beer ASK WHEEBZ

wheebz said:
That's a lot of left over sugar. I don't think I've ever seen a beer shit out at that high of a gravity. Your gonna have bottle bombs regardless of what you do
It is only a gallon batch. I am guessing just toss and start over?

Those packets of dry yeast they send are suspect as hell, especially when pitched without rehydration before pitching ...

They live in who knows what non-air-conditioned temperature for who knows how long without refrigeration ...

For this weekend's batches, you might rehydrate the yeast in 10x or 20x the yeast's weight in pre-boiled and cooled < 90F tap water (which isn't much), and shake the filled fermenter longer than is comfortable after pitching to try to better oxygenate the wort ...

It's an improvement in process over their directions ...

I think it's worth considering a few packs of Safale US-05 to use in lieu of their kit yeast for the beers you have remaining ... I know it would be fine for the Chocolate Maple Porter and the Oatmeal Stout, and I can't remember what the other one you picked was ... I think it was a hefe or a wheat, and I'm not familiar enough to suggest whether 05 would worth for that kit, but I'm sure you'd be better off using it than the kit yeast for the Stout and Porter ...

stirstarters.com ... which can be purchased through Amazon in addition to the other places that distribute it ...

If you buy a different one, don't forget that you'll need a stir-bar, erlenmeyer flask, and some light DME or canned wort (Fast Pitch at Northern Brewer) if you are in the mood to shop ...

This is how it goes ...

Brew a batch, have a problem, try to solve it for future one's ... hopefully it smelled good enough cooking to hook you, I know the smell of the dark beers puts a smile on my face ... the pilsner base malt not so much.

;)

:CHEERS:

Been talking about this in PM w/ tctenten ...

I think it's worth going through the motions of bottling it, just so that when he's bottling his next batch, it's the second time he's bottled ...

We're talking about one gallon, split into 3x 32oz swing top's ...

I would pop those bottles in the fridge to slow the yeast way down ...

After an hour, you could check to see if there's any pressure building up ...

You might decide to dump it after a few hours, but not getting all of the experience before that is depriving yourself the opportunity to experience the frustration that's needed to drive you to be really focused when you brew the next time =) ...

Got to baby those little yeasties so they make it through the whole process ...

They need gentle temp changes, O2 to replicate, and then some nutrient needs and a stable temp to finish out ...

I say bottle it ...

... and then dump them to avoid a mess, perhaps getting a little feel for how much gas pressure they make in only a couple of hours along the way ...

Just wait until it's a big beer ... everything's more intense, there's a lot more sugar to have to get chewed up, and a lot more CO2 made in the process ...

PS - Welcome to being a middle-aged noob ... ain't it grande? :cheers:

Feel free to not drink the beer, but go ahead and bottle them ... you'll figure out how to sanitize the bottles, the tubing etc ...

What did I do? ...

I bought kegs and a CO2 tank and moved on from that shit instantly =)

I would just go ahead and bottle it too. Don't use as much sugar to prime it though. Put them in a bucket with a cover so if they do blow you don't have a mess. I bottled some of mine that didn't finish off all the way in glass, and none of them blew up. Worth a shot.

My Danielle is celebrating the distinct lack of trick-or-treat folks, but eating plenty of candy ...

I will have to endure her complaining about her stomach, and then her ass to start tomorrow ...

tctenten said:
I will bottle tomorrow. I will assume that I should skip the honey mixture that the recipe calls for?

I can put them in my spare fridge and see what happens.

With an FG of 1.028, yeah, I'd drop the honey, just bottle them, place them in a bucket with a lid and place them some place not too warm but not too cold either. Let them build up CO2 slowly. Try one after a week.

grantmichaels said:
ASK WHEEBZ -

I was trying to think through the why of fining dark-colored beer? ...

Is it to drop the yeast out? ...

yep

drop yeast out, prolong shelf life, and you can tell a difference in a fined beer and non fined beer even if it is dark when you look at it

cool ... was curious only because I'd read that over-doing the fining can detract from head retention, so i wanted to make sure i recorded the benefit in my mental model ...

i'm actually about to rack the two stouts off their cakes and into their service kegs ...

i was planning on how to plug them in to carb and making some decisions about which chestie they'll be in, and it makes me wonder a 2nd thing ...

is the air space technically shared between all 4x kegs in my keezer if they are on a simple distributor block? ... is this a flavor or aroma mingling issue? ...

i'm planning to upgrade to having secondary reg regardless, but i was just thinking that there's possibly some issues w/ comingling of aromatics in the shared headspace ...

yes they will be shared, and no, with 2 very similar beers you shouldnt worry about sharing aromatics and it affecting each other, I have all 3 kegs in my kegerator off of one distribution block and they are 3 very different beers all the time

ASK WHEEBZ -

I haven't been able to come up with anything to try to do w/ the 2-3 gallons of cloying barleywine ...

Worth dumping it into an HDPE and innoculating it w/ a breather lid or anything fun, or just dump and run? ...

I'm not drinking that one, I can't make 8 seconds before it makes my stomach do the sideway's chili-winder ...

wheebz said:
i wouldnt ever want to drink an innoculated barleywine with anything other than an english yeast strain and some time

dump it

ok, no big deal ...

i'll go plug JayT's stout into that position later on ...

thanks.

Back