• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

WalkGood said:
Rocking package of picante love from Scott, he’s so generous \o/ … hat’s off to him \o_

Woot another sauce Ms Annie, hard to believe da last of da sauces, hard to believe, not for a red hot minute muchacha, you are too creative and will soon be making mas \o/ Looks & sounds delish, awesome job!

Friday again, wish you a grand weekend and hope Papi's doing well ^_^

Yes, there's a buttload of pain in that package, mi hermano! :party:  I didn't try any last night because getting Pops ready, my blitz on school/students, blitz on garden day before (in dark--why do they mess with our time--giveth and taketh away?) and I have to be so careful with sanitation, processing sauces, 3 blenderings, and although sauce only has to be heated to 185 for shelf-stable if pH is below 4.0 (for me; I know "safe" is 4.6 pH, but I don't know what happens to sauce once it goes in a bottle even if I test the pints afterward), I go 200F just to be safer . . . processing a sauce for woozys is as much mental as physical! :shocked:

Don't recall taking pic of either Scott's goodies or the sauce! Missed a text from bro, who took my parents from hotel to J&S caff last night--he doesn't like J&S, lol--his text, "I should get a discount for being under 50 in here" cracked me up just now.

Ground some necked dried ginger, mixed with ground dried rosemary, and orange zest powder last night too. :party: Tried a little yellow bhut powder with it, and wow! But then, I was half here and not; might be suxs. Gotta hit road. "Hab" a good one, querido!

stickman said:
Good luck to you and your folks today Miz Annie, we're pullin' for ya!

Nice looking Chipotle sauce too. Good call on swapping out Tamarind for Lemon next time... That's what they use in Worcestershire sauce for similar reasons.

Thank you, Rick!

Yeah, thinking, "Tamarind" as sauce was bubbling hard and as got splattered again, thought, "Next time . . ." 3rd cook, 5th pH test, it becomes, "Next time." I like the creeper heat of the sauce; naga must've gotten crossed from last year, as naga can creep but this year they were, "Oh, nothin' to it" and then "holy s*^&*^T!" Kinda like Szechuan pepper gradually numbs mouth?

Have a good day, sweetie!

Thoughts for you, your family and a successful surgery for your pops.

Nice looking sauce, I like the color, no murky green, considering the usage of the Serranos and Jalapenos. I'm sure the Brown Sugar and Balsamic carried that through.
Tamarind, or Medjool Dates, Raisins, Prunes, Guava Paste...any of, in combo work great with what you just produced. I avoid using Lime unless the sauce is citrus based.

Positive thoughts for today and your weekend.

Greg

Awesome package from Scott. I too was luck enough to get one just like it. The pods at the top are his funky reapers. They are very tasty . 
Smoked pods, amazing sauces, tasty powders, sounds like you got it goin on :party:  

Many prayers for your father from the romy6 pavillion :pray:

Glad the package got there! One day late is not so bad for our beloved UPS.

I sent a PM of the peps, but Jamie's got it covered.

Dad's in our thoughts, I'm sure he'll want to drive home again ;)

Penny said:
Praying for you and your's Annie. ;)

Thanks Penny!

PIC 1 said:
Thoughts for you, your family and a successful surgery for your pops.

Nice looking sauce, I like the color, no murky green, considering the usage of the Serranos and Jalapenos. I'm sure the Brown Sugar and Balsamic carried that through.
Tamarind, or Medjool Dates, Raisins, Prunes, Guava Paste...any of, in combo work great with what you just produced. I avoid using Lime unless the sauce is citrus based.

Positive thoughts for today and your weekend.

Greg

Thanks, Greg! Daddy's fine so far but nobody was in room with him just now as surgeon was talking to him. Thus, I wonder if he'll recall anything dude said. (He needs hearing-aids and won't get them.) He was chatting up nurses in ICU last night and sweet-talkin' for food. So, think he'll be okay: women and food. He just might be grrrrreat!

Not much lime and I was wiped when doing it. As that bit of lime j. tossed in cussed myself for not going tamarind paste but on the nice side, raisins and carrots provided sugars for the ferment. Use smoked red jals and serranos in ferment.

Bro and I went to joint last night in A-ville, post-hospital and getting Mama back to hotel, after her food, Reuben to go; she just wanted to eat'n lie down; baby bro and I got oysters on half-shell (as good as it's gonna get in mnts. NC). I took a bottle of Nagatab; it rocks the fellers (huckahucka)--aka oysters--bro was chicken shi**t, initially. But he did ask for pico de gallo, which they didn't have, to go on his oysters. (I wanted to crawl under table. This was after first thing he asked our waiter was, "What is the strongest beer you can sell with shooters? She's driving; can you cut me off?") 

