beer ASK WHEEBZ

wheebz said:
I use nutrients all the time

better to have more than not enough

allows for a completely healthy fermentation at any temps, and a complete fermentation, and can help prevent them by dying off too soon and stalling

Personally I think yeast nutrients for starters isnt necessary

thats only providing nutrients for the yeast that take up the amount in the starter. Once you pitch the starter, the yeast propagate again and build up volume to their new wort, and those new yeasts need the nutrients as much if not more than the yeast that make up the starter, since they will be undergoing a completely anaerobic fermentation

can you ballpark how much i would want to add to my wort ... i'll have the 'system' open again after a few days to switch from a blow off tube to an airlock, and I could add some at that time ...

it's 2.5 gallons ...

thanks!

So for yeastex 82 I add 12 ounces per 30bbls so 12 ounces for 965 gallons so 1.2 ounces per 3 barrels so 7 grams a barrel. Add like 3 grams for 5 gallons to be safe. 1.5 at inoculation 1.5 after 2 days. Or at this point just add 2 grams and call it OK. Better than nothing

For distilling with a pure sucrose mash it's like a gram per liter but you have a bunch of goodies in theregards already
If you pitched an entire vial of viable yeast into a 2.5 gallon ferment then you won't need nutrients at that low of a gravity and that low of a quantity.
I also add pure zinc to brews as well but they are on a much larger scale. 12ml of liquid zinc per 30bbls. Don't worry about that though
At the home brew level nutrients aren't an issue if you make a starter for 5 gallons or pitch one 5 gallon smack pack or 1 5 gallon vial of white labs/ecy/any other 5 gallon pitchable

OK, cool, thanks ...

I'll add a bit when I switch out ...

I expect to have brewed up the other two remaining batches from the kits by the end of the coming holiday weekend, and then after that I'll do everything legit (recipe, schedules etc) ...

Mostly doing the kits as way to focus on the brewing ... like, literally ... not doing stupid things ... like when I unhooked the out from the pump and laid it in the sink, and because the recirc tub was under the water level, I siphoned like a half gallon down the drain before I could figure out why there was "so much beer in the tube" ... LOL ...

=)

So, Peppers in Beers, I know you've done some pepper beers and I'm starting to think about my Pumpkin Ale for this year. I'm going to go for 2 5 gal batches and I'd like to make one of them a true Flaming Pumpkin. I don't want to make it ridiculously hot, really would like it to have a bit of an itch, just so you know there's something there. I'm thinking of using a Fatalii or maybe just a good orange Hab. Question is what's the best way to get it in there without it getting too much? If I cut 1 pepper in half and hang it in the secondary for a couple days would that do it?

Cheers

Wheebz, I would like to buy you an Extra Gold and a Mind Eraser if you can find the time.  I am on days the next four so it would have to be like 6:30.  You know where, let me know.

jay I dont know where actually

unless you are talking about the old club, then yes I do

and RM, a half a hab hanging in the secondary for 2.5 gallons would be great, and it will only take a day or two, if you arent liking the spice then, add another half for another day or two and go until you like it

ASK WHEEBZ -

Would not having any foam during my mash be a sign, in hindsight, that the pH was screwing w/ extraction?

"Open" ... for Bob.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435864496.509612.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435864644.066301.jpg

Occasional whiffs of warm beer at my desk.

wheebz said:
jay I dont know where actually

unless you are talking about the old club, then yes I do

and RM, a half a hab hanging in the secondary for 2.5 gallons would be great, and it will only take a day or two, if you arent liking the spice then, add another half for another day or two and go until you like it
Yep that's where, but actually, they don't have extra gold anymore.  Maybe we'll have to drink the banquet beer.

Nice, when I was in college the first time I used to take my buddies out to the Aif Force base where beer, Coors Coors Light, Pearl and Lone Star, was 50 cents. We'd get hammered on next to nothing

I had Shiner for .50 today!!!!  They had it for a veterans group fundraiser, and it was $2 a bottle.  I drank it then, and now the fundraiser is over so they want to get rid of it.  I was like... hell yeah!!!

I miss that Officers club too, it was always filled with cute officers daughters who had a thing about bucking authority prime ground for getting lucky!

Wow, they closed Darwin's the 'raunt, in favor of keeping the brewery and the food truck ...

Sarasota has a bad habit of places only being able to stay hip for a few years ...

In Gainesville and MIA etc, the places re-invent in place ... but that never seems to happen here.

So, OK ... novice recipe development stuff ...

I'm thinking about using some of my saison yeast ...

I'm thinking like 90% pilsner malt, and like 10% flaked oats ...

Using magnum's for the bittering hops up front, and using some citra/galaxy as aroma/flavoring in the last 5 mins ...

Pitching starters from my aging stock of of 3724/3711/WLP566 ...

I have a feeling you are going to call for the classic hops for bittering (and I have saaz and hallertau etc), so I expect that, but I want to see what you have to say about my idea anyways ;) ... for the learning, LOL ...

Back