beer ASK WHEEBZ

Yeah you got it right. Don't over think it. Just kind of jump in and get it started. My first batch i way over complicated it. Just do it, and you will make beer.

GREAT beer on the other hand will come with practice and experience

OK, I do have a follow question after all =) ...

I'm planning to cool the wort down in my sink in the 2 gal SS pot ...

About how many bags of ice should I pick-up for an ice bath? ...

Thanks in advance!

depends on how big the sink is

basically if you are cooling down a single gallon of wort, like 2 5 pound bags should be more than enough

you wanna do an ice water bath, not just straight ice

wheebz said:
depends on how big the sink is

basically if you are cooling down a single gallon of wort, like 2 5 pound bags should be more than enough

you wanna do an ice water bath, not just straight ice

certainly ... ice slurry ... i'll pick up three just to be sure, and i'll be happy to have the difference for weekend beverages, anyways ...

thanks ...

OK, more ASK WHEEBZ!

1) Which is generally considered good form by the community, using metric, or imperial?

2) I've just mashed in to 160F water, and my slurry is like 150F now, and I'm supposed to be soaking/cooking where readings from different areas in the pot are all within the range of 144F - 152F. But, for the sake of discussion, what is optimal here - 144F, 148F (the mid-point of the "range" +/- 4F), or 152F?

3) If you are mashing out to 170F, is that so that your wort and sparge water (heated separately) are the same temperature? I ask, because my brain is better served by laying down a rule, like "don't pour hotter water into your hot grain mash, or you'll _____ your wort."

4) When a recipe says to re-circulate the wort through grain once, they mean for you to move your strainer and create a different lauter tun using a 2nd vessel, right? I think we're at 3 vessel instances now, re-using the initial vessel and so only requiring two. So, probably really would want a 2nd SS pot, ideally (as it turns out, I have other pots I can use, but I might just buy a 2nd one because the widened handles feel nice and secure).

5) Is there a target temp for the "light boil," of the boil? I have a lot of temperature probes and measuring devices, and there's no sense not using things that I already have. This is a 90 minute boil, specifically, and then it says to turn off the heat. This is the part where the idea, ideally, is to get that down to 70F as quickly as possible, right? ...

6) After pitching the yeast, am I to spray palm w/ sanitizer and shake manually to oxygenate the yeast - and, about how long to shake (5s, 30s, 1m+)? ...

7) They are kind of specific about placing the blow off tube one inch into the stopper, but they don't clarify if they mean an inch past the top or the bottom of the stopper. Basically, is the blow off tube supposed to be an inch inside the glass under the stopper?

They have the instructions written such that they are trying to teach the lingo (lauter tun, mash, sparge etc) along the way, but it kind of muddies their intent for trying to be slick ...

Thanks in advance!

8) "Racking to secondary" ... not sure of the nuance of this. Most of the more technical stuff I've come across seems to suggest doing this, but there's *an* opinion out there that it's necessary at 3 gal batch, and I'm assuming that would be even more true at 1 gal, correspondingly. That quote, "Racking to secondary is unnecessary at the homebrew scale (unless you are racking onto fruit, etc.). This is a hold-over from professional brewing where they need to get the beer off the yeast cake to prevent off-flavors from cell autolysis. Autolysis is insignificant at the homebrew scale. You're better off just keeping the beer in the primary fermentation vessel for a few weeks. Racking to secondary just exposes you to the unnecessary risk of contamination and oxidization."

Is there a physical difference in primary and secondary fermenter's at the brewery level, that's just simplified away at home or ?

grantmichaels said:
OK, more ASK WHEEBZ!

1) Which is generally considered good form by the community, using metric, or imperial?

2) I've just mashed in to 160F water, and my slurry is like 150F now, and I'm supposed to be soaking/cooking where readings from different areas in the pot are all within the range of 144F - 152F. But, for the sake of discussion, what is optimal here - 144F, 148F (the mid-point of the "range" +/- 4F), or 152F?

3) If you are mashing out to 170F, is that so that your wort and sparge water (heated separately) are the same temperature? I ask, because my brain is better served by laying down a rule, like "don't pour hotter water into your hot grain mash, or you'll _____ your wort."

4) When a recipe says to re-circulate the wort through grain once, they mean for you to move your strainer and create a different lauter tun using a 2nd vessel, right? I think we're at 3 vessel instances now, re-using the initial vessel and so only requiring two. So, probably really would want a 2nd SS pot, ideally (as it turns out, I have other pots I can use, but I might just buy a 2nd one because the widened handles feel nice and secure).