We would've have pics but his Iphone, my "Void" both dead. (We asked folks at restaurant to charge our phones. We had that look like, "Not only will we not pay, we'll burn this place to ground if you eff with us.")  After he got loaded, which didn't take much, I doused sauce on the easily soused oyster-eater; he loved it. :D I helped walk/stumble a 6'3" big guy, singing "Sweet Caroline" top of lungs, and kid has seriously trained, LOUD voice (RSox fan), into lobby. At which time got hotel dude to get him to room. I'z outta there before Mama Pajama caught on.

But . . . . got call from MP at midnight: "What did you do to your baby brother? He's drunk, in swimming pool, and has thrown up hot sauce." WTF: I always get blamed for them being stupid and I don't stop them from being stupid.

Yeah, all is normal around here. :lol:

romy6 said:
 Awesome package from Scott. I too was luck enough to get one just like it. The pods at the top are his funky reapers. They are very tasty . 
Smoked pods, amazing sauces, tasty powders, sounds like you got it goin on :party:  

Many prayers for your father from the romy6 pavillion :pray:

Yes, went back through Scott's glog on "Void" at hospital--time to upgrade--and saw top, funkies, looking forward to them--but am checking Scott's PM as, "time to upgrade," and that sauce is great. Ask baby bro. If you read above to Greg, see, were you my baby bro, see how nice I am to them? Shucks, I had so much fun w/lightweight, I paid tab, got phones back, charged, sent bro's wife a pic of a hot woman hostess with dumbazz bro acting out of character with her. She posed him. His wife has sense of humor. But he'll hate me when he finds out he did that and I took pic of it. And our waiter thought I was his wife, as did hostess, and he was so drunk, I just let them keep thinkin' that.

One guy sampled sauce and loved it. And then another staff, then . . . and bottle got gone. "Do I sell commercially?" That's a compliment, I guess.

The Powell Arcade thanks The Romy6 Pavilion. Daddy's fine--just talked to him. Surgical staff up his drain, bled too much, applying pressure, but if he doesn't cough??, they'll release him around noon which means, out around 2 pm. I think if they admit they screwed it up, should be FREE but :rofl: thank you, Jamie!

Devv said:
Glad the package got there! One day late is not so bad for our beloved UPS.

I sent a PM of the peps, but Jamie's got it covered.

Dad's in our thoughts, I'm sure he'll want to drive home again ;)

Uh, yeah on that last part but if I go back up to get him, no way he's driving mine. And if they release when said would, big no way on bro's Hummer. Yes. One has new Harley and "the baby" has Hummer; my question to both, showing them off, "WHY?" And "That's about as passe as a beemer with Haydn customized tag."  Then, they question themselves. Baby bros, that yuppy thing is so fun to mess with.

USPS, I get that--takes 3 days for mail to get to Austin for me and v-versa. Rural to rural is inaccurate in receipt, usually. And thank you!! (You know, of course, I'm tempted to do another ferment with these after reviewing! ;) ) Just enough Caldwell's left for a quart jar ferment.

Gonna check PM. Went back through your glog + Jamie and corrected my erroneous findings. Looking forward to them!!

Hey, Annie, hope your dad continues to fare well.

Sounds like you have been busy, girl.  Yet you still
have enough time to give your brothers a hard time.  

Awesome.

Hi Miz Annie, Glad to hear your Dad is out of his second procedure with enough ginger in him to "play" the nursing staff... too much bleeding in the drain sounds like they dropped a stitch... I hope things get better after this.

Takin' baby bro' out and gettin' him "faced" afterwards... you got an evil mind ma'am! I hope his wife is the understanding type... ;)  Supper sounded good until you mentioned Oysters on the half shell. I definitely pass on those since the flavor and consistency remind me too much of something else. I'm a home health aide, and I'm usually not squeamish, but those and Avocados give me the willies! Heck, I'll see your seafood appetizer and raise you a plate of linguine Carbonara made with Prosciutto de Parma and Broccoli florets sauteed with garlic and anchovies, then steamed until done... both made with my Naga chile oil... beats mere pepperoncino all hollow...
SANY0487_zpsd4b9098f.jpg

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Long time no visit: closing out semester, Daddy-post-surgery, but last of sauces are processed as of 1 am last night.

