• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

Congratulations on a great season, Annie.  And thanks for all the entertaining stories.

I had my own fire-eye experience the other day.  Was wearing gloves, seeding and stemming peppers for purée, and processing purée at the same time, so I was all over the kitchen.  Had my laptop on the table hooked up to some speakers, listening to SiriusXM while I worked.  Every now and then, I'd use my left little finger to scroll the track pad (change station, check email, etc).  When I finished, I cleaned up everything (that's usually the worst for me; when the water hits the pan) and went about my business.  Later, I was using the laptop and after awhile I rubbed my eyes.  Guess what I had forgotten to clean up?  The track pad.  Definitely the worst burn I've ever had working with these things.

annie57 said:
Penny, half of them were smoked, half not, a lot of 7 Pod Brown x Naga, Douglah, chocolate habs, ripe jalapeño--trying to balance heat and taste of 79B X Naga and Douglah in overall ferment; then fermented with organic dark raisins, onion, garlic, sea salt and Caldwell's Starter. Whey does work if going to process further--if going for pro-biotic use, might be less tasty--but my intention was to process. Fermented probably 50+ days or so. Once the ferment tested in low 3's or high 2's I capped and refrigerated until time for processing. Tasting ferments when testing for pH as they go, get an idea of what would be good with them in processing aka I love fermenting peppers!

I chickened out on fermenting this year, but will definitely give it a try next year.  Hopefully my fermenting culture will keep in the fridge 'til then.

annie57 said:

Balázs, yep: days. But . . . high 90's F retains color and taste in my opinion. Of course deseeding first speeds process but yeah, still takes days. Took a few weeks to dehydrate fresh pineapple for powder blends! :rofl:
Your opinion is correct and I agree ... Temp range on my Nesco is ~95°-155° (31°C - 71°C), that said as you say I’ve run her for weeks also … “low and slow” FTW achieves what one desires ^_^

"Scaled Back" Grow List for 2014:

Scotch Bonnet MoA yellow (Steve, Ramon/Walkgood)
Scotch Bonnet MoA red (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (mine)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (Judy/Pepperlover)
Bahamian Goat (Greg/PIC1 and Grant/JungleRain)
Jamaican Red Mushroom (Refining Fire)
Jamaican Red (mine 2013 from Ramon/Walkgood 2012-2013)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (mine and seed saved from Pia/Sanarda, others)
Chocolate Habañero (mine)
Elongated Black Hab (Refining Fire)
White Habañero (Jeff/Bodeen, Jason GA Growhead)

Madballz (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (Jason/GA Growhead)
Choc Bhut x Yellow 7 F5 (Grant/JungleRain)
White Bhut (Ramon/Walkgood)
White 7 (Jason/GA Growhead)
Peach Bhut (Judy/pepperlover)
Yellow Moruga (mine)
Chocolate Moruga (Refining Fire)
Red Jonah (Jamie/Romy6)
Yellow Jonah (Grant/Jungle Rain)
Butch T (Refining Fire)
Funky Reaper (Devv/Scott)
Barrackpore (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Chocolate Barrackpore (Jason/GA Growhead)
Burgundy 7 Pot (Jeff/Bodeen seed)
Monster Naga (probably same as King Naga, Judy/pepperlover)
Yellow Primo (Jamie/Romy6)
Naga Tabasco (Grant/Junglerain)
Tabasco (mine)
Red Thai (sample seed)
Goat’s Weed (Shane/ Judy)
Sunrise Scorpion (Jason/GA Growhead)
Fatalii Yellow (mine)
Bonda Ma Jacques (mine)
Yellow 7 Giant (mine and Jason/GA Growhead/Judy)
Yellow Brainstrain (mine/Judy)
7 Pod Brown x Naga (mine from Jamie/Romy6 2012)
Douglah (mine/Jamie Romy 6 from 2012)
Fish (sample seed)
Ancho (mild, sample seed)
Pasilla Bajilo (mild, sample seed)

Big Jim Numex (sample seed)

Cayenne—mine
Cracked Jal/Jalapa—mine
Jal M—(mine)
Giant Jalapeño (mine)
Serrano Tampequino (mine)

Aji Limon (my seed)
Yellow Bouquet (Kevin,/Wayright 2012, 2013 my seed)
Peruvian Serlano (Jamie/Romy6)
Trinidad Sweets (Jason/GA Growhead)
Trinidad Perfume (mine)
Tobago Seasoning (Judy/pepperlover)
Yellow CARDI (mine from seed)
Brown Egg (Jason/GA Growhead)
Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)

Am wondering how to trim above list down and not coming up with great ideas on how to.

With exceptions of some heirloom toms or just ones that I prefer to grow, will be buying a few tomato plants, mostly beefs. Growing one type of eggplant this year, Pintung Long. Only growing Big Bertha, Gypsy, Banana, Sweet Lilac, and Heavyweight as "garden-variety-sweet-bellesque" peppers. But 6 tomatillo plants planted close, in main flower bed, really rocked out some nice tomatillos, which plan to do again. Thanks for looking and everybody hit by this storm, let's stay safe and warm!

Editnth: (Edit to be continued as "it" goes and "it" isn't getting less ample. Gonna call guy tonight and see what he'll charge to take down a huge maple tree if he'll take wood as part of deal . . . and some pecan trees, all yucko black walnut not on this property that neighbor and squirrels hate but just shade too much . . . hmm.)