5) Is there a target temp for the "light boil," of the boil? I have a lot of temperature probes and measuring devices, and there's no sense not using things that I already have. This is a 90 minute boil, specifically, and then it says to turn off the heat. This is the part where the idea, ideally, is to get that down to 70F as quickly as possible, right? ...

6) After pitching the yeast, am I to spray palm w/ sanitizer and shake manually to oxygenate the yeast - and, about how long to shake (5s, 30s, 1m+)? ...

7) They are kind of specific about placing the blow off tube one inch into the stopper, but they don't clarify if they mean an inch past the top or the bottom of the stopper. Basically, is the blow off tube supposed to be an inch inside the glass under the stopper?

They have the instructions written such that they are trying to teach the lingo (lauter tun, mash, sparge etc) along the way, but it kind of muddies their intent for trying to be slick ...

Thanks in advance!
 1. Depends on whats easier for you. I tend to use both now interchangeably as the current system I am on is in metric and celcius, but all my previous systems have been imperial and fahrenheit

2. All depends on what beer you are making. If you are doing a low ABV stout like I think you are, you want to shoot for 153-154 throughout the entire mash tun/pot as a general rule. Depending on beer style and what you want your final outcome depends on the temp that you mash in at.

3. The whole "mash out" thing is debateable. I do it on my current system because I have the ability to raise my mash temp without using more water, and it helps because I have a separate mash tun and lauter tun. Don't worry about doing that. Basically the way I do it is I never sparge with water hotter than 170, and typically its around 166 to 168 depending on the beer. 

4. Basically you are keeping your grain in the same mash tun, you are just pulling it off the bottom and pouring it right back on top. This is to set your grain bed and to filter out any of the large particulates that would instead go into the kettle. Its called vorlaught. 

5. There is no light boil. You are either boiling or not boiling. There is no need for you to do a 90 minute boil for 1 gallon. Its going to boil very vigorously anyways. Once you are done boiling, I yank it off the stove and throw it into your ice bath and drop it to 70ish as fast as possible. Prevents the formation of DMS pre-cursors. 

6. Its only 1 gallon. You do not need to oxygenate it. You will get enough in there from pouring it into the carboy/growler you are fermenting in, not to mention your yeast only have to acclimate to a 1 gallon amount of wort. No stress there.

7. Just stick it in there. I dont have the blow off tube sticking lower than the stopper, but it really doesnt matter 
we dont have primary and secondary fermenters, we have conical fermenters which allow you to dump your yeast down the drain without transferring from vessel to vessel. 

Its not that big of a deal at all for 1 gallon. Hell depending on what you are doing, its not a huge deal for 5 gallons either. Its more for clarification and conditioning than anything else.

Basically once you are done primary fermentation, i.e. no more bubbles, let it sit for another 3 or 4 days for the yeast to eat up all the bad shit it produced during fermentation, then bottle it, let it carb, and toss them things in the fridge.

What I used to do is go from primary into a secondary and add some sort of clarifiying agent in the secondary fermenter and crash it down to 32 degrees and let it sit for 7 days, then transfer it into a corny keg, carbonate it, and either serve it clear and carbonated, or use a beer gun and bottle it so its clear and carbonated with no sediment in the bottles. Definitely helps when it comes to presentation, especially when you are judging beers

Awesome. Thanks a ton, again.

I have a pretty good idea what I'm supposed to do now, really (I think).

I need to do a trial run moving water around using the siphon, and I need to spend some time on Youtube watching people sanitizing their gear ...

I decided to pick up one of those cooling sacks like the one that HTH had in his thread, after reading what you've said about fermenting temp ...

He was getting a 10 point drop from a frozen gallon per day, and I keep my house cooler than he does (72-74F, here) ...

I'll do the 1st in the bathtub w/ towel-wicks and ice so as not to push back the brew-day, again ...

I might as well have slaved away the 1st time, for the karma ... it's not like I don't work from home these days, anyways =) ...

Thanks, man ...