Bourbon Bevo/Squealer Juice:

AnnsGlog11-15-2013BourbonBevoSquealerJuice1_zps8b4cacf3.jpg

This is as close as I've come to an good "signature" sauce. (Well, "D'Yer Maker" is also good.)

Recipe:

Fermented 60 days, some smoked; some not, 7 Pod Brown x Naga and Douglah peppers
4 bunches scallions
6 cloves garlic
16 oz. homemade tomato butter
16 oz. homemade apple butter
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses
1/4 cup homemade Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1 cup homemade tomato juice
3 Tablespoons porcini mushroom powder
1 oz. unsweetened bakers chocolate
1 cup espresso (I think Tucano) mixed with Barahona
1 Tablespoon tamarind paste from pulp
1 or so Tablespoons sea salt
2 Tablespoons Szechuan pepper, ground
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice with pulp
3 Tablespoons malt vinegar
1.5 cup bourbon (Elijah Craig, I think; or several half-a decent ones I bummed off a friend since I don't drink da booze no-more)

pH of ferment 3.4 and pH of processed, 3.6

Yield 12 5 oz. woozies, 2 12 oz. Q sauce bottles, 1 pint. ("It's Math.")

A lot of work and a lot of ingredients, yes; and the result is seemingly worth it. Lost two after processing to friends coming over and tasting. Would work well on pork or brisket, steak, chuck roast, and probably chicken. What I'd do differently? Nothing. Let this simmer for several hours to bring out the porcini and chocolate, to extent could smell it on simmer.

Madballz Pie:

AnnsGlog11-15-2013MadballzPie1_zps7115a478.jpg

Recipe:

Fermented Madballz* (via Jamie/Romy6 and Jason/GA Growhead)
* to tone down the acidity of Madballz, fermented with sweet potato, agave nectar, sweet onions, sweet roasted garlic, salt, etc.
3/4 quart pumpkin puree--mix of homegrown sugar pumpkin and neck pumpkin
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup organic dark raisins reconstituted overnight in hot apple cider with little tamarind paste
1 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon ground ginger, ginger dehydrated and ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon cane vinegar
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice with pulp
1 Tablespoons ACV
1 cup bourbon

pH before processing: 3.7 and pH after 3.8

Yield: 6 5 oz. woozys, 2 pints or 56 oz.

Not ironically (because use of locally made Fuji apple cider), this comes very close to tasting like Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter (last one of 5) but is hotter, not as sweet and raisins reconstituted with tamarind gives it both some depth and a tart feeling, along with lime juice.

What I'd do differently is not use sugar pumpkin puree: neck pumpkin has a deeper flavor, is drier and sweeter. Only growing neck pumpkin and cushaw next year (cushaw for white sauces: white 7 pot, white bhut, etc., and if I can get my hands on white fatalii seed . . .). And might add some lime zest. This stuff is spicy. Not something one would drink, lol. Had some on vanilla ice cream around 2 am this morning, and it was great, but then I was tired and the sauce was still hot from the bottle. More like milkshake when ice cream melted as sauce hit it. Rest were inverted overnight.

Also, might add some sweet roasted garlic to process, next time, even though slight garlic taste remains from ferment.

Going to use this for a pig finishing sauce, maybe mixed with cranberry fuji apple jelly (yep, while at it last week; also, my father didn't call as much, wanting to go look at properties for sale that he has no intention of buying, when I gave him a pint of each) with cinnamon fuji apple jelly: red hots and fuji juice, no pectin in either jellies:

AnnsGlog11-15cinnamonfujiapplejelly_zpsb6dedefb.jpg

And these came today from Grant/Jungle Rain:

AnnsGlog11-15seedsfromJungleRain-Grant_zpsdec519b6.jpg

Bhut Choc x Yellow 7 f5, Jonah yellow, Tab x Naga, Bahamian Goat (forgot Greg/PIC1 sent me some). Also ordered some Goat's Weed (for drying) from Judy, along with Tobago Seasoning. The idea of a scaled-back pepper grow for 2014 is pretty much :lol: .

On funny note, was stupid tired and taking stuff to compost pile at 3 am this morning and saw that a wheelbarrow tire was nearly flat. Sitting on wood slab but, been cold. Well. So, pushed it up to car and plugged air compressor dowiggy into car and pumped it up. Headlamp and all. A risk, I know, Shane :rofl: After get back from Lowe's, buying new and replacing 6500k T-8s, begin powder blends.

Thanks for looking and everybody have a great day!

Devv said:
Sauces are looking goooooddd!

Thanks for posting the recipes as well!

I couldn't agree more. 

