• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any Cigar Smokers in the House

Hey thanks for looking Guys

Dang! Nice looking setup. I like to have a cigar now and then and use a pipe on occasion. I tend to smoke Dominican maduro cigars.

hot stuff said:
Dang! Nice looking setup. I like to have a cigar now and then and use a pipe on occasion. I tend to smoke Dominican maduro cigars.
I bet half the cigars in my humidor are Maduro ....I really like full bodied and full flavored cigars so the maduro leaf has what I want.

Very nice humidor. That's a beauty. I really like cigars. Especially when it's nice outside and I'm grilling.

My favorites are Perdomos, Acids, and Kristoffs.

Ozzy2001 said:
Very nice humidor. That's a beauty. I really like cigars. Especially when it's nice outside and I'm grilling.

My favorites are Perdomos, Acids, and Kristoffs.
I like the Perdomo and really like the Kristoffs...There is two full boxes of Kristoffs hiding in the back of the humi....Not a big fan of the flavored Acids but they are made by Drew estates....which makes a bunch of my favorite sticks like the Liga Privada #9.....MUWAT...Undercrown to name a few.

My favorite cigar is the Arturo Fuente 858 maduro.  I used to run a Tinder Box back in the day and so was spoiled on what I had available at cost.  This was back when Macanudo was the 'in' cigar of the day - before Cigar Aficionado started publishing.  I liked a few Davidoffs and Nat Shermans as well, but AF remains the one I come back to when I get the itch.   

im always wondering whats going to happen to the two monticristos and R&J and what ever other duplicate cigar brands are out there- once relations with cuba are normalized.

the trademark lawyers are going to eat on that shit for years and years...

and fucking chobia... either of them needs to get some mother fuckers out there slapping down counter fitters like they do with the high end scotch companies.

mcallen supposedly has like a dozen lawers dedicated to coutnerfitters in brazil and china.

Fakes aren't hard to spot if you study up a bit. Most of the ones people buy at resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean are fakes unfortunately. 

ColdSmoke said:
Fakes aren't hard to spot if you study up a bit. Most of the ones people buy at resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean are fakes unfortunately. 
 they absolutly are. heres the thing. you me and everyone who cares about cigars knows to only buy from the habanos sa branded stores, but friends and relatives do not know this.

my mom went on a cruise to Cozumel   and brought me back like 100 bucks worth of fake ass cohibas thinking i would be delighted. it never dawned on me to warn people off of buying cigars during a fucking cruise...

cubans are overhyped, overpriced bullshit anyway.

give me a decent Nicaraguan blend any day of the week.

queequeg152 said:
 they absolutly are. heres the thing. you me and everyone who cares about cigars knows to only buy from the habanos sa branded stores, but friends and relatives do not know this.

my mom went on a cruise to Cozumel   and brought me back like 100 bucks worth of fake ass cohibas thinking i would be delighted. it never dawned on me to warn people off of buying cigars during a f**king cruise...

cubans are overhyped, overpriced bullshit anyway.

give me a decent Nicaraguan blend any day of the week.
Exactly...My sister is heading to Cuba in a couple weeks.....I spent an hour educating her on spotting fakes....I still might not buy....the exchange rate kills us Canadians right now.......And there are some many great Nicaraguan cigar makers......My favorite Cuban that is half azz affordable are Bolivar Royal Coronas.

is that the bolivar that was in Cigar afficionado like back in like... 2009? i remember people raving about it being 8 bucks and very good.

coronas are lovely. there is something abotu the smaller ring guages that work better imo...  idk if its due to the higher wrapper to filler ratio or what, but i coronos are my second fav behind the classic double tapered w/ nipple figurado.   i admit to meerly loving the shape of the figurado though. the corona smokes better.

i swear, i bought like 3 CA mags in my entire life, and i remember a cheap bolivar being one of their top pics and being #1 bang for the buck.

queequeg152 said:
is that the bolivar that was in Cigar afficionado like back in like... 2009? i remember people raving about it being 8 bucks and very good.

It could have been....Bolivar is one the oldest cuban cigar companies out there......I smoke mostly Robusto's ....that is my favorite size......5X 50 is the perfect size.....Try buying that Bolivar for $8 know.
My local BM has them in the humi at around $20+.....but I can get them for $17 if I want them that bad......I do have a full box in my humi.

Real Cuban and Cohibas are awesome. I have a real good fake detector called my wife. She only has allergies around Cuban cigars. The downside is once Cuba is opened up, won't be able to go because she's allergic to something down there.

Again, if you study up fakes aren't hard to pick out. And Cubans aren't overhyped they just need more rest than non Cubans. Inexperienced smokers tend to light them up well before their prime. Sounds like you guys are paying way too much for these. I have a couple hook ups... Do you guys want to do a box split? Four guys, five sticks each?

some fakes are quite good. quite hard to distinguish.

were not talking about counterfitting currency here ... just copying cigar rings.  when i got these fakes, i went online to look at all the fake rings people posted up... the counterfits are not cheap shitty photocopy paper jobs. they are printed with fancy things... i forget waht they are called...   probably made in china.

cohiba bands are not even embossed... super easy to fake.

best thing you can do is just buy from legit habanos sa places... or places like duty free stores in airports etc. will be ass rape though.

cubans used to be quite alot better especially in the 1990s when cigars exploded and quality took a serious nose dive... but now days nic and dom sticks are VERRY VERTY GOOD... im sorry, but cuban cigars are not that great. its overhyped bullshit.

are they good? yea, very good? some definatly are.
but they are not better than even some of the mid priced tatajues imo. only smoked like 5 cubans though. so take that for what you will. im basing most of this on conversations with older smokers.

the same shit goes on with fucking cuban rum. some people think cuban rum is 100% far and away the best rum... i fucking hate rum, but seriously? hard to get=better in alot of peoples mind.

i should say not appreciably better... im sure there are plenty of cubans that are top notch, but what im saying is you can get the same quality in a shit load of non cuban cigars.

Here are a few sticks that I really enjoyed in the last couple of months.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

image1.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

Cohiba bands are not super easy to fake, c'mon man!!

Tonight's selection - 2011 Connisuer 1

image_zpsyfmuspul.jpeg

Last night... these are good but kind of unique because they smoke better fresh than aged.

image_zpsfuxyzigj.jpeg

ColdSmoke said:
Cohiba bands are not super easy to fake, c'mon man!!

i might be missing the sarcasm, but what makes you say that ?
from what i recall cohiba bands back then had no embossing like alot ofther bands.

my logic is that embossing is another step... probably costly owing to tooling and hence harder to replicate. could be wrong though. 
i think alot of printing is done with these steel plates things they wrap around drums... it might not be that hard to produce those steel drum printing things what with cnc junk or chemical etching,but wtf do i know
lol i wouldnt be suprised if counterfit bands were not from the same supplier from india/china/where ever.

ColdSmoke said:
Last night... these are good but kind of unique because they smoke better fresh than aged.

image_zpsfuxyzigj.jpeg
Liga Privada #9.....one of Drew Estates best sticks IMO....I have a few loose ones in my Humi......If you like the Liga's you should try the Undercrown...also a fantastic stick from Drew Estates.

Back