We got an inch in about the same time. Lake James is 3' over full-pond. Hard to believe since it's over 400' deep on Linville side. So far, two dead on Wilson Creek and sad about that. I know they could have listened but there are calm, shallow pools on Wilson. And I don't trust 'em unless we're in drought. Have seen Wilson go bonkers just from a summer storm. But these folks were from Charlotte and didn't know how fast that ole river turns into white water. Stories of local flooding here; I know Philly and Jersey got it too.

WalkGood said:
Annie, I was joking about tossing them but now that I know what you want, I'll be saving some just for you muchacha ^_^

Ramon, by now, you know I like any version of anything except the red with exception of red jals, JA reds, Carib Reds, and red cayenne for drying. And red thai, which didn't grow this year as wanted orange thai. I'd really like the chocolates in anything and yellows. Only reason have planted the red naga is I appreciate the taste of that red. But it's just as well I didn't plant choc bhuts this year because I had to think about ripening time in getting them in late. I also like the yellow bhut a lot and got it so confused in last year's seed stuff after trading some, that I forgot which were fatalii and which were yellow bhut for myself. I'm trying to beg a spare bedroom for overwintering--has decent Southern exposure, have table, could get a small grow lamp--but so far, that begging effort's not going well. :mope: It's doubtful that in two consecutive years, we will get this weather: cold spring and then lots of rain. Just abnormal but happens.

stickman said:
Hi Annie,
   Thanks for the kudos. If you ever remember what the seafood your friend put in her kimchi I'd be interested in finding out.

No, I didn't ferment the Jalapenos and Pepperoncini last year... I hot-pack canned them. I won't do that again since it half-cooks the peppers and they get really soft... a personal turn-off. HabaneroHead shared his mother's cold-pack canning recipe/method with me this year, and I'll be experimenting with that for the canned peppers. You could ferment them, but remember that it's a living culture, and refrigeration slows down the process but doesn't stop it altogether. Eventually the pickles will get very sour if you don't eat them before they get to that point. That's why I'm trying cold-pack canning... I want mine to last through the winter without refrigeration.

Looking back through the posts I linked here, I just realized that the only one I listed ingredient amounts for was the cabbage kimchi. If you're interested in the others, just let me know. Cheers!

Actually, Rick, emailed our former manager, now living in Manhattan, and while she tends to answer "Japanese" on everything I ask, she said she thought she recalled, "octopus." But then, she's an octopi freak so . . .

I generally have limed jals and whatever other pepper/veggie that I want crisp. Mrs. Wages Lime, and I don't use the full amount of lime called for. Hot packing will make them mushy. I cold pack most stuff: hot brine into hot, sterilized pint jars, 10 minute water-bath, 15 for quarts. Just considering probiotic possibilities of not doing that, but yes, for long-term, not refrigerated preservation, cold pack. Now, getting rid of the lime, is a PIA, and again, I use less than called for, but if using full amount, the rinses get ridiculous! I bought several 1/2 gallon food grade clear WIDE mouth containers that I can get in frig for liming. I used to use this gigantic enamel crock for liming and uh, OTT. Just too dang much work to ensure they get rinsed, and buying ice--took me longer to do pickled anything than to go fishing, catch fish, trailer boat, clean fish, clean boat, recharge batteries. Really. How does that make sense? And that was before making syrup or brines or sterilizing jars . . . :rolleyes: because the lime HAS to be rinsed. I go 5X rinse with small batches, not full amount, and seems to work fine. Killer with hot pickled okra or "okrie," if ya like okra.

And yes, please send me a PM on amounts for ingredients in kimchi, Rick. Never done it but since have converted my mother--she'll eat anything hot to naga recently--and she LOVES sauerkraut just not able to make it any longer or she shouldn't--she'd love kimchi. I can get Napa but not dried ground Gochu (Gochugaru) without ordering it online. Not asking for your stash but what would be the best online place to order? I'll make sure some gotchu peppers are on grow list next year, just for this, since I love s-kraut and the stuff in Brooklyn was to die for excellent! (Octopus or not . . . no matter: if it comes out of body of water--UNLESS FALLING FROM SKY!--dang at rains we've had, lol, I'll eat it.) Thanks hon!

Bodeen said:
Late July and its hitting low 50s here.  I could be seeing blossom drop...IN JULY!!!  I think I had better growing last year.  All I had to do was keep water to them.