Oddly enough, I have a smoked Bhut and tobasco ferment that I will be starting tomorrow as a test of the flavors. Details will be in my glog later this weekend. Love those tabascos too. 

The best thing about tabascos is that you scalp the plant at the end of the year and just pickle all those green and partially ripe ones. They make  great snack peppers. Perfect heat without getting too hot. I made 4 pints of them this year, not counting the ripe ones in the freezer. 

GA Growhead said:
Looking good!
I also grabbed that yel Jonah from grant on my last order. ;)

Thanks, Jason. Stuff's not too hot, but then nothing is or should be as hot as fresh peppers unless it's an extract, and that's just :snooty:.

Well, how's about that? Don't reckon we'll be trading yeller J's huh?  :party:  (That so did not sound "legal," at least in NC and GA.)

Devv said:
Sauces are looking goooooddd!

Thanks for posting the recipes as well!

Thanks Scotty! And ya welcome, because why keep a song inside and take it to the grave? (I've officially lost it; quoting Thoreau. Yep. Lemme fix that: "I heard a fly buzz when I died." Whew; Emily's so much better!)

Had a Funky at lunch other day: those have a really nice taste. What are the odds the seeds saved would yield Funkies next year? Am truly sorry not gotten around to commenting on those but have been slammed. Thank you, Scott!

Jeff H said:

I couldn't agree more. 

Oddly enough, I have a smoked Bhut and tobasco ferment that I will be starting tomorrow as a test of the flavors. Details will be in my glog later this weekend. Love those tabascos too. 

The best thing about tabascos is that you scalp the plant at the end of the year and just pickle all those green and partially ripe ones. They make  great snack peppers. Perfect heat without getting too hot. I made 4 pints of them this year, not counting the ripe ones in the freezer. 

Yes, Jeff, for some reason the fruity of the Tab goes well with floral of bhut/naga. Smart move on Grant's part, I think. We'll see how the crossed pepper is. I added an annuum to the ferment I did, which is blissfully processed, bottled: Naga/Tab/Jal. Nice wing sauce, I think. Hope you enjoy yours!

And yep: ole timers, like my grandfather, when he got tired of fermenting Tabs, packed them in bottles at end of season in vinegar, and because we weren't allowed to touch a few bottles--more like jugs--I think it was a special "infusion." I thought I couldn't imagine moonshine & Tabs, until it was "the rage" in NYC in early 80's to shove jals in Tequila bottles, then serve shots of that with beer. I thought, "Heck, Pawpaw was way ahead of his time." My grandmother always made a few quarts of "spiced" tomato juice with garlic, celery salt, lemon j. and a few yellow Tabs. Hot but excellent when chilled on a hot summer's afternoon! (Come to think of it, she hid some of her quarts too. Hmm. "Medicinal purposes," I'm sure. :P )

All have a good night!

[SIZE=medium]Papi is a mon after my own heart; chatting flirting with dem nurses, thinking of food and pretending not to hear ya, lol. I’m so happy to read he’s done with the second surgery and wish him continued great health. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Whoa dem sauces look great and knowing your attention to detail I’m sure they’re great \o/ [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Wishing you & yours an awesome weekend muchacha!!![/SIZE]

GA Growhead said:
At least we can compare yeller j's next season. Always something else to trade.

Hey, that's an idea for growdown/throw-down challenge: who can grow the largest yeller J! :rofl: Make the potters go in-ground? It worked with Birgit--where is a good Kevin/Wayright when we need him? Although truthfully, not into challenges that much because my personal best has to be good enough--although the Birgit was fun--if not attached to outcome, no worries.

Perhaps we'll be spared deluges and atypical cold spells in May in 2014.

WalkGood said:
[SIZE=medium]Papi is a mon after my own heart; chatting flirting with dem nurses, thinking of food and pretending not to hear ya, lol. I’m so happy to read he’s done with the second surgery and wish him continued great health. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Whoa dem sauces look great and knowing your attention to detail I’m sure they’re great \o/ [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Wishing you & yours an awesome weekend muchacha!!![/SIZE]

Thank you Ramon! Forgive me, not been on here, too much before T-giving break (how come change name of Tally Mon?), and Daddy's gonna drive today. I can't stop him, so that will free me some. It's a dumb idea on his part but if he doesn't drive and go here and there soon, Mama's gonna kill him, which would contraindicate surgery.

Sauces were . . . carefully prepared and mon, house smelled so wonderful with that porcini, epresso and chocolate simmering.

Gonna check out ya powdering right now, mi hermano!

Back