• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

The ferments still look OK color wise, not much bubble action. One has the yeast thang going on. One thing is I have no warmer than 78° place to put them. Gonna ride them out and see where they take me, and start more this weekend. I see pumpkin in these :D

I know the smaller snakes have more potent venom, but daddy can strike from further away.

I don't like any of them.

Devv said:
The ferments still look OK color wise, not much bubble action. One has the yeast thang going on. One thing is I have no warmer than 78° place to put them. Gonna ride them out and see where they take me, and start more this weekend. I see pumpkin in these :D

I know the smaller snakes have more potent venom, but daddy can strike from further away.

I don't like any of them.

Yes, I found that with cooler temps here on that Madballz ferment, am using heat mat and aluminum pie pan to get the ferment to more optimal temps. And banging holy heck out of bottom--on carpet--to make mash fall back down, keep from fouling air lock as heat makes ferment more aggressive, 5 more days and it can sit anywhere. Punkin sounds gooooooooood.

True on the snake < and > but at least one, lets me know they're there. For my pecan wood & serpent issues:

Good smoke on Weber with apple and pecan (dead snake warning shot in lower left, no; not a snake, not in western NC, never):

AnnsGlog10-31smokingpeppersweber1_zpsd27838c6.jpg

Tabs and few friends early in smoke:

AnnsGlog10-31smokingpeppersTabasco2_zps682644cf.jpg

Poblano, pasilla, guajillo, red hot cherries, jals etc. first of smoke:

AnnsGlog10-31smokingpeppersjalanchopasilloguajillo3_zps8f38174b.jpg

Similar batch 2 hours later few Douglah/7Pod Brown thrown in:

AnnsGlog10-31smokingjalsDouglah7PodBrown5_zps334f153c.jpg

A few just Douglah and 7 Pod Brown on top the above:

AnnsGlog10-31smokingDouglahand7PodBrown4_zps660006f5.jpg

Really terrible shot of Naga's with flash/dark, couldn't see, but glad it got something in vicinity of grill:

AnnsGlog10-31smokingNaga6_zps72334f7e.jpg

Just smoked two hours, then went on dehydrator, in frig, more to dehydrate if I don't kill dehydrator. The smoked 7PBrown and Douglah make the XXX part of Tex-MeXXX ferment. The other half of that smoked ferment becomes a meat sauce.

Pint of smoked Tabs go with Tab ferment, which has some naga and jal in it. Rest are powders.

Bought some limes yesterday, some oranges, to dehydrate for chicken fish rubs with "the yellows" for powder blends; already dehydrated tomatoes for some of the meat rub blend.

Thanks for looking!

Ha! Lovin' it!

You kicked some serious butt with your grow this year!

Your smoking pics are making me drool, hope I have the time to get some in the smoker this weekend.

Happy Halloween!

Outta "likes" Scotty and thanks as you are still kicking!

Y'all check it out!

Grant really did me a super-solid (something I wanted), along with Bhut Choc x 7P Yellow F5, 7 Pod Jonah Yellow, Bahamian Goat, and Tabasco x Naga as his note says! Treats for Halloween!

9bde832a-d3d3-41bc-b86a-c79fb54a6413_zps000f5d18.jpg

annie57 said:

Yes, I found that with cooler temps here on that Madballz ferment, am using heat mat and aluminum pie pan to get the ferment to more optimal temps. And banging holy heck out of bottom--on carpet--to make mash fall back down, keep from fouling air lock as heat makes ferment more aggressive, 5 more days and it can sit anywhere. Punkin sounds gooooooooood.

True on the snake < and > but at least one, lets me know they're there. For my pecan wood & serpent issues:

Good smoke on Weber with apple and pecan (dead snake warning shot in lower left, no; not a snake, not in western NC, never):

Just smoked two hours, then went on dehydrator, in frig, more to dehydrate if I don't kill dehydrator. The smoked 7PBrown and Douglah make the XXX part of Tex-MeXXX ferment. The other half of that smoked ferment becomes a meat sauce.

Pint of smoked Tabs go with Tab ferment, which has some naga and jal in it. Rest are powders.

Bought some limes yesterday, some oranges, to dehydrate for chicken fish rubs with "the yellows" for powder blends; already dehydrated tomatoes for some of the meat rub blend.

Nice job with the smoked chiles Miz Annie! That'll warm the cockles of your heart this winter... :)  Since you're using airlocks... you might want to swirl the mash around to dislodge gas bubbles instead of bumping them against the carpeted floor. That way you don't risk fouling the airlock with backsplash. Just a thought...

We have Copperheads and Timber Rattlers here in southern New England too, but fortunately they aren't numerous, and tend to gravitate to places people don't go poking around in... like south-facing scree piles under rock faces.

Mixing citrus powder into your rubs looks interesting... I'll have to give it a try sometime. Do you use the whole fruit or just the rind?