"Scaled Back"....list..................sharpened up or fine tuned.........Annie you have a plan and a great list of peppers.
Best of luck with the startup , I find it a natural high to get  the 1st seeds into the "dirt trays"

Annie have a safe and enjoyable Holiday Season !

That's an ambitious list Miz Annie! Best of luck with 2014. From my experience, the only pepper I ever grew that had a problem with Blossom End Rot was the Pasillas or their hybrids. Apparently they need more calcium than other varieties.

GA Growhead said:
Subsidized? I'm still trying to get that government grant for next year's grow. Research funding. yeah. that's what it is. Money for more capsicum research. :P

Your slimmed down list is not bad. Mine might not be as slimmed as I hoped. It still continues to grow.

"might not be as slimmed" . . . dang, Jason! But then, you blow my mind! Thank you so much for the new and tasty seeds of peppers to gwo :lol: :party: !

Devv said:
Nice list Annie, I see another busy year up ahead..

Stay warm!

Has it warmed up yet, Scott? When I saw Austin hit and got emails from Austin buddies bitching about "folks who couldn't drive on ice" (that statement is telling) while I laughed about them pointing a finger (while they attempted to drive on ice), since I went through attempted driving ice in '88 with one of them (to my protests), I thought of you, looked up your weather and went, "Sheeii**t!" And know you have the good sense to know unless have tank, don't try to drive ice. Hope it's much warmer for ya, hon!

Penny said:
I was going to say the same thing too, looks like another busy year coming up.... ;)
I hope so, Penny! :party:

Pinoy83 said:
nice and wonderfull list...its gonna be busy year and lots of harvest.....

I hope so . . . not much time between pulling plants in fall and starting seeds again! But that's just fine!

WalkGood said:
Muchacha you are a glutton for punishment great list :D

Ain't that the truth, mi hermano. :rofl:I added the white and peach bhut to the grow list to be less of a glutton for pain have more variety.

PIC 1 said:
"Scaled Back"....list..................sharpened up or fine tuned.........Annie you have a plan and a great list of peppers.
Best of luck with the startup , I find it a natural high to get  the 1st seeds into the "dirt trays"

Annie have a safe and enjoyable Holiday Season !

It does feel satisfying, eh Greg? Seeds in trays on mats :dance: and then if they live and prosper . . . :shocked:
You have a wonderful Holiday Season as well, dear!

stickman said:
That's an ambitious list Miz Annie! Best of luck with 2014. From my experience, the only pepper I ever grew that had a problem with Blossom End Rot was the Pasillas or their hybrids. Apparently they need more calcium than other varieties.

Hiya Rick! I had no problems with pasilla last year. Must've been that supersoil mix in the hole, and babying them as little ones with nutes. Latino family living across town, told them to come get some. Over-run with two plants (but as long as I live, in that terrible rain season we had from April to July, I'll never get 2 to perform that well again! :rofl: ) Since bone meal takes soooooo long to be available (and I did put a bit in seedling Promix base), fed with molasses since I think all peppers need more calcium . . . esp. when soil has been recently drowned and re-drowned. You have a good one!

OH, and PS . . . if you have any Gochu seeds . . . have a friend who hates HOT powder and peppers but is begging me to grow them. If not, cool. But that is WONDERFUL powder (and have had to kinda fib and tell her I'm running on empty with it). Have yet to begin ferments but just now getting some breathing room. Thanks for the powder, sweetie!

Awesome grow list, Annie!

And your recipes are awesome, too - bookmarked those pages
for future reference!  

I was  :rofl: when I read about your sleeve in the eye story!  I wish
I had a dollar for every time I've done that (and every time I say to
myself that I will be more careful in the future!).  I think the only solution
is to wear a bunny suit like the ones computer chip makers use in
their clean rooms.

Great glog, Annie.  Glad you liked the powders; thanks for posting them.

PaulG said:
Awesome grow list, Annie!

And your recipes are awesome, too - bookmarked those pages
for future reference!  

I was  :rofl: when I read about your sleeve in the eye story!  I wish
I had a dollar for every time I've done that (and every time I say to
myself that I will be more careful in the future!).  I think the only solution
is to wear a bunny suit like the ones computer chip makers use in
their clean rooms.

Great glog, Annie.  Glad you liked the powders; thanks for posting them.

Paul, I liked them all! "Naga Bee" is aptly named!

As for the powder (and other pepper incidents), I just accept it. I'm going to be tired. Going to be careful. Sure thing. But something's going to happen that isn't maybe oodles of fun. And if I come out with vision and other sensitive areas that might at least heal . . . (I want them there to heal :rofl: ) Have a great one, sweetie!

Jamison said:
What a gigantic list Annie! That sounds extremely warm. Good luck with all the germinating. Have fun in 2014!

Aw . . . not that gigantic, Jamison :shocked: . Are you singing "On Wisconsin" or "Rocky Top," primarily? I heard you were moving or are you in between or both? Wherever, enjoy! :party:

That's a heck of a list, Annie.  I don't see any ghost scorpions on it; may I ask why they didn't make the  cut?

annie57 said:
Editnth: (Edit to be continued as "it" goes and "it" isn't getting less ample. Gonna call guy tonight and see what he'll charge to take down a huge maple tree if he'll take wood as part of deal . . . and some pecan trees, all yucko black walnut not on this property that neighbor and squirrels hate but just shade too much . . . hmm.)

Maple, pecan, and walnut?  He should be paying you.

Back