beer ASK WHEEBZ

Missing out on a huge JDubs B-W event w/ the bottle release of their RIS, San Cristobal (SK Rum Barrel-Aged Stout) ...

12063570_988334187891925_8509663921001307748_n.jpg

But one's gotta do what they gotta do to brew ...

12096019_720592788073399_4099233060050237907_n.jpg

Almost forgot the ? ...

Oops ...

ASK WHEEBZ -

Does hop extract have to be refrigerated?

Thanks.

:cheers:

grantmichaels said:

ASK WHEEBZ -

Does hop extract have to be refrigerated?
:cheers:

If one wants to make something that has notes of port in it, would a tiny bit of brandy and wine be a decent approximation ...

I'm thinking minute quantity here.

grantmichaels said:

If one wants to make something that has notes of port in it, would a tiny bit of brandy and wine be a decent approximation ...

I'm thinking minute quantity here.
I think that you might also need to know when the best time to add it is.

Once it's opened, yes to the extract

If you wanted port quality, oxygenating beer post primary depending on style can give you those qualities, i.e. aging.

Or you could age some oak chips in port for a week then toss them in

Or you could just dump port in to the beer. I used to do that all the time with Rasputin.

ASK WHEEBZ -

Do you like Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout? ...

I don't tend to like the Local 1 or Local 2 or other lighter-colored beer offerings, but there's often a lot of respect given to G. Oliver and especially for the seasonal RIS ...

I'm just wondering if you've had it, and/or liked it, and can liken to anything else I might have had ...

Mostly just trying to decide if brewing a clone recipe would be more or less rewarding, is all ...

CHEERS!

Wheebz:

When mashing your grains is there a problem with circulating the wort through some tubing that is in the HLT in order to maintain your temp or to initiate a change in temp? The setup I'm looking at to copy for my home brew system is set up so that the wort does that and then with a change in where you tubes plug in you initiate your Sparge. Sounded like a good idea as a way to maintain your mash temp but I wasn't sure if it would mess with the mash process or not.

Grant find a bottle of black ops

RM I don't do mash recirculation. It's not the liquid that you need to maintain temp on its the grains themselves and i call it a "rest" for a reason. I will mix the mash to change temperatures for rests but thats the entire thing. I've never seen a mash tun drop more than a degree, maybe 2 at the most, in an hour.

wheebz said:
Grant find a bottle of black ops

RM I don't do mash recirculation. It's not the liquid that you need to maintain temp on its the grains themselves and i call it a "rest" for a reason. I will mix the mash to change temperatures for rests but thats the entire thing. I've never seen a mash tun drop more than a degree, maybe 2 at the most, in an hour.

Gotcha re: Black Ops.

You just talked me out of the only thing I was even considering doing for the larger batches ...

It's not going to be this week's batches - which I'm going to do the way I have, using what I have been using - but for the one's thereafter, I'm going to try stripping it down for the split-wort batches ...

wheebz said:
Or here is another option.

Let it warm to room temp, or higher, and hit it with 2 scoops of unpasteurized plain Greek yogurt and a vial of brettanomyces bruxelensis, and let it sit for 5 or 6 weeks

If it's a true summer solstice clone and you already have some sort of LAB in there that went through an aerobic propagation, the brett should clean up the nasty feat flavors and smells, and the other LAB will bring it down to a proper pH for a sour golden ale very quickly for the brett to accomplish that.

Take a quick pH reading of it and tell me what it is before you dump it. If you can get a titrateable acid reading instead of a pH reading that would be better, I just don't know your equipment
All I have is a battery operated ph tester. It's at 5.0 right now.

Sounds good. Is this something that some fruit flavoring would be good in, or would that be too much?
WLP644 it is.
What kind of starter will I need to make with an already fermented batch too?
There is also a WLP650. Not sure if there is much difference.

Wheebz;

First time brewer here and I was going to bottle tomorrow morning. Beer has been in the fermenter for the last 2 weeks and I Have not noticed any activity with the wort. It is a one gallon kit that should have a 6.0 ABV. My gravity reading were 1.035 after mash, 1.06 after boil but pre yeast and 1.028 tonight.

Is it ok to bottle? I did follow the kits instruction to a T, and they did not give any guidelines or mention anything about Gravity readings.

Thanks

Since you have three 32oz swing-top's, you might be able to burp them without it being too tedious ... or maybe Wheebz has some magic to calc a lesser amount of sugar to use during bottling based on the amount of sugar left in solution ...

... or there's PET bottles, like Ozzy used!

Back