Have a great weekend

WalkGood said:
Feeling like Scott down south here, seeing how tasty your smoking shots are I want to smoke up some MoA. Time permitting this weekend looks as good as any …

Great job Annie, love da look on dem smoked girls ^_^

Hab a great weekend!

Dang, hope the mods restore my "likes" for today, mi hermano! I cleared cache, cookies, to pay a freakin' bill this morning (bank acting up, bless their hearts :twisted: ) and my "likes" for today gone too :mope: . LOL, it'll be alright. They'll restore them or I'll go "likeless" another day. (I know you have "likes" :P )

Yes; you do need to smoke up some MoA's and you have my address . . , JUST KIDDIN' que tonterias, lolz.

But am going to PM you, about some powder blend ideas infused with fruit etc. and different heat levels, as I ordered bags and bags of little and some mid-size ziplocks for powders and seeds. (Ramon runs from his messages :rofl: .)

When you get a moment to breathe, smoke'em! "Si, se puede fumar." ;)

stickman said:
I LIKE THIS. Hey, MODS! lol

Nice job with the smoked chiles Miz Annie! That'll warm the cockles of your heart this winter... :)  Since you're using airlocks... you might want to swirl the mash around to dislodge gas bubbles instead of bumping them against the carpeted floor. That way you don't risk fouling the airlock with backsplash. Just a thought... Rick, I been a swirling and a bangin' and careful not to bang too hard. To avoid that. But yes! It could be an in face, ooops broken airlock event! Thanks! I hope to warm the cockles of a few others' hearts this winter as well. How did it go with the granola trick or treaters? LOVE that story with your dad!! Just too cool. Mine avoided the door. "Hrumph; chance for kids to scam candy off ya." Mama paid him no attention and dressed up, made cookies, all kinds of cookies, jams for parents, her peanut butter cookies are still to die for, and not a huge fan of peanut butter; we did taffy pulls to give taffy on Halloween (and that was a blast! "I'm in my bedroom now Mama. As far as I can go! WHAT NOW?!) but we managed. Some apples but really, most folks around here were too poor to buy candy for kids, so I guess we were your neighborhood now by default! :rofl:

We have Copperheads and Timber Rattlers here in southern New England too, but fortunately they aren't numerous, and tend to gravitate to places people don't go poking around in... like south-facing scree piles under rock faces. Be happy on that lack of copperhead issue. You have well-mannered snakes. A elderly lady up street had to have her leg amputated last spring. One c-head bit her 8 times in leg, rapid fire. She went out to get newspaper, passed by super NEAT, clean woodpile to get morning paper as she always did. Her family called 9-1-1 but she's diabetic. One of first things my grandfather--the cool one (moonshiner/wood-carver) taught me--how to get wood and to watch for a copperhead. On way down, be on one side of leaves. Lying there. On way back up, moved to other side to strike. He swore they loved to bite people. So, ya walk around the jerk and always carry sharp axe or in his case, gun. They're more aggressive in spring.

My best trick'o treater last night was Lady Gaga (a friend) with her grandchildren! She just had to yell back at some folks, "Crawl back under that Southern Baptist pew ya came from! Hell, yeah! I'm a Methodist!" (Yes; it is that "colorful.")

Mixing citrus powder into your rubs looks interesting... I'll have to give it a try sometime. Do you use the whole fruit or just the rind?

That's why I'm PMing Scott and Ramon! If my grandmother were alive, she could tell me. Miss that woman; nothing went to waste. She dried oranges, orange peel, lemon, lime, the rare pineapple, coconut etc., as fruit was not common to receive or be able to buy or trade around here. She used that in her cakes, soups, herbal teas, tinctures . . . since I have some limes, gonna try to slice super-thin and dehydrate, push the meat of citrus out from peel and see how that works. Wish the limes luck!

Have a great weekend You too, dear man!

I can smell those smoked peppers from here. Outstanding.

I'll have a batch of tabascos going into the smoker later this week too. Some for sauce and some for powder. I harvested about a gallon bag full of ripe ones off of 4 plants and 1/2 gallon bag full of green ones I already pickled.

Living here in Tejas since '78 I've run into my share of rattlers, actually stepped over one while turkey hunting in '85, guess I'm blessed. Now that we're here in the boonies (2 miles down a road with 4 or 5 houses) they show up now and then in the yard. I've learned to watch for them no matter what I'm doing, always expecting one to be near. Luckily we also have Black Indigo's..

Annie and Rick, we leave the rind on. LB said many recipes she's read call for just the rind, and once dehydrated, it's tiny.

Have a great weekend!

Hey Annie. H2 was supposed to read choc barrackpore #2. Two plants, both from closed fused cotyledons that looked like green q-tip when they came up from the dirt.
#1 puts out more traditional barrackpore shaped pods, but #2 two is yummy tasty! I liked your description, cause it is a complex tasting pepper with goodness all around. I am over winter the #2 plant. :)
Seeds came via a trade. And think they had Chapman's name on them, so maybe Chris would know more. Cool pods though.
Sorry it took a minute to get back at ya. Busy week and weekend.
Take care...