I like the Aussie Home Brewer forum, a lot of my initial help in brewing before I got to know wheebz came from a great bunch of home brewer on there and if I pulled any recipes from them they were metric so I've kept up on both, also having a good conversion app on the IPhone or tablet is a good idea too. My preference leans towards metric from so many years living in Europe and besides I'm not an Imperial Storm Trooper :)

Instead of buying more SS pots, go find a couple of 5 gallon Food Grade plastic buckets, Pollo Loco will give them or sellthem to you really cheap. In one drill a 1" hole a little bit from the bottom and put a spigot in like in your bottling bucket. Turn the second one bottom side up and with a 1/4" drill bit cover the bottom with holes. Remove the excess bits of plastic and slip that one into the other one and you have a Lauter Tun. Use a pitcher to catch the wort as it comes out of the spigot and carefully pour it back over the grains. A continuous sparge can easily be set up with this too.

9) Aside from the obvious need to padlock, anything wrong w/ a chest freezer under roof, but outside? 

With a controller to maintain the temperature, you bet. When I initially built my controller the fridge it was connected to was in the garage, in Orlando and it maintained the temp perfectly.

Just some thoughts on a couple of your questions. wheebz can tell us if I'm totally off target here.:cool:
Cheers

Also, I happen to have 3-4 really thick styrofoam coolers that SRF uses to ship meat w/ dry ice ...

I would think that I can put the 1 gal fermenter inside w/ a blow-off tube and put a couple of inches of cold water in there with it and keep the temp cool for a couple of days without too much fanfare ... especially since it'll be over the weekend, but really, I work from here mostly anyways ...

I'll have to take everything into consideration in a couple of months and see how to proceed, but for now, given the circumstances of working from home, the things I already have around, the bag seemed like an easy choice for the part of the primary fermentation once you've moved from blow-off tube to airlock ...

Getting a chest freezer/controller would be part of increasing my batch size, which I'm kind of reluctant to do too soon, because a) I could use the experience of brewing a lot initially I'm sure, and b) I don't drink that much beer =)

The 2nd SS pot I bought so that I can brew two beers at once ... I'll be able to have an ample supply of strike water on hand for brew day from the sansaire (give it a head start hours earlier, or overnight) ...

You could freeze a couple of 20 ounce coke bottles filled with water and put in there like HTH does and just swap them out as needed. Then you don't have to worry about spilling / changing water out.

I have enough here to get started, though, so the next move it to just move some water from vessel to vessel w/ the siphon later, watch some folks sanitize their equipment on youtube, and then tomorrow I'll run out and buy a half dozen bags of ice to have around for a couple of days, and I'll try to do at least a pair of brews this weekend to get some stuff in jugs =) ...

I'll add the chest freezer and controller once I'm sure what size/config will be best for me ... I don't want to make that decision prematurely and have to do a do-over on an over-sized item ...
* For the sake of good science, I'll do the same beer at the same time, one in the SS's on the range, and one using the sous vide equipment to supply the hot water (160F and 170F) and take a bunch of measurements and metrics and do a side-by-side ... I eat that kind of thing up.

And now to blow your mind.

Boiling temp @ my altitude is 202 degrees.
So all other temps required are (atmospherically) "hotter" than the actual number on the thermometer by a certain ratio.

Keep the same temps as required?
Increase time?
Lower temp?

I have already figured the yeast doesn't give a damn. ;)

And regular methods work, just wondering if I could "better" the results, as the last batch came out a bit off.

That is more of a density issue than an actual temperature factor. Boiling is a change of state of matter, while individual temperatures are still those temperatures. 

I would ASSUME, that if you wanted to hit 154 mash, you would go for a 154 mash regardless of your altitude. Time shouldnt be a factor. As far as fermentation temps, apply the same that you would if you were at sea level

Still the same temps, sure.
But volitiles escape more rapidly at a lower atmospheric pressure.

I guess I could cook in my still, capture and condense the steam, and add it back later.

Dear Wheebz -

I hear people talking about gravity and IBU's and meters etc, but I've been paying closer attention to what they are physically doing than what they are saying ... while I did order a meter, I was thinking I would just follow the instructions the first time and cross my fingers, to have less to think about while I'm trying to execute ...

If it's an important diagnostic in the event of failure, though, I might want to try to take it ... since I don't know, and you do, I'll do whichever seems prudent to you - try to get metrics, or just KISS?

Thanks!

Dear Wheebz -

I see almost everyone homebrewing on YT testing their mash sugars w/ iodine, but nobody selling iodine (amazon & midwest) that's not for cleaning - which leads me to assume it's 'just' drugstore iodine. But that comes in at least both 2.5 and 5 percent strengths, so I'm curious what iodine is used to check mash sugars?

Thanks!

Back