beer ASK WHEEBZ

The beer that has my heart and complete attention right now, is Founders Curmudgeon ...

I've never had something like this.

It's the most amazing taste/mouthfeel of an ale, to my liking, that I've ever had ... or even close.

I like it more than the Gulden Draak, more than Negra Modelo, more than Dead Guy Ale ... more than everything that's not stout-dark, EVER.

I liked the Ryeght Angle IPA I had a few weeks ago too, but not as much as this ...

Having something like BC's BCS and Curmudgeon to switch hit between probably should me my mid-range homebrewing goal.

Ten Fidy's almost as palatable to me as BCS, but not quite ... that shit was delicioso when I had it at WOB a few weeks back ...

grantmichaels said:

I knew you weren't going to like the Fuggles, LOL ...

#RM #notmyrecipe

Hahaha ...
#dontgoputtingtheblameinme
I just said that it looked like something you'd like

Though I am wondering how they got the peanut butter in the brew.

Two weeks ago, I would have been all "woo hoo, creamy delish peanut butter brew" ... no doubt, so I have to own that ...

But whereas the chocolate stouts were my gateway variety, it's no different in beer than in food and dessert for me ...

I like my toasty, caramel, toffee, and especially brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses notes ...

I didn't even really like the last Rogue Double Chocolate that I had, or really any of the chocolate's ...

Guess I've found what appears to be a greener pasture for the moment - however fleeting it may be!! Haha ...

Wheebz, have you had Big Gruesome from Spring House?  It is another Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout.  I like it mucho.  Just curious of your thoughts.  Also, call me, we need to go drink some beers.

ASK WHEEBZ -

BIG PIMPIN' FOR WHAT?!??

LET'S SEE SOME HOMEBREW DUDE!   =)

* Picked up some extra WLP001 w/ my order, for a future Wheebz brew ;) ...

** Ordered a water test kit from Ward Labs ...

Wheebz has been on hiatus. No interwebs for the next couple months or so

Jay

Fuck spring house everything. If you would know what I know about Matt you would walk away from all his stuff

Grant. I don't home brew anymore. I can't do it. Personal shit not new brewing shit

Ask Wheebz -

Ward's sample - straight up (after 5 min run-off), or through de-chlorination tap filter ...

I feel like sending it off straight up and learning what the chlorine story is ...

And then maybe sending a 2nd one later, post filter ...

Any thoughts? ... or RM? ... or anyone? ...

De-Chlorination isn't that big of a deal. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and put an air stone in it for an hour or 2 and it will be good to go or just let it sit overnight and gas off. By morning it should be good to go. you could even let it boil for 15 minutes and then into one of your freezers at 35 dF overnight and be good to go. It's what a lot of us do for the water for our plants.

Honestly it's the levels of the other minerals and salts that are in our water that concern me more. Wheebz said to run it through an Activated charcoal filter. Honestly if you want to get as much out as you can then get an R.O. filter and you'll be set. For some brews though you want there to be some mineral content.

