beer ASK WHEEBZ

From what I've read, it's good for a few months if not longer. Palmer says once it looks like peanut butter throw it out. It will gradually die out. I've seen some people say they've used it after a year too. It's recommended to only do it 3-5 times before starting over with a new vial/pouch.

I wouldnt let it sit for more than a month to be honest.

Your viability goes way down the longer it sits

And as far as determining cell count, what grant said is exactly right

Do a methylene blue test and take a hemocytometer and figure out your viability that way

Well, I don't see me going and buying any of that equipment so I'll just see what happens. I'll just make sure I have some us04 on hand if it doesn't work out.

wheebz said:
its to be a pain in the ass to wheebz so he can ask more questions 

the only reason i haven't already is because of that, actually ...

in fairness - i'm happy to help you w/ the web stuff for your launch ...

i can't wait for my turn to be miyagi ...
tctenten said:

Why?  Is it to replicate or be more consistent with flavor?

because later generations of yeast, in some cases, provide characteristics and qualities that you can't get out of the initial batch ... from what i've heard/read ...

and yeah, yeast cost and the PITA of shipping them to Florida and not knowing how many have died in the heat, sucks ... it's an unknown variable ...
IN OTHER NEWS -

Watch an old ep of Brew Masters last night where they had stuck fermentation on DFH 120 ...

The looks on assistant brewer's faces when they pulled the plug on $500k worth of under-attentuated beer, and let it go down the floor drains almost made me shed a tear, but I was too tired to cry ...

They have profit sharing, and their 120 beer uses like 4-5x the yeast and hops and a shit-ton of grain, and dumping that one cut deeply into the profit of everything ...

Pain by proxy.

they didnt actually dump that entire batch

they did that for the TV show

they made another beer out of it, and blended them together

they also did the same thing with Fort, and made a beer called Black and Red, and added peppermint, and it was fucking awful

oh yeah, dumped a tank for the show, and kept multiple other's to blend ...

PR move, lol ...

maybe that's why the shop got  canceled after a single season =)

i'm not a DFH fan, personally ...
wheebz said:
they made another beer out of it, and blended them together

want to help me blend my barleywine? ...

... or the bhut stout? ...

j/k =)

breweries looking a lot like start-up's to me ...

build it up, get bought out ...

i saw some grumbles on FB today that whatever OB is doing to open up in Austin is aligned w/ folks against homebrewing/indie breweries down there, or whatever ...

i'm already kind of used to this from web shit ...

InBev is insane. It would be heartbreaking to have a midsize brewery and have some big brewery come buy it out. I know you'd probably end up very wealthy, but all that sweat equity doesn't have a dollar value some times.
Living right outside St Louis I've always been an AB fan, but InBev kind of turned me off from it. I'll still drink a Bud at a ball game but it's just not the same now.

I get the impression that running a brewery is soulcrushing ... so it's probably pretty easy to transition from worn out, to rich and free ...

Listen to the folks starting up breweries on the podcasts and they are all beat to shit ...

Each grown stage brings issues with scaling equipment and recipes and yeast, against ingredients that fluctuate in characteristics from season to season, and constant competition ...

Ugh ... seems like a pressure cooker.

That's how it is in any business. Growing pains. You just have to decide how big/ how much money you want to make. Anything you own is a grind. There is always something to worry about. That's why you have love what you do if your gonna own it.

Ozzy2001 said:
That's how it is in any business. Growing pains. You just have to decide how big/ how much money you want to make. Anything you own is a grind. There is always something to worry about. That's why you have love what you do if your gonna own it.

Yeah, but also, it gets more and more boring in terms of making beer ...

It's amazing how everything gets stripped down over time ...

You'll see constraints seem to start to pop up ... like, "we can only mash in at 151F for all the batches" ... or, "we use Cal Ale (and mean, *only* use Cal Ale)" ...

The more successful a beer gets, the more focus it requires ...

I don't know, I like the whole conceptual freedom of being able to brew whatever the f**k I want to drink in the near future! ...

My whole schtick is born out of the dearth of stout in the summertime, I guess ...

Yeah, but if you have a successful brew that's how you make the money and it should get easier. The employees do the same thing every time with that brew and your efficiency, in terms of employees working should increase.
We have a town home 4 family apartment that we've been building for about 15 years now. Does it get boring sometimes? Yes. But it is so easy now to build it that we can probably build it far cheaper than if we gave that plan to another company. Surely, any brewery makes smaller experimental batches that they can play with and definitely seasonal.

I can sooner imagine owning a B&B community of tiny houses and incorporating a little bit of gastropub, than a packaging brewery, personally.

I guess it's a bit selfish, but I don't have much drive to have to brew the beers that the majority of people seem to want, lol ...
It's just a different commitment, I guess ...

The goal is to brew a beer that you think is great and then people loving it too and you mass produce it. It's like musicians. When they start out, a lot of them play/create something they love. If other people love it, even better. When you create something you think people will like instead I agree it would be hard to enjoy it because you don't love it.
I experience it a little when people pick out something I think is fugly on a house. Fortunately, I don't make every house look like that or I would hate it.

Back