• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anybody ever seen a chilli like this?

JungleRain said:
Hi Guys, Heres another pic of the pods 3 weeks on;

IMG_2310.jpg

:lol: Definately not your common capsicum but does look like the pic at the chilliman.org! :P

It sorta looks like the Red Californian sweet bell pepper- Or our common sweet red capsicum in OZ. I grew a few last year.

This Pic was taken today, the pods are 2.5 cm long x 1 cm wide
They're just starting to change color, but this could be due to the weather turning cold

IMG_2316.jpg

Here is another photo, 3 weeks later.
There's not much difference as the temperature is getting colder now, so I have brought it inside.

IMG_2376.jpg

Here is an update on this unusual chilli, the pod is about 2.5 cm long and 1 cm wide, 6 weeks later it is now just begining to change color.

IMG_2555.jpg
IMG_2556.jpg
IMG_2557.jpg

very odd and cool looking, save the seeds and you might be able to start breeding your mutant into a new cultivar :)

I don't think I can match the 'Triple threat' but I just took a photo of a piri piri that seems to be growing horns and a beard... :lol:

I might post it later for comparison. :)

From a strange angle, those triple pods look like camel snouts...

Do you grow bell peppers or what I believe the Aussies call simply "Capsicums"? This almost looks like it got crossed with a bell or something.

Edit: Fivestar FAIL! Looks like this suggestion has already been made several times. However, 7 months from pollinated flower to ripe chile? I guess that's cause these have been inside the whole time? Wow, that's a super long season pepper if not!

FiveStar said:
Do you grow bell peppers or what I believe the Aussies call simply "Capsicums"? This almost looks like it got crossed with a bell or something.

Edit: Fivestar FAIL! Looks like this suggestion has already been made several times. However, 7 months from pollinated flower to ripe chile? I guess that's cause these have been inside the whole time? Wow, that's a super long season pepper if not!

No I don't grow any Bell peppers here.:hell: I've got no idea about this one, I'll have to get the seeds and taste the pod.
The Plant was grown very late in the season from a few spare seeds around mid summer but yeh almost 7 months? to mature...

Aji Chombo said:
I don't think I can match the 'Triple threat' but I just took a photo of a piri piri that seems to be growing horns and a beard... :lol:

I might post it later for comparison. :)

From a strange angle, those triple pods look like camel snouts...

what if I turned the pod upside down and you looked at it from a different angle, then you'd have a camel t_ _ ;)...hey maybe thats what I should call it! there's the peter pepper!!!

Back