From Palmers book

Water Profiles From Notable Brewing Cities
[SIZE=10.5pt]City                  Calcium(Ca+2)   Magnesium(Mg+2)        Bicarbonate(HCO3-1)    SO4-2     Na+1       Cl-1         Beer Style[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Pilsen                 10                            3                                  3                              4          3          4          Pilsener[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Dortmund           225                         40                                220                          120      60        60        Export Lager[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Vienna               163                         68                                243                           216      8          39        Vienna Lager[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Munich               109                        21                                171                            79        2          36        Oktoberfest[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]London               52                          32                                104                            32        86        34        British Bitter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Edinburgh          100                        18                                160                            105      20        45        Scottish Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Burton                352                        24                                320                            820      44        16        India Pale Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Dublin                118                        4                                  319                             54        12        19        Dry Stout[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
Sources 
Burton: "The Practical Brewer", p. 10, 
Dortmund Noonen, G., "New Brewing Lager Beer"
Dublin "The Practical Brewer", p. 10,
Edinburgh
London "Fermentation Technology", p. 13, Westermann and Huige
Munich 
Pilsen "American Handy Book", 2:790, Wahl-Henius, 1902
Vienna
Pilsen - The very low hardness and alkalinity allow the proper mash pH to be reached with only base malts, achieving the soft rich flavor of fresh bread. The lack of sulfate provides for a mellow hop bitterness that does not overpower the soft maltiness; noble hop aroma is emphasized.
Dortmund - Another city famous for pale lagers, Dortmund Export has less hop character than a Pilsner, with a more assertive malt character due to the higher levels of all minerals. The balance of the minerals is very similar to Vienna, but the beer is bolder, drier, and lighter in color.
Vienna - The water of this city is similar to Dortmund, but lacks the level of calcium to balance the carbonates, and lacks as well the sodium and chloride for flavor. Attempts to imitate Dortmund Export failed miserably until a percentage of toasted malt was added to balance the mash, and Vienna's famous red-amber lagers were born.
Munich - Although moderate in most minerals, alkalinity from carbonates is high. The smooth flavors of the dunkels, bocks and oktoberfests of the region show the success of using dark malts to balance the carbonates and acidify the mash. The relatively low sulfate content provides for a mellow hop bitterness that lets the malt flavor dominate.
London - The higher carbonate level dictated the use of more dark malts to balance the mash, but the chloride and high sodium content also smoothed the flavors out, resulting in the well-known ruby-dark porters and copper-colored pale ales.
Edinburgh - Think of misty Scottish evenings and you think of strong Scottish ale - dark ruby highlights, a sweet malty beer with a mellow hop finish. The water is similar to London's but with a bit more bicarbonate and sulfate, making a beer that can embrace a heavier malt body while using less hops to achieve balance.
Burton-on-Trent - Compared to London, the calcium and sulfate are remarkably high, but the hardness and alkalinity are balanced to nearly the degree of Pilsen. The high level of sulfate and low level of sodium produce an assertive, clean hop bitterness. Compared to the ales of London, Burton ales are paler, but much more bitter, although the bitterness is balanced by the higher alcohol and body of these ales.
Dublin - Famous for its stout, Dublin has the highest bicarbonate concentration of the cities of the British Isles, and Ireland embraces it with the darkest, maltiest beer in the world. The low levels of sodium, chloride and sulfate create an unobtrusive hop bitterness to properly balance all of the malt.

I'm more weighing the pro's and con's of which results i'd like more ...

I would be inclined to sent a sample run through a dechlorination filter, since that's the water I intend to use to brew (I have one already) ...

But I was kind of curious about the levels of the chlorine and or chlorimines or chlorimide or whatever ... and would kind of like to know what my water is straight out of tap, too ...

I'm planning to address water chemistry from the start, against all of the wisdom ... you know, just being me =)

I would never brew any beer in Florida without running it through some sort of carbon filtration first

Get a carbon filter for under your sink for your brew water, run water through it for a good 10 minutes or so to prep the filter, and then take a sample post filter and send that in to Ward

from there on, use the carbon filtered water for your brew water, and then make adjustments to the minerals accordingly for the type of beer you want to brew

to be honest, there are a lot more factors that you have to do right on a home brew level that far supersede anything you would have to do for mineral additions

water additions should be the last thing you would want to focus on, but you definitely want de-chlorinated water, that is a huge one

wheebz said:
I would never brew any beer in Florida without running it through some sort of carbon filtration first

Get a carbon filter for under your sink for your brew water, run water through it for a good 10 minutes or so to prep the filter, and then take a sample post filter and send that in to Ward

from there on, use the carbon filtered water for your brew water, and then make adjustments to the minerals accordingly for the type of beer you want to brew

to be honest, there are a lot more factors that you have to do right on a home brew level that far supersede anything you would have to do for mineral additions

water additions should be the last thing you would want to focus on, but you definitely want de-chlorinated water, that is a huge one

yup, i have a filter for the tap - one w/ a meter so I know how to replace it to ensure it's efficacy ...

my first thought was to send a filtered sample, but then i got into thinking about how one filter might not filter the same as the next, and that it might be better to send the raw sample and know it's going to come back w/ itemization of the chlor* molecules and try to address the whole sample ...

i'll pull a sample this evening at the time of day i'd likely brew, and send it off tomorrow and we'll see ...

thanks ...

ASK WHEEBZ -

Is yeast nutrient more for starter's and less for fermentation, as the wort is pretty rich in substrate unless it's a pretty exceptional amount of adjust, or particularly gravity? ...

Do I have it right? ...

Thanks!

I use nutrients all the time

better to have more than not enough

allows for a completely healthy fermentation at any temps, and a complete fermentation, and can help prevent them by dying off too soon and stalling

Personally I think yeast nutrients for starters isnt necessary

thats only providing nutrients for the yeast that take up the amount in the starter. Once you pitch the starter, the yeast propagate again and build up volume to their new wort, and those new yeasts need the nutrients as much if not more than the yeast that make up the starter, since they will be undergoing a completely anaerobic fermentation

Back