Damn, Bodeen that's cold for July . . . oh wait . . . are you sending that our way? :surprised: Everything from midwest has wandered down here. But with unusual rain complaints, I'll hang with our nights in upper 60's. Which is cold for us here. Peace hon: hope it warms!

stc3248 said:
Annie:"What peppers you using?" Answer: "All of the above!" HA! Hope you have success on finding room to overwinter!  Hope ma nature decides to give you all a bit of a break.

Shane, you loveable smartass  :dance:  . . . for overwinters or fermenting? Ferment is "all of above that are frozen (but about to be whacked up frozen and allowed to thaw in frig)"--mostly hab varieties and 7 pod yellow, yellow bhuts--nagas--yeah, that's "all of the above."

For OW, actually wondering about the pubes! Fer starters. But also doubtful on that. Jalapeño? :rofl: (Just kiddin.') Whatever doesn't ripen, if it doesn't. But am still holding out hope for Indian Summer. (Since Caleb Weatherbee :rolleyes:  and Old Farmer's Almanac crack me up. Ouija Board or coin flip be more accurate.)

My final answer Alex, on OW is: "Any otherwise healthy, prolific plant that doesn't ripen before frost." And, "any healthy prolific pepper plant that does ripen and I luuuuuuuv it!" How about you there in sunny, damnit Cali? ;)

Eh, the frozen peppers smelled rough. Or, not like fresh at ALL when ground up. (Or maybe it was the 1.5 hours of bobbing face in ice water--long story.) So, not gonna use it for mash. Have posted here for SFRB boxes of ripe hab/bhuts, etc.--do not want orange habs nor red bhuts--just me, but not fond of either taste; and since I have the "country of Trinidad" growing in garden, not too keen on just buying in that fam. I really do want to do a mash soon but don't want to mess it up with peppers been in freezer for almost a year. So. But do have small harvest today (I just eat too much of this stuff while going through garden! 2 Aji Limon and a yellow scotch bonnet got gone yesterday while pulling that damned pigweed. Need to grow some little fast maturing Tepin to keep me out of "other" turnings.)

"Einstein" (yellow brainstrain) plant product, a Harold St. Bart, a few non-Ramon red scotch bonnet. Ramon's/Walkgood plants are bigger pods, not turning as quickly but from green taste, astounding. Some serrano tampequino, and a small red jal:

AnnsGlog7-30smallharvest_zpse44d13b6.jpg

Anybody wanna help a "mash" (fermentation) out--will pay for time, effort, and postage, let me know! If it's red and in hab family, or yellow scotch bonnet fam, choc hab, yellow/choc/white/peach bhut that'd be just swell! (Yes; I know am being picky but am willing to pay for that "dezarr."  For one mash that's Caribbean oriented and another that's "Nagaesque" oriented. Now, somebody gotta whole small SFRB of Madballz . . . WOW! Peace ;)

Help with a ....... "M.A.S.H." fermentation....Will Trapper and Hawkeye be there"................they did some fermentation themselves......... :D

Annie I like your idea......If I had ample ripe pods I'd shoot you a bunch but my gardens like "blowing a balloon up"...slow go.

PIC 1 said:
Help with a ....... "M.A.S.H." fermentation....Will Trapper and Hawkeye be there"................they did some fermentation themselves......... :D

Annie I like your idea......If I had ample ripe pods I'd shoot you a bunch but my gardens like "blowing a balloon up"...slow go.

Greg, would take both or either. What an amazing show. I watched the last ep and cried. Saw the film, watched the series without fail, when was kid (and older). Also my dad is a Korean War veteran. Always loved Hawkeye best. Trapper can tag along! Also, I met Alan Alda long time ago and just really wonderful man. Yeah, loved the martini glasses :lol:.

Glad you like the idea of using fresh pods; what's worse than a bad sauce? A bad powder. Yep, cooler temps, I hear, your way and ours. Not big help on the speed of things. I feel like mine turning is akin to blowing up king-size air mattress with mouth. Maybe we could pay somebody to cover the entirety and ethane/gas blast. Hey, I could put big brown grocery bags over individual "limbs" and stick apples and bananas in there--no worries about bugs or entire branches breaking :rolleyes:. Or I could just be more patient. :idea:  Strangely, I got morugas turning. Brains, but the habs are slower? Dunno. Should I strip the lower branches off? Should I just leave the poor things alone? lol Peace hon!

aHa...........was a great show, especially the 1st episodes which were in b/w...very dramatic, in a funny way.

I strip the lower branches later in the season and pinch off the growing tips. Both processes seem to ripen up the season ending fruit. I usually have a thai plant or two with chili's left on over winter. They get sun dryed right on the plants and are always available for picking, right off the plant, snow or not.

Back