beer ASK WHEEBZ

The DME, do I want to use light, amber, dark, Extra Dark. my gut is saying Amber or Dark but what does my gut know yet?
Also, the C-60, would that be 60LV Crystal?

light

when I used to do extract brewing, i used light for everything, and allowed the specialty grains to do the rest

and yes, crystal 60

All right, great to know thanks wheebz. So based on this here:s what I've come up with and according to BrewLab the numbers should be:

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.020
Bitterness: 22 IBU
Color: 25 SRM
ABV: 8.6%

Ingredients:
9lbs Amber or Dark DME
6oz Crystal Malt 60LV
4oz Caramunich 60LV
4oz Chocolate Malt
1oz Fuggles 4.7AA (60 minute boil)
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
3lbs Pumpkin (small baking ones)
1/2oz Fuggles 4.7AA Finishing Hops
2 tsp. Allspice
2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 tsp. Ginger
2 tsp. Cloves
2 tsp. Cinnamon

Process:

2 days prior to brew day:
Prepare yeast starter with Pint of water and ½ cup DME. Cool starter wort to fermenting temp and pitch yeast. Cork top with bubbler.

Day before brew day:
Boil 3 Gallons water and add to fermenter the place in Fridge to chill.

Brew day:
Cut Pumpkin into pieces and bake for 20 minutes at 250 degrees F.
Steep Crystal Malt, Caramunich and Chocolate Malt in 1 gallon of water for 30 - 45 minutes at 150 degrees F.
Add additional water up to 3 gallons and add the DME and bring to a boil.
Once boil is achieved reduce heat a bit to help prevent boil overs.
When Hot Break is achieved, add boil hops and begin 60 minute boil time.
30 minutes bring out the fermenter and agitate the heck out of it.
10 minutes prior to flame out add Pumpkin
Flame out Whirlpool adding Finishing Hops, Allspice, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cloves and Cinnamon.
Remove boil pot to sink and Ice bath to cool.
When wort is below 80 degrees F, aggressively pour wort into Fermenter and pitch yeast.
Put lid on and add bubbler.

Fermenting:
(temp about 68 degrees F)
Primary 4 Days then rack off of pumpkin to secondary
Secondary 2 weeks
Prep priming sugar and add to Keg then rack wort to keg. Seal up and allow to condition for 2 weeks

Any final thoughts other than I need to send a bottle or 2 to you to review?

It won't go boom but at higher temps you taking a chance on getting some fusel alcohols and other off flavors from the yeast going crazy and ferementing faster due to the higher temps. wheebz will be back in here soon and can tell you more. If nothing else wrap a good thick WET towel around it and keep it wet for the fermentation period. What's you plan, 10 days primary then bottle, 7 days primary and rack to secondary for 2 weeks then bottle....?

Thats the downside of florida, you can really only brew during the winter time if you have no ways of temp control

chest freezer/refridgerator, temp controller, and there you have it

OR

do a bunch of belgians and saisons like my buddy mike does, ferments all that stuff at 75 degrees which is what he keeps his house at

Yeah, that's wheebz baby! The Wonderful Wizard of Beer!

BeerWizard.jpg

the beard looks right,

Hummmm,

this must be from before your hair rebelled against you, kinda like mine is doing now :)

Yep, I think your right, must by you

Signed Beer Wizard Apprentice :cool:

What's you plan, 10 days primary then bottle, 7 days primary and rack to secondary for 2 weeks then bottle....?

Well I didn't actually have set plan yet. But now that I know its at least possible to brew a decent beer in the winter I'm gonna begin my research so I can be ready to go when it cools down.

Thats the downside of florida, you can really only brew during the winter time if you have no ways of temp control

chest freezer/refridgerator, temp controller, and there you have it

OR

do a bunch of belgians and saisons like my buddy mike does, ferments all that stuff at 75 degrees which is what he keeps his house at

Interesting. Belgians are my favorite style. I may go that route then. I got the how to brew book by john palmer, so I'mma begin reading.

Can cider be fermented at 75? If so I wanna try a batch of that too.

HTH, your in the right place to ask questions. As the saying goes Membership has it's benefits and one of those is being able to ask wheebz, a profession brewer, questions about brewing.

I keep my house set about 70 and have done several brews that came out fine including my first one which spent aboout 6 hours out in my garage at 90 something and turned out to be a really nice Brown Ale but when in doubt,

Ask wheebz!

Damn, my electricity bill would be crazy expensive if I kept my house at 70. The lowest we go is 74, and thats usually only for 8 hours over night. The rest of the time its usually 76-78. So I'd definitely have to build a cooler or something of the sort.

Anyone ever build one of these? Maybe this is a common question, me know not. The concept seems easy enough though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXGUrmvedIo&feature=related

Just got back from droping 2 C notes at the brew store. Picked up a new 5 gal brewpot and a second Ale Pale plus a couple of things that needed to be replaced after the puppy got ahold of them. I have all the ingredients now for the 2 brews I'm planning. Now I just need to get my brew sheets in order. Shooting to start the Pumpkin Ale Saturday morning and then after I rack it off of the pumpkin and into the secondary I'll start the other one we talked about. Gotta say I'm really looking forward to this.

Congrat wheebz, that is really fantastic and to have it happen right before the GABF, will it help to highlight Darwins presentation out there?

Back