beer ASK WHEEBZ

Brother, there are basically 2 types of people and several levels of gray between them but there are those that play it safe and take the sure thing. They used to be refered to as Company Men. Then there are those who put it all out there on the line. They take the risk and rise up to the challenge. They're know as Entrepreneurs. Life can be good, bad or in between either way you go. The reward however for those willing to take the risk can be tremendous and that's where I see you. You are the risk taker with that entrepreneurial spirit who will out and put his heart and soul into making his dream come true. Your going to have your difficulties that have to be overcome, I don't think there has ever been a start up that didn't have to go through them. With your family behind you and your friends here to cheer you on I think you have a lot going for you. Take a look at the ideas Grant gave to help with starter money, Kickstarter has a great reputation and could be just the ticket to get you there. I honestly think that the only way you're not going to make is to decide not to do it.

Cheers,
RM 

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432421869.167546.jpg

400# Boar's Head franks in 3bbl at JDubs earlier ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432421915.604258.jpg

#kobayashi

LOL.

RocketMan said:
Grant, when I started brewing I asked Wheebz a thousand questions about shit I'd read too. Here's the secret that I learned about brewing, there are brewers all over this planet looking for that certain something that no ones ever discovered before. The secret is that brewers have been brewing the way they have and following tradition because of one thing, it works! You'll see a million and one articles about year and ingredients at this temp all over the place and koodoos to them because they got it to work.

Here's the real deal, you can play with ingredients all day long, but when it comes the the yeast, let history be your guide. By flavors and style, pay attention to what's been done and you'll come out golden even on the most out of the box ingredients you can come up with!
Beligian monks have done it for a couple thousand years.

wheebz said:
yes and no

to be honest im kind of in a shitty mood to answer this to the extent I should

no job as of last friday thanks to a last minute 24 hour notice, and no place to live as of the end of next week, so yea

broke and homeless, gotta love it right?
Hey fuckface.  I am starting at Alco next Monday.  I will be happy to buy you some Extra Gold and Mind Erasers until you strike gold on your brewery.  Hit me up, if I can help you however, I will.

JayT - Wheebz needed to see his kid earlier this week, LOL ...

Wheebz - I have a problem ...

I ... Like ... Big ... Stouts ... and I cannot lie.

Can you share a little guiding light (time permitting, when you feel like it - there's no hurry) on bigguns' at homebrew scale/quantity? ...

sorry, should have been more specific ...

i really like the thick, chewy quality some have. i'm wondering what contributes (mash temp's one, right?) to that property. I often like the instances w/ dark tan head, and what I'd call a heavy butterscotch or light toffee/caramel quality ...

just some Google words or technique to muck around w/ late at night ...

wondering if you have to mash more than once into the same wort to make a big one, or ? ...

just a little aiming is all i'm looking for, I figured I'd go off and formulate a recipe after and submit it for critique/improvements ...

my understanding is they take a good while to clean-up etc ...

imperial stouts are just like any other beer

thicker chewy quality is due to the extreme amounts of unfermentable sugars

most imperial stouts that you say are thick finish at around 5.5 to 6.5 plato, so theres a lot of stuff left over for mouthfeel

Depending on what I am doing, I will either mash it low at 146, then bring it up to 154, and finish it out at 160 over 90 minutes, but I have had very very good results with just single infusion at 152 to 154

here is one of the 13 of my imperial stout recipes for a 30 gallon batch, the formatting is all screwed up from copy pasting it

DATE: TANK: TURN #: BREW ID:
MALT       LOT ID POUND 22P HOPS          POUND
American 2 Row  100                                       KETTLE
Chocolate  4    
Carafa III Debittered  3                      30  IBU                        Northern Brewer 9% 3oz
Black Patent   1                                              FINISH
Flaked Oats  4
Roasted Barley  2
Special B  3
Total       117
MASH PROGRAM
MASH LIQUOR  4:1  first         gallons           TEMP  Citric Acid 30g
START TIME                                                 (5.4-5.5)
step one Mash in @                              pH
step two                                                                        Soak at 152 for 60 min Conversion
LAUTER PROGRAM

Mash temp               frequency      @                                volume/time
vorlauf
to kettle 
end sparge sparge volume
time sparge temp vol meter vol panel temp inline temp FR            VOL

Lauter Time (to kettle - kettle full time)
pHs: First Wort    Last Wort             
Plato: First Wort    Last Wort            
KETTLE PROGRAM
bottom fired
both fired
KETTLE FULL VOLUME (TARGET = 41 gallons) FERMCAP: 2ml

kettle full time (reset steam meter)
boil start (add Kettle Hops) Kettle gravity =
Yeastex: 1/2oz  @ 75 min 
Kettlekleer 5 tabs@ 80min. Kettle pH =
boil end (90 min)
WHIRLPOOL PROGRAM
whirlpool full time (add W-Pool molasses) FERMCAP: ml Whirlpool gravity=
transfer start (rest 20 min) Whirlpool pH =
transfer end (cool in @ 66F) Oxygen(ppm) =
BBL COOL IN PITCH 175G YEAST
All data is filled out correctly. Signed Off  by:                                               Date:                  Time;                            

cool, i'll clean it up and google the ingredients to read about their contribution and then start a biabacus spreadsheet for my kettle and a scaled down batch and then see what you think about what i've come up with, and then i'll brew it within a few weeks.

everything should be here for next weekend.

thx.

Have you had one of the Small Town Brewery Not Your Father's Root Beer?

I feel like it's fairly excellent tasting as a 6% beverage, and a little bit of a mind-bender as an "ale" ...

I don't know, but I do know, as of ten minutes ago, that their Curmudgeon is amongst my favorite non-stout beers =)

One of the best ales I've ever experienced. I keep finding new beers to love, what can I say ...

Someone posted a picture of a porter from DuClaw brewing called Sweet Baby Jesus, a chocolate peanut butter porter. Was wondering if you'd ever had a chance to try one, sounds like something you might go for GM!

Back