beer ASK WHEEBZ

So I took a headfirst dive and went to the local brew store and bought one of their kits that is supposed to include everything I need to start my brewing. The ingredient kit is Brewer's Best American Pale Ale, http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/New%20BB%20Recipes/1013%20American%20Pale%20Ale.pdf which comes with two 3.3lb cans of ME, hops, dry yeast, grains, and grain bag.

First question is, is this sort of kit considered partial extract since I have to seep my own grains?

The lady at the homebrew store said this kit would include dry yeast where the instructions call for me to hydrate, however she recommmened I do not hydrate the yeast. Does this sound right? Am I supposed to just pitch the yeast as is, straight out of the packet?

The only thing I don't have is a large enough kettle to boil all this in. I have to go get one this weekend. Will a 16qt be big enough for this use plus future uses with out the need to upgrade size?

Brewkit.jpg

Yes to all of your questions

It is a partial, no you dont have to rehydrate, just dump the yeast on top of the beer once its at room temp

and 16qt will be fine if you plan on staying extract

what you can do is just boil like 3 gallons of water, add your extract and your hops, then cool that down and top up the fermenter with cold water to get your 5.5 gallons

If you plan on going all grain, you will need at least a 7 gallon pot just to be safe

Awesome. I wanted to make sure my understanding of this was accurate. Thank you much.

Now I'm just waiting to see a cooling trend in the outside temps, and then it is brew on! Hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Yup. No end in sight it would appear.

I'm thinkin I'm going to give it another 2 weeks, and then I may just have to go evaporation cooling method with a wet towel. I'm thirsty and I got to do what I got to do to have me brew.

If all works out well and I enjoy doing this and wish to continue brewing, I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of cooler set up, such as son of fermentation cooler or Fridge + temp control.

Freakin Florida man, and its lack of coolness and basements.

Yeah mid to high 70's. The lowest my house ever goes is for about 8 hours over night when we turn it down to 74. Otherwise its usually 76-78. Its too frickin expesive to have it any lower.

Hey Wheebz - is today Scovie Special tapping day???????????

Can't wait to hear what folks think of your brewing juju for that one! :D
Haaaaaaave Fuuuuuuuun!!!!!! (and stay off the pole!)

....ooops! Nevermind! I found ya on TR - cool deal Dude!!!! :)

Coffee brewed and grains steeping, now for some good brewing music.

Hummm, since I'm making Pumpkin Ale it kind of follows that the brew jam should be.....

Yep, you guessed it.....

Smashing Pumpkins

Awesome. You'll be one of the few people actually enjoying a pumpkin beer during its appropriate season.

Have you made pumpkin brews prior to this one?

What style of pumpkin you going for? I like the spiced, typical pumpkin pie tasting ones.

HTH, the basics recipe is above and yeah Pumpkin Pie style. The wort was tasty as all get out and the OG was about 1.058 or 59.

iPhone pic so it's a bit fuzzy

03F59B51-91A0-4C17-8099-3AB9EA4545D7-2544-0000034A7BE33290.jpg

Planning to let it go 1 week in the Primary then rack it off of the pumpkin and give it 2 weeks Secondary then into the bottling bucket with 3/4th cup sugar. 6 gallons are in the fermenter so I'll bottle 1 gallon and the rest go into a keg and will condition there. The Keg will go to the family Christmas party but I'll have a couple of bottles to sample and for a couple of friends to try.

Well, after a 20 hour lag while the yeast replicated enough to handle the amount of sugars in the wort, they're gettin Jiggy wid it! Got up this morning to a wonderful Pumpkin Pie scent in the house and this:

B92E9708-56A3-479C-9F5D-1FDE911FBD1B-597-000000B72D51FD67.jpg

Wheebz, am I right after about 3 days it'll settle down and stop blowing off? Since there is limited space in that closet, I think I'm going to put a large trash bag around it to catch the mess and then when it settles down I can clean it up. Guess next time I should get a blow off tube to use.

Edit: ok after a second cleanup I rigged up a blow off and wrapped the fermenter in a black yard trash bag. When I rack it into a secondary I can add an airlock right now it's bubbling like mad and the whole house smells great.

Have a Great time at Great American Beer Fest wheebz. Show them all what Florida Beer is all about and bring back some Gold!

DUDE!!! You're going to be in Denver?!?!

Why didn't you say something? Scovie & I could have driven down to say "Hi!"

(naw, we wouldn't have...but fun to joke about!)

Have a GREAT time Wheebz!!!!! :D

Pumpkin Ale racked to the secondary:

2C770D3B-4311-4E80-937C-AACAA1F5C9BE-1821-00000276020FF927.jpg

Look at that nice dark color

CA7389AD-E69C-4BCB-B14C-731728FA91FF-1821-0000027616AA3BD4.jpg

OG was 1.065 and today's SG was 1.015, so about 6.8% ABV right now.

E23C4C46-7FEC-41BF-ADEF-48F5834BE148-1821-000002761CEC61E2.jpg

2 more weeks and I'll be racking 5 gallons to a keg and bottling 1 gallon.

Cheers wheebz, I know your partying it up Brewmaster style.
RM

I wish I could smell that through the internet! It looks like its going to be great!

How long are you going to let them bottle/keg condition for before drankin?

Back