Muchacha any progress on da powders? I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures ^_^

*Tip, not sure if I've mentioned it but when you dehydrate the fruit you have to go ballistic on it, some took me over 7 days. Make sure it's completely dehydrated cause if it's not it will clump and you'll know it when it's too late. Great success with it, I love the stuff, Strawberry & JA Hab FTW \o/

GA Growhead said:
Hey Annie. H2 was supposed to read choc barrackpore #2. Two plants, both from closed fused cotyledons that looked like green q-tip when they came up from the dirt.
#1 puts out more traditional barrackpore shaped pods, but #2 two is yummy tasty! I liked your description, cause it is a complex tasting pepper with goodness all around. I am over winter the #2 plant. :)
Seeds came via a trade. And think they had Chapman's name on them, so maybe Chris would know more. Cool pods though.
Sorry it took a minute to get back at ya. Busy week and weekend.
Take care...

Jason, saved seeds from both as next year, both could taste like the #2 or both taste like the #1. It'll stabilize more we all grow it.  (Am really excited about that Y7 x Choc Bhut that Grant is sending. F5 might be pretty stable but either one get will be fine if a gene goes off.) Decided to make more than appearances at uni this week and paying for it today, as finally got around to cleaning up garden(s) yesterday, aka last night by headlamp. Rode hard, put up wet today; considered going to get lights to replace last year's and some mulch for raised beds, but my dang knees hardly want to depress a clutch. You take good care too, hon!

WalkGood said:
Muchacha any progress on da powders? I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures ^_^

*Tip, not sure if I've mentioned it but when you dehydrate the fruit you have to go ballistic on it, some took me over 7 days. Make sure it's completely dehydrated cause if it's not it will clump and you'll know it when it's too late. Great success with it, I love the stuff, Strawberry & JA Hab FTW \o/

Hey, querido! Welp, FWIW, I will never dry pineapple again: yes, there's a method that rather not go into!

Really tired. I never do faculty meetings but some are required. Tired = boredom. 3 hours of discussion vis a vis new faculty badges next year? Three. Hours. It's exhausting not saying, for 3 hours, "I don't give two shits." So sat there with my pad and pretended to listen, was asked something twice, and, "Excuse me, have a touch of sinus, didn't hear . . ." because was creating powder blend ideas on paper. Got lime, lemon and orange powder dried and decidedly going to try strawberries as they are less juicy than pineapple. I can go a week on dehydrator but 2 weeks, plus gumming up grinder and then, drying the slightly powdered gum on solid sheets for another week? :rofl: Wow. Have good day, mi hermano!

My dad goes in for his second carotid surgery on Friday; please keep him, my family, in thoughts/prayers. Many thanks to all of you!

Thanks y'all! Since my father's blood type hasn't changed in the last month (managed care), he's a go for surgery in morning.

Since going up to hospital in morning, took day off, got next to last sauce processed, but before into that, received package from Scott/Devv today: I see Reapers galore in there (I think; some WH too!), Red bhuts, looks like, JA Habs? yellow Jonah? and have no clue what ones at top left are. Look forward to these! Thank you, Scotty! (But something was wrapped in towel and would love to know what that is in lower right.)  :dance: :party:

AnnsGlog11-7ScottReaperBhutsJAHabYMoruga_zpsbe068880.jpg

And finished this sauce, first one not made with fruit, well some tomato juice and paste had not planned on but it seemed to ask for it; 10 woozys and 2 pints: Naga/Tabasco/Jalapeño (and Serrano), pH 3.6

AnnsGlog11-7TabascoNagasauce_zps2ae6565c.jpg

Ingredients:

Fermented smoked Naga, Tabasco, Jalapeño, Serrano peppers (1/2 gallon)
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 large sweet onion, minced
1 cup homemade tomato juice
1 cup homemade tomato "butter"/paste, aka sauce with some brown sugar, reduced
1 teaspoon horseradish
3 teaspoons apple wood smoked salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
4 oz. lime juice

Boiled woozys, got sauce to 200F, held it, bottled and inverted for 5 hours/pressure-canned 2 pints. With addition of tomato, and sweetness of balsamic vinegar, at first a sweet taste but Naga in this creeps to heat. Be a really good base for chipotle wing sauce. Pretty smoky flavor. Not at all a bit runny, not a "vinegar" sauce. Making this again, might add tamarind as the lime juice really brightens it.

Again, thank you Scott and look forward to trying these!! :onfire:

Rocking package of picante love from Scott, he’s so generous \o/ … hat’s off to him \o_

Woot another sauce Ms Annie, hard to believe da last of da sauces, hard to believe, not for a red hot minute muchacha, you are too creative and will soon be making mas \o/ Looks & sounds delish, awesome job!

Friday again, wish you a grand weekend and hope Papi's doing well ^_